Six

Story of My Life

 

The next day, I wake up, and Yoon Ah is still fast asleep. I try to be as quiet as possible when I’m washing up. After I am done, I walk to the living room and sit on the couch again. It’s so quiet. I don’t know what to do, so I stand up and start to tour the living room. There are pictures of Yoon Ah and her family. She has a mini bookshelf with some books and plants on it. Yoon Ah also has a desk right by the window. She has no TV, but she does have a laptop sitting on the desk. I keep taking my tour until I hear the door to Yoon Ah’s bedroom open. She walks to the living room. Her hair mussled.

“I’m sorry,” I apologize. “Was I too loud?”

“No. I’m sorry. I should wake up first to make you breakfast.”

“No. It’s fine. I’m not hungry yet. I usually don’t eat until late afternoon.”

“I should at least make something.” She walks to the kitchen, so I follow her. “How long have you been awake?”

“A few hours.”

“I’m sorry. I should’ve woken up.”

“No. I usually wake up later than this, but I guess, since this is not my own house, I woke up earlier than usual.”

Yoon Ah makes breakfast, and the both of us eat after she is done. After that, I help her wash the dishes. Then, I go sit on the couch while she goes wash up.

“Do you work today,” I ask her when she comes to the living room.

“No. I don’t have work today,” she replies.

I gesture for her to sit  on the couch with me.

“Thank you,” she says. Yoon Ah sits on one end of the couch, and I sit on the other side.

“Do you want to do something today,” I ask her.

“Like what?” she asks.

“I don’t know. Anything.”

“Like going out?”

“If you want to.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea,” Yoon Ah says. “What if we’re caught again?”

“Right. I don’t want you to be hurt again.”

“You would be hurt more than me. No?”

“Why would I?”

“Because they’re your fans. From what I know, you don’t want to disappoint them. If you do, won’t you be hurt too?”

“Yes and no. I want them to be happy, but I also want my own happiness. If they really are my fan, they would want me to be happy. No? I know some of them think of me as their own, but really I’m not. If they really want to be happy and want me to be happy, they won’t mind me having a girlfriend right? If they react like the other girls from the other day, then there is nothing else I can do. They can react like that, but I’m going to do what will make me happy.”

Yoon Ah nods her head. “Did you say girlfriend,” she asks me.

“Did I?”

“You did. You want a girlfriend?”

“I mean, it would be nice, but I wasn’t implying about a girlfriend. I was implying a girl friend. You know. A friend who is a girl.”

“Ahh. I see.”

“Do you want a boyfriend?”

“It would be nice to have someone there for you who will help and support you physically and mentally.”

“Right? Having to bare the stress, pain, and happiness can be overwhelming. Telling someone and having someone who is there for you will always be nice.”

We stare at each other for a short second before Yoon Ah looks away.

“So you have no one special in mind right now,” she asks me.

“I do, but I’m waiting for her,” I reply.

“Oh. She must be someone special for you to be waiting for her.”

“I think she’s pretty special. Because of me, she’s gone through so much.”

“I bet. Look at me.”

“Exactly. Do you have someone special in your mind?”

“No. I don’t.”

“Ahh.” I look down and pout.

“I have a question for you,” Yoon Ah says.

“Go ahead.”

“Excuse me if I’m being nosy, but Kyun Soo Jin.”

I freeze at the name.

“Who is she,” Yoon Ah asks. “Is she someone important in your life? You seem to react to her name every time someone says it.”

“Do you know any Kyun Soo Jins,” I ask her.

“Of course. My co-worker.”

“No one else?”

“No.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Really. Why?”

I turn my head to see her looking at me.

“I’ll tell you when the time is right,” I tell her.

“Oh. I’m sorry. Was I being nosy?”

“No. It’s just,” I pause. “I don’t think it’s the time for me to tell you this. It’s an event that will always be in my memory.”

“It must be special then.”

I shake my head. “It’s the opposite of special.”

“Oh.”

“Ask me again later.”

“Later when?”

“Later. When we get closer.”

“Alright.”

We spend the rest of the day talking and getting to know each other. I feel like we’ve gotten closer, and we have.

It’s been a few weeks now. The news about Yoon Ah and I have died down, so we are going out again, but of course, we are cautious.

Today, I am at home making dinner. When dinner is done, I sit on the couch to watch tv and eat my dinner. As I am eating and watching tv, I look at the time and it is about seven. I grab my phone and call Yoon Ah.

“Hello,” she says from the other line.

“Did you get off work,” I ask her.

“Yeah. I got off at six. Right now, I’m at home eating dinner.”

“I’m eating dinner too,” I say happily. “How’s your dinner?”

“It’s fine,” she says a little down.

“How was work,” I ask her.

“Fine. Same as usual.”

“Are you sure? You sound kind of down, Is something wrong?”

“No. It’s just, right before I got off, a rude customer came in and ruined my mood for the night.”

“Ahh. Well, that can happen. I’m sure the customer was having a rough day.”

“Yeah. I know, but she kind of brought my mood down with her. I just feel terrible.”

“Do you want to meet?”

“It’s okay.”

I think of a way to brighten her mood. “Today, I went out for lunch,” I tell her, “with my members. We were talking, and then Seok Jin told us one of his jokes. We usually don’t laugh, but today the joke was especially funny.”

“What’s the joke?”

I tell it to her, and I have no response back. “Isn’t that funny,” I chuckle.

“I don’t get it.”

I explain the joke to her, and she finally laughs. “See,” I ask her. “Isn’t it funny! I was drinking water at that time. I laughed so hard that I choked on the water.”

She keeps laughing which makes me feel better.

“You’re finally laughing,” I say after her laughter dies down.

“Well yeah. The joke was funny.”

