CHAPTER SIX

Edelweiss

Lisa has been staring at the various vials and containers that filled the shelf. She can hardly tell one vial from another. Most of them were filled with black powder, a couple with various colored liquids and ground up leaves, and one weird looking pair of dried animal paw hidden by the bottom shelf. The room felt cramped, it’s only source of light was from a small window by the table. It was a long walk away from the pavilion and an even longer walk away from her quarters. It was hard to tell how much time had passed, Lisa grew impatient at constantly turning the hourglass. Leaving it untouched after a servant brought her breakfast. 

 

Lisa was tempted to mix away things and be done with this whole antidote fiasco, which would then give her enough time to figure out how to get back. There were multiple possible outcomes out of this. One, she may actually kill the king in the process - how many of these ingredients were actually safe to consume? She knew ancient people were not that good at identifying which was toxic and which weren’t. She remembered reading about that for an exam once. Two, she might actually be lucky enough not to kill the king and maybe, just maybe … create something useful enough to get rid of some of the king’s symptoms. Just enough to buy her credibility. The latter was highly unlikely though, she’s bound to mess this up in one way or another. She groaned, burying her face in her arms. The safest way out of this is to buy herself enough time until Yuan got back, he’d probably be more familiar with everything that’s on that weird shelf and she could let him do all the mixing. All she needed to do was take her time feigning work for two weeks. Simple enough, except she had to report to Jungkook. Well, I can lie about it -- no harm in ensuring the antidote comes out perfectly, right? She stood up, stretching her body to shake away the incoming drowsiness. She was near the woods and the view outside look pretty inviting. It wouldn’t hurt to enjoy a bit of sunshine. 

 

She decided on taking a walk. The study was close to a forest perfect for killing time before lunch. Lisa made sure not to stray too far as she followed a beaten path, most of it was covered with fallen leaves that crunched beneath her sandals. The trees were becoming less dense as she neared a clearing. It looked beautiful, everything looked so picturesque -- she saw scenes from dramas that showed how Joseon looked, but this was different. This was real. Closing her eyes, Lisa tried to soak in as much fresh air as she can. 

 

The silence was broken by a sweet melody nearby. Slow and mesmerizing, it flowed through her, like water through a sieve, stirring too many emotions at once. The melody was coming from a secluded spot hidden behind a canopy of trees, where it was getting louder. Every dulcet note vibrated and tugged at her heartstrings, calling out to her. Lisa slowly approached, careful not to step on leaves. Peering through, she found her sitting on a fallen tree trunk, eyes closed, her head swaying along with the melancholic melody. She still had her eyes closed, a wistful smile tugged at her lips as she hummed. 

 

Her hair was braided and tied back with a wide ribbon, a hair pin decorated with pink flowers adorned the side of her head, keeping in place any stray hair. Lisa found herself staring at her longer than she should, unaware that the song had stopped. 

 

“You have a beautiful voice.” sunlight looked good on Jennie, it reminded Lisa of spring.

 

Jennie looked back, a brief look of surprise on her face. 

 

“I didn’t mean to interrupt you, I just happened to be appreciating the view over there and heard --”

 

“Why do you feel the need to apologize Lisa?” the way she said her name made Lisa look away, her cheeks warming. 

 

“I don’t know, your song sounded so … personal. I felt like an intruder..”

 

“Come sit with me,” Jennie gestured to the empty space beside her, the fallen trunk was overgrown with moss and weeds, Lisa had to clear some that may stain her jeogori. “What brings you to this part of the palace?”

 

Lisa was about to answer when she remembered old man Yuan “The study we’ve chosen is located near the Kim family, take caution, he is a very powerful man and have strong influence over the decisions made by the Yangban.” stopping herself in time. 

 

“I was taking a walk, I had nothing to do..” Lisa wasn’t technically lying, she only left out the part where she was bored to death at figuring out what to do with the antidote. 

 

A comfortable silence enveloped them. Jennie didn’t say anything in return, she kept on twisting the end of her chima, playing and tugging at the intricate seams. Lisa tried her best not to stare at her, directing her gaze at the clearing instead. 

