CHAPTER FIVE

Edelweiss

It took Lisa a full minute to internalize what she was told, she can barely make it through university, had a hard time finishing term papers and was clawing her way out of college -- being told this, did not help at all.

 

"I'm sorry, I think you've made a mistake.... I can barely keep my life together, what makes you think I can do this?"

 

“Lisa, please. I ask of nothing else but this. Help my father... help the king and I will give you anything in return... Anything."

 

"Look..." Lisa stood up and backed away, pinching the bridge of her nose -- another headache was on its way. "I've got to be honest with you, since we're being open and all. Just to get this off my chest and to be perfectly fair with you. I have no idea why I'm here, ok? I just want to go back to whatever, wherever I came from. I really can't do this. I'm not the one you're looking for."

 

Jungkook tried reaching out but stopped. "Please do not force me to resort to things I do not wish to do." his tone grew dark, unaware of how hard he clenched his fist, fingers biting against his palms. "I’ve set up an appointment for you to meet my teacher and work on an antidote tomorrow.” There was a certain finality to his voice. They started off with Jungkook being vulnerable, this Jungkook was different. His while being screamed authority -- showing fully well how he was destined to be the next king.

 

Jungkook stood up, approaching Lisa cautiously. "Let's come to an agreement then shall we? I've been taught a lot of things and diplomacy has always had a special place in my heart..." he gave her a sad smile "Work with my teacher while I continue to search for the flower. Either way, I'll do my best to help you with whatever it is you wish. There is no loss in this Lisa."

 

The sound of incoming footsteps made Lisa turn around, "Seja-Jeoha, I have her meal prepared. Where would you like to have it laid out?"

 

"My study is not as presentable as I wish it would be. I find it a great dishonor to have such an esteemed guest take her first meal here. Prepare the dining hall, I'll join her there as soon as I finish up here." the servant bowed, while Jungkook turned towards her  "You don't have to give me an answer now, but I do hope you reconsider. Follow him, he will accompany you. We can continue where we left off tomorrow once you've had a full night's rest." He turned away, picking up a stray scroll by the floor.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Lisa went along with the servant, who made sure he kept his gaze turned away and his head bowed. The dining hall was grand, she's watched a couple of K-drama's to know that this is where they usually held feasts. She could only imagine how grander it would look when filled with people, food and merry music. Now it felt like an empty carcass. The only thing keeping her company was the sound of her spoon against the brass bowl. They’ve prepared a full meal for her despite it being late in the afternoon. 

 

Lisa ate slowly… they make really good kimchi.. She’s left with no choice, Jungkook was basically telling her to create an antidote or have herself kicked out of the palace for not cooperating, and we all know how good she is when it comes to being alone in a time period she dozed off of during class. She remembered the basics, but everything seemed far more complex here… 

 

“Penny for your thoughts?” 

 

Lisa looked up, the scent of roses and lilacs mixed with the delightful aroma of spices and noodles. Jennie was wearing her hair down, it glistened against the orange glow of torches inside the hall, masking her with a soft yellow hue as she took the second seat away from her.

 

“Have you been stalking me agasshi?” Lisa was in no mood to fight, she just wanted to eat in peace. 

 

Jennie looked back at her curiously “Stalking?” 

 

Lisa wanted to hit herself in the head, of course she wouldn’t know what it meant! “Uhh.. what I meant was, do you follow people around a lot?”

 

“You speak in such an odd way.” Jennie smiled, wait why is she smiling at me like that?  This feels off, Lisa was fully expecting her to throw a tantrum, especially with what happened at the hallway. This Jennie…  is…. Lisa shook her head, they’ve only met for a day -- not even 24 hours and she’s already showing multiple facets of personalities.

 

There was an awkward silence between the two, Lisa tried her best to focus on the food. She can’t help but be fully aware of the way Jennie kept on looking at her.

 

“I’ve been told you’ll be staying here for a while, we’ll be seeing more of each other. Don’t you think that’s … exciting?” There it was, the subtle playfulness in her tone. “We met at such a compromising situation that we’ve both given each other a bad impression.”

 

“You..”

 

“Hmm?” 

 

Lisa looked up, meeting her gaze briefly before moving on to admire her … no… stop it … Lisa darted her eyes to look at the torch behind Jennie. It was … what’s the word she’s looking for? Interesting.. Yes…  the torch was far more interesting. Jennie was tilting her head, allowing her hair to flow against her shoulder.

 

“You made a bad impression of yourself. Has anybody told you how incredibly rude it is to stab people? No matter how … what’s the word you used? Peculiar…  no matter how peculiar they may be.”

 

Jennie’s laugh flowed through her like water, it echoed through the empty hall and bounced off the walls suspended in the air. She looked innocent when she laughed, she had a gummy smile making her look younger and more… kinder. Her cheeks plumped. Dumplings.. That was the first thing that came to mind when she laughed, her cheeks looked like dumplings. Lisa can’t help but smile and gradually chuckled. Her laughter was surprisingly infectious.