“I’m so happy to hear your laughter.”

Awkward silence.

“Should I tell you another one,” I ask her. “I don’t know as much as Seok Jin does though.”

“It’s okay. You don’t have to tell me more. Instead, tell me about your day.”

I tell her about my day, and I listen to hers. I try to distract her from the bad customers, and that’s how the both of us ended our day.

It’s been a while now since Yoon Ah and I have known each other. We’ve gone out a lot. Many people have seen us together, but we have not responded to any questions about us because we’re not dating. Yet.

Today, Yoon Ah and I are meeting up for dinner. I plan to confess to her.

We meet up at the restaurant. We eat dinner. We talk. When dinner is over, We both walk to Yoon Ah’s car.

“Thanks for dinner,” Yoon Ah says. “I enjoyed it.”

“Me too.”

“Drive safely.” She walks to the driver’s side, but I stop her.

“Wait,” I say. “I have something to tell you.”

“What is it,” she asks. She walks over to me again.

“Umm,” I don’t know where to start. “You see.” Should I say something cheesy?

“What is it,” she asks.

“Yoon Ah,” I pause. “I,” I pause. “I like you.”

Silence.

Was that too plain?

“I’m sorry,” I say. “Did I startle you?”

“No,” she replies after a pause. “You didn’t.”

“Okay. Well.” Silence. “Gosh this is awkward.”

“You probably want my answer don’t you?” she asks.

“No. No. You don’t have to give me an answer. I mean it would be nice if you could give me an answer, but it doesn’t have to be right now. I can wait for your answer.”

Silence.

“Well, It’s getting late, so we should head home,” I tell her.

“Wait,” she says. “I have my answer now.”

“You do?”

“I like you too,” she says. “Taehyung, let’s date.”

My eyes widen. “Really,” I ask surprised.

She nods her head.

I smile. My insides are exploding from excitement, but I can’t let her know that.

“Are you that happy,” she asks me.

“Huh,” I ask.

“Your face says it all.”

I smile like an idiot. “Yes,” I nod my head. “I’m this happy.” I hug her and gently squeeze her. “Thank you,” I say. “For liking me back.”

She hugs me back. I can feel her smiling. 

After a month of dating, we finally announce our relationship to the public. Of course many people were happy for us, but there were also many people who were mad and upset at us, but that doesn’t matter. What matters is that we’re happy.

Ever since we started to date, I drive her everywhere. I drive her to work, I drive her from work. I take her shopping, and she even visits my house. Our relationship is full of rainbows and unicorns right now. 

I have about a month left before I start to work again. In the meantime, Yoon Ah and I are spending every moment that we have together.

When the month is up, I start to work again. Yoon Ah is also busy with work. I feel like we haven’t seen each other in such a long time. I miss her. I wonder if she misses me.

It’s been four months since we’ve last seen each other. Of course, we would call each other to keep in touch. 

Today, I have three hours of free time, so I go to meet her. When she sees me, she is all smiles. She runs over to me and gives me a hug. I hug her back.

“It’s so nice seeing you again,” I tell her.

“Yeah,” she says.

“I’m only free for three hours. Let’s make the best of it.”

“Alright.”

We go eat, then we head back to my house to rest.

“How is work,” I ask her.

We are sitting on the couch snuggling with each other.

“Same as usual,” she replies. “You?”

“Busy as usual. Our new album is coming out soon. After this album is out, we’re planning to do a world tour.”

“How long will the tour be?”

“A few months.”

She turns her head to look at me.

“I’ll wait for you,” she says.

“Thank you.”

We smile at each other.

Yoon Ah positions herself up, and I lean my head down, and we share a kiss.

[7 years later]

I’m wearing a black suit. I’m standing on the stage looking at my beautiful bride who is walking towards me. She is wearing the wedding dress that the both of us picked out two months ago. She is perfect. I love her with all my heart, and I’m so happy that she will now be mine forever and always.

After the wedding and our honeymoon, we go back to our usual lives. I’m working on my new solo album, and Yoon Ah is still working at Slumber Heaven. Our lives are at its best right now. We love what we do, and we love each other.

 

Today, I look in the mirror. I look nothing like my younger self. The corner of my eyes have wrinkles, My forehead has wrinkles. My skin has wrinkles. I’m losing my hair. I’m losing my strength. I feel myself getting weaker each day.

I lie down on my bed, and the love of my life walks in.

She looks nothing like she used to when she was younger, but in my eyes, she is always beautiful.

“How are you feeling today,” she asks me. She sits next to me on the bed.

I shake my head. “I know that I don’t have a lot of time left,” I tell her.

“Don’t say that,” she says shaking her head. “I can’t bare it when you say that.”

“It’s because of my old age. Where are the kids?”

“They’re still at school.”

“Yoon Ah,” I say after a pause. “You know, you are the best thing that happened to me. Thank you for always putting up with me and for always being there for me. I love you, and I will continue to love you even in our next life. Let’s meet each other again.”

A tear escapes Yoon Ah’s eyes, so I wipe it off for her.

She holds my hand tightly.

“Hey,” she says after calming herself down. “Remember when you said you will tell me about Kyun Soo Jin.”

“Right. I never told you.”

‘Will you tell me now?”

I think about the beginning and start telling her the story.

To the very end, Yoon Ah is holding my hand. I stare at her beautiful face, and she is crying. I close my eyes and everything is black.

When I open my eyes again, all I see is the orange light coming from the small lantern sitting at the corner of the small cold room. I look around, and I’m back in the room that I never left. I still don’t know how long it’s been since I’ve been here. It sure does feel long though.

The window on the door opens. I turn my head to see Kyun Soo Jin smiling at me.

“Taehyung!”

Yoon Ah.