 

“Mae-do meon-jeo maj-neun ge nas-da” Jennie said in a tired voice, her eyes closed

 

It’s better to get beaten by the whip first. (매도 먼저 맞는 게 낫다 )

 

“Tell me Lisa… do you ever tire of doing what is expected of you?” Jennie breathed deeply and looked at her with an expression she can’t read. 

 

“No.” Lisa stood up and looked over at Jennie who had a surprised look. “I never knew what was expected of me back then so I never bothered with it. You can’t tire of things you don’t know about right?” Lisa held her hand, gesturing for Jennie to take it. “All these.” gesturing to the forest with her free hand and smiling back at Jennie “is making you sad, why don’t we go and find something more interesting to do Agasshi?”

Jennie’s hand was soft as she took up Lisa’s offer. “What do you have in mind?”

 

They were making their way back to the palace, treading through the beaten path -- taking their time. 

 

“I don’t know. I have to go back to -- “ Lisa bit her tongue, stopping herself in time. 

 

“Back to what?” 

 

“Uhh.. back to Chaeyoung, she mentioned she needed to change my bandages.” she reasoned out. She did need to have them changed, although she clearly remembered Chaeyoung would be the one to find her, not the other way around. 

 

They passed by the study and Lisa casually looked back to ensure no one came to see her while she was gone. The doors are still closed -- good. 

 

“I was asking you a question.” 

 

“Huh?”

 

Jennie gave her hand a quick squeeze, her forehead wrinkled in annoyance, “Do you know the way back to Chaeyoung’s clinic?”

 

“Yes! Of course… I -” Lisa took a sharp left, stringing along Jennie who suddenly stopped, pulling her back in the process. 

 

“Hey!” 

 

She gave Lisa a serious look, “No you don’t.” 

 

“Yes I do.” 

 

Jennie rolled her eyes “No, if you did we would have gone the other way. Chaeyoung’s clinic is over here.” Before Lisa could answer back, Jennie pulled at her bringing their faces closer “Lisa don’t ever lie to me again.” Flips and flutters, her heart was making a habit out of this.

 

Her ears were probably red with embarrassment, she suddenly felt hot. “I.. uh… I wasn’t… It was..”

 

Jennie’s laughter rang out, her cheeks puffing to twice its size. Jennie pulled her out of her stupor, dragging her awkward along.

 

--------------------------------------------------

They stood awkwardly in front of Chaeyoung’s clinic, Jennie’s demeanor changed as they passed by a couple of ladies in court. She had her back straight and barely said a word to Lisa as they walked, ensuring they had enough space between them. 

 

“Uh, you can go and do whatever it is you need to. I’ll be fine on my own.” 

 

“It’s fine, I’m not needed until after lunch.” Jennie knocked “Park Chaeyoung?”

 

There was no answer. “Park Chaeyoung!?”, the only answer they got was the sound of birds perched on the clinic’s roof. 

 

 “She must have gone out.” 

 

“Look, we can go back and go our separate ways. It’s fine I can retrace my steps and --”

 

She gave Lisa a glare, “Why do you insist on me leaving? Was it not you who offered to escape the comfort of the forest?” 

 

“Yes, but…”

 

If people had auras around them indicating emotions. She’d bet her whole yearly allowance Jennie’s aura would be red. She was fuming and huffing, her harsh eyes drilling holes into Lisa. Out of nowhere, she took LIsa’s hand forcefully and dragged her away. Headed for the direction of the quarters. Lisa kept shut, her wrist burning against Jennie’s surprisingly strong grip as she allowed herself to be led away by a cute, angry looking human personification of a cat. 

 

A younger looking woman approached them and bowed.

 

“Seonha, go and fetch me water, a clean cloth and a cloth long enough to tie around her shoulders.” gesturing to Lisa. 

 

The servant went off to gather what her mistress has instructed. Jennie was still holding her hand as they entered a large room. It was three times larger than the one she had and Lisa already considered that one big. 

 

“Sit.” Practically pushing Lisa down onto one of the cushion chairs. 

 

Jennie took the other one in front of her and sat down gruffly. Still shooting daggers at Lisa. 

