Two

Story of My Life

 

My members and I are in the dorm resting for the rest of the day. We are lazing around the house. We don't have a tv. We don't have our phones. We have no technology, so we are talking to each other.

“I'm hungry,” Jimin says.

“I think there's some ramen in the kitchen,” Jung Kook says.

“I'll go make some,” I say. I stand up and walk to the kitchen. I open up the cabinets and grab two ramen packages. I place them on the countertop. Then, close the cabinet. I go grab a pot and walk to the sink. I sit the pot in the sink. Then, I turn on the water and wait for the water to fill the pot. As I wait, I feel a pair of small arms encircle my waist. A warm presence hug me. My first thought is, one of the member is playing with me.

“Don’t play around,” I say. I take the arms off of me and turn around. My heart drops when I see Kyun Soo Jin in front of me.

“Tae Hyung,” she smiles sweetly. “I’m sorry it took me so long to return.” She grabs my hand and starts pulling me away. “Come on.”

I try to resist.

“Our house is waiting for us,” she says sweetly. “We’ll be a happy couple again. No one can come between us this time. I promise.”

“No,” I shout. “I don’t want to go! NO!!!” 

I close my eyes hoping that this nightmare will go away. When I open my eyes, I was lying in bed. I look around and notice that I fell asleep in the dorm. I sit up and sigh. Then, I hear footsteps running towards the bedroom that I am in.

“What’s wrong?” The door opens and Seok Jin is standing behind the door. “Did something happen? I heard you scream.”

“It was only a dream,” I say. “Thank goodness.”

“Did you dream about her?”

“I did.”

“Don’t worry about it too much. Are you hungry? We made ramen.”

“I’m fine. Our manager said I should lose some weight. Having a snack right now won’t be good. I’ll eat something else later.”

“Okay. Tell us if you need anything.”

“I will.”

Seok Jin closes the door leaving me behind.

The members tell our manager about my panic attacks when I sleep, so I’ve been instructed to go to therapy. 

After years of going to therapy, I’m finally starting to get over my panic attacks. I’m able to go on stage to sing and dance. I’m able to do what I love most. I’m making money. I’m sending money to my parents. I’m able to have conversations with my fans whom I love. They even stand in front of our company to greet us. Some even stand outside out dorm.

It feels like I just debuted yesterday, but it’s been years already. So many rookies are looking up to me saying that I’m their idol. I have so many fans giving me gifts that our tiny dorm is packed.

Since my members and I are growing, my company has moved us into a bigger dorm.

My life right now is great. My members and I are slowly raising to fame. Great things will only greet us now.

[4 years later]

Time has gone by so quickly. My members and I have hit songs after another. It’s great. We’re making more money then we ever did. So many people are calling us legends. I love to hear that. I love it when the fans scream our names and chant our fanchants. 

We are now living individually in our own houses. Our company has given us more freedom than we ever got when we first debuted. 

Today, my members and I are roaming the city. As we do so, many of our fans are gathering around with us taking out pictures and taking videos of us. Some might say that what they’re doing is annoying, but we’re so used to it that it doesn’t bother us anymore. We are walking in a crowded area. The fans are still following us.

“Let’s go get some burgers,” Seok Jin suggests. “I’m hungry.”

We agree and walk to a burger restaurant. We stand in line waiting for our turn, and as we are waiting, we decide what we want to eat. When it is our turn, Nam Joon tells the man our order. He pays, and we go sit down to wait for them to give us our orders. As we sit, we talk to pass time. Then, the man calls us to get our orders. Seok Jin goes up to the counter to grab our orders. He thanks the man and walks back to us. We each grab our burger and walk out. 

The fans scream upon seeing us. They crowd us again and start taking our pictures and taking videos of us. 

My members eat their burgers as we walk. 

I unwrap my burger and get ready to take a bite, but someone bumps into me from the back making me stumble forward into another person. 

The person gasps, and I gasp.

I catch my balance, and so does the person. I look at the person and notice that the person is a woman. The reason why I can tell is because of her outfit. She is wearing a long skirt and a shirt that is tucked into the skirt. Her short hair is dangling above her shoulders.

“I’m sorry,” I say. “Are you okay?”

She turns around and glares at me. “My sandwich,” she groans.

“I’m sorry,” I say again. “I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s fine,” she sighs. “I’ll just go buy another one.”

“No. I feel bad.” I wrap my sandwich again. “Take mine. I haven’t eaten it yet. I just unwrapped it.”

“It’s fine. I’ll go buy another one.”

“Really. Take mine. I can buy another one.”

“Thank you,” she says. She accepts my sandwich.

The fans scream.

“He is so nice,” the fans shout.

“We love you, V!!!”

“So lucky!!”

“Once again,” I say. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. Thank you for the burger,” she replies. She walks away.