 

“Why is that the first thing you say to me whenever we cross paths? Is that the only endearing quality you can remember me by?” Jennie’s eyes twinkled, this was beginning to be Lisa’s favorite version of her, somehow she had her walls down.

 

“It’s kind of hard to think about what other qualities you have when we’ve only had the pleasure of crashing into each other, you trying to stab me out of nowhere just because I look ‘peculiar’, and you… acting all innocent when all I wanted was an apology.” 

 

“Well, I did come here to apologize.” This time it was Jennie that looked away “I don’t have time to explain why I did what I did.” The smirk was back and the playfulness gone. It’s like she had an internal switch and it irked Lisa, not in a bad way. It made her want to know her more and she knows just how difficult that would be. She was a difficult puzzle to piece. 

 

“Why don’t you stay and keep me company? It’s the least you could for almost --”

 

“Killing you? You’re not forgetting this that easily are you?”

 

“No… so, how about it? Is it a yes or a yes Agasshi?” 

 

Jennie bit her lower lip while she considered the offer. Lisa was trying not to look expectant, she could feel the flips and flutters again.

 

“It would be... “ Jennie answered back slowly, carefully choosing her next words. “A pleasure. I may not have another opportunity to sit and have a decent, civil conversation with someone whom I find very amusing -- and tried very much to murder” She smiled, winking at Lisa “However there are certain matters I need to attend to and, Jisoo-eonnie may have returned from her visit to Chaeyoung and must be looking for me. Maybe the next time we have an opportunity such as this, it would be over something as friends and not as strangers who always seem to be in aggravating situations” Jennie stood up and left without a glance back. 

 

“So much for trying to get to know you…” Lisa mumbled under her breath, staring blankly at the cold soup for a while. She finally decided to look for the servant. She lost her appetite and wanted to sleep away the heavy feeling she had.


 

-----------------------------------------------

 

The first thing Lisa saw when she woke up was the sunlight that poured through the thin papered walls, washing the room with an ethereal glow. Lisa fixed her gaze towards the open windows, bathing her face with warmth. The glaring sunlight made her shield her eyes, made her see light seep through the space between her fingers. This is real. It’s not a dream.  Lisa felt for the sheets, holding on to them too tightly. Lisa half wished everything was a dream, half of her held on to this weird, exciting chapter. 

 

“Agasshi..”

 

Lisa groaned “Really? This early in the morning.” She said through gritted teeth, burying her head into the pillows.

 

“We have your bath ready and drawn. Seja-Jeoha is waiting for you by the Pavilion.”

 

“Can you come back at a later time? I would very much like to go back to sleep please.”

 

“Agasshi, Seja-Jeoha requests you meet with him at once.” Yong-Min’s voice boomed, rattling the walls making her sit up. 

 

I swear that guy hates me… Lisa opened the door to allow the servants to fill up the tub and leave a fresh pair of chima and jeogori by her bed. Leaving her as soon as their task was done. Yong-Min stood by the door, waiting for her to finish. 

 

Lisa greeted him by rolling her eyes in irritation. She could see him eye her sharply from the corner of her eye. She knows the feeling was mutual. They walked silently towards a new part of the palace. It led off to a beautiful man made island connected to the palace grounds by a stone bridge, it’s balustrades depicted the zodiac. The pavilion was even more beautiful up close. A perfect marriage between wood and stone. Carvings of dragons adorned the stone pillars, in flight towards the heavens. Jungkook was with another man who he was in deep conversation with. 

 

Yong-Min announced her arrival, drawing both of their attention. 

 

“Lisa!”Jungkook came up to her “I hope by now you’ve made your decision? This is my teacher.... Yuan.” gesturing towards the kind looking old man by his side. 

 

Lisa bowed, acknowledging the presence of the scholar and the crown prince with a deep bow. “I really have no choice but to agree…”

 

Jungkook gave her a wide grin. “It’s decided then! He will show you to a private study away from the prying eyes of my father’s council. You may come and go as you wish, provided you keep me informed of any developments of the antidote. Everything you need, or will ever need will be available there. Yuan will be away tomorrow on a trip to Hongdae and will return in two weeks time. You will be working alone until then… that is if you wish to work with either me or Yong-Min.” 

 

Jungkook was spewing out information upon information and the only thing that entered Lisa’s mind was the same thought over and over I majored in dance, not chemistry.

 

Yuan looked at her and smiled. His eyes crinkled, disappearing amidst layers of crows feet. He moved closer and whispered “The study we’ve chosen is located near the Kim family, take caution, he is a very powerful man and have strong influence over the decisions made by the Yangban.”

 

Kim...Did he mean Kim Jennie’s father? 

 

“Yong-Min will take you there now, I’ll have someone take your meals there to you.”

 


A/N: Thank you to everyone who've read the story thus far, subscribed and left comments :). I'll try and update every 2 days if work isn't that hectic. Please do keep an eye out for Yong-Min as he's more than meets the eye and apologies for the brief jenlisa interactions in the past chapters, I promise the build up is finished and we'll see more of them soon. Do let me know what you guys think of the new chapter! Have a great day ahead reader!