 

“Agasshi” the servant was back with everything Jennie has requested, placing them beside her.  

 

“You may leave. If anyone comes looking for me, tell them I am with an important guest” dismissing her curtly. 

 

“You.” Lisa gulped, harsh feline eyes looked at her making her squirm. “Come closer.” 

 

“Wha--”

 

Jennie rolled her eyes and sat closer to Lisa, her hands were already trying to remove half of her chima. Lisa froze, cold fingertips grazed her shoulder and worked on deftly untying the makeshift bandage exposing her healing wound. Lisa did not want Jennie to see the ugly bruise she had on her side. She breathed a sigh of relief when she realized Jennie did not fully remove her chima, the bruise safely hidden underneath. Jennie gasped, harsh feline eyes softening as she traced the length of the wound. All of this was making Lisa dizzy, Jennie was so close she could see her beautiful eyelashes and her scent was making Lisa feel things she shouldn’t.

 

 Jennie still had her fingers against her wound. “I’m sorry.” she sounded so small.

 

Lisa couldn’t find her voice to answer, she looked at Jennie who went to dip the cloth in the small basin filled with water. She looked so vulnerable as she gently wiped away the remnants of the ointment Chaeyoung used on the wound. The flesh around it was no longer swelling, what was left was a small bruise from when Kai held onto it firmly yesterday. Jennie worked slowly, carefully wiping away the dried blood, and washing the cloth for another round. Jennie looked at her through her lashes, a complete 360 degree turn from her previous mood. She tied the cloth around her shoulder, securing it in place with a brass pin. Lisa looked away, ashamed to admit to herself she craved Jennie’s gentle touch on her shoulder. 

 

“I’ll tell Jisoo-eonnie to tell Chaeyoung your wound is looking a lot better.”

 

“Thank you. I was not expecting you to do it yourself.” 

 

“I wanted to be a physician when I was young, Jisoo-eonnie...she, “ Jennie reddened. “Never mind that. I was told at a young age, not to entertain such foolish dreams. Being a physician was unbecoming for a public official’s daughter.” 

 

“That’s unfortunate, you have such rigid rules in place.”

 

“Family and status is important in Joseon Lisa, it is everything.”

 

“Agasshi, Forgive me I told them you had a guest over, but your father insisted.”

 

Jennie stood up just in time for a man with a hard set expression on his face barrel through the door. 

 

“Abanim …”

 

He stood proudly, garbed in the same robe as the man who welcomed Jungkook when they arrived. He had multiple gold rings on his fingers and had an air of authority as he towered over the men that accompanied him. One of which Lisa saw was Kai. 

 

“Jennie, I need to talk to you,” his voice stern “and who is this?” as he locked his gaze on Lisa.

 

“Allow me minister, this is Lisa. An esteemed guest of my brother.” Kai answered, 

 

“Is that so? Well, it’s a pleasure.” smiling, before addressing Jennie. “Meet me in my study after the afternoon meals.” Turning on his heel and leaving as fast as he arrived. 

 

“Lisa, forgive me but I need you to leave.” Jennie had her back to her

 

Lisa could see the subtle change in her posture. Jennie called out to Seonha, instructing her to accompany Lisa back to her quarters. Jennie had proceeded to leave them as she went to her bedchamber as soon as Seonha bowed, not bothering to acknowledge Lisa’s presence.

 

-------------------------------------------

 

Seonha was like any other servant in the palace, silent and tried her best to avert her gaze. Lisa had asked her to accompany her back to the study. She still had to work on what to tell Jungkook for the update. 

 

“Lisa!”

 

Park Chaeyoung was smiling at her and waved from the end of the hallway with Jisoo beside her.

 


A/N: I added the english translation and hangul for the korean proverb Jennie mentioned in case you guys wanted to look up what it means. I enjoyed writing this chapter, hoping you guys like it. Do tell me what you guys feel about it. We'll get to know more about Chaesoo in the next updates and hopefully more Jenlisa. yay! Have a great day ahead reader!

 

Omo, I'm sorry the first draft I wrote the french word Chemin instead of Chima (upper garment for hanbok). I'm sorry