“Doesn’t she want a picture,” Jimin asks.

“I don’t know,” I say. “It seems like she didn’t know us.”

“How is that possible? Everyone knows us.”

“It’s fine. I’ll go buy another burger.”

I walk away from the group.

My fans scream and follow me to the burger shop.

The next day, an article of me handing the burger to the lady spreads throughout social media. Everyone is praising me. Everyone is calling the woman lucky. Some are even insulting her for taking my burger. This happens for a few days, and then another news article comes out. The article is about the woman. Apparently she is getting threat calls over the burger situation.

“Please stop calling me day and night,” she writes on her social media. “I’m sorry that I took your favorite celebrities burger, but he offered it to me since he accidentally dropped mine. It’s not like I committed a sin. Now, please stop.”

“It seems like she is having a hard time because of us,” Jung Kook says.

“Yeah,” Jimin adds. “It’s not like she did anything wrong.”

“We know some of our fans are like this,” Nam Joon says. “All we can do is wait for this to die down.”

And it did after a week or so.

Today is our day off. I’m sleeping in. Literally. I woke up at one in the afternoon today. I go drink some water in the fridge and burp really loud. Then, I go wash up and put on a pair of skinny jeans and a shirt before I head out to buy myself a late lunch. I buy a cup ramen, some cheese, and triangle kimbap. I go sit by the window and start eating. As I eat, a figure stands in front of me. I figured that the person is eating just like me, so I didn’t pay any attention to the figure. I take a bite out of my kimbap and look up. My eyes widen, and I stop chewing. The figure in front of me is the lady from the other day. The lady who I gave my burger to. She hasn’t noticed me. I quickly chew swallow and take a sip of my water.

“Excuse me,” I say.

She turns her head. When she sees me, her eyes widen.

“You remember me don’t you,” I ask.

She grabs her food and walks away. 

I grab my wallet and walk after her.

“Hey,” I say.

We walk out of the store. I grab her shoulder and turn her around.

“Hi,” I say. I put my hands to my side. “You remember me.”

“No. I don’t know who you are.”

“Then why did you walk away.”

“I don’t want your fans threatening me anymore that’s why.”

“You do remember me then,” I smile.

“From the other day, but I really don’t know who you are.”

“Really? You don’t know who I am? Even when I’m this famous?”

“You’re famous?”

“Where have you been? Everyone knows who my members and I are. We’re celebrities.”

“I don’t follow celebrities. I don’t like celebrities.”

“Why is that?”

“None of your business.”

She walks away, so I follow her. 

“Since you don’t know me,” I say. “I’ll introduce myself. Hello. I’m Kim Taehyung, but everyone calls me V. You can call me whatever you want.”

“Weirdo,” she says. She continues to eat.

“What’s your name,” I ask her.

She doesn’t answer.

“Okay. I’ll give you a name then. Flow because your dress flowing that other day really captivated me.”

She glares at me and starts to walk faster. I stop in my tracks.

“I’ll leave you alone,” I say. “Let’s meet each other again.”

“No,” she says stern.

But I guess fate is on my side because the next week, my members and I are in the company that she is working in. She’s one of the staffs at the front desk. 

Our manager talks to the two ladies behind the front desk, and then comes over to us. He takes us to our waiting room.

My members and I are the new mascots for Slumber Heaven a hotel. Today, we will be  doing short interviews and taking a mini photo shoot.

After waiting in our waiting room for a few minutes, our manager tells us to go to the room where the interview is being held. We go in there and sit in the make up room. Then, one by one, we go out to do the interview. After our individual interviews, we finally do the photo shoot. We are twenty minutes into the shoot.

“Let’s take a ten minute break,” the photographer says. 

We do so.

“I’m going to the bathroom,” I tell my manager.

“Alright. Don’t take too long,” my manager tells me.

I walk out of the room and head to the bathroom. After I am done, I decide to head back to the front desk. Flow is still there. I stand in front of her.

“How may I help you,” the other lady there asks me.

I shake my head. “I told you we would meet again,” I tell Flow.

She finally looks up at me.

“Soo Yoon Ah,” I say. “So that’s your name.”

“May I help you,” she asks me.

“No. I just came by to say hi.”

“Well you said it. Are you going to keep lingering here?”

I look at my watch. “I have five more minutes to spare.”

“What are you doing here anyway?”

“Haven’t you heard? BTS is the new mascot for Slumber Heaven. That’s right. You don’t follow celebrities especially BTS.”

“You don’t,” the lady besides her asks. “Why not?”

“I find it time wasting to follow cocky celebrities.”

“Cocky,” I ask. “You think celebrities are cocky? I know many celebrities that are humble and kind. We’re not all cocky.”

“You don’t know cocky when you see one because you are one,” she says annoyed. “I’ll be back,” she tells her co-worker. “I have to turn this in.”

“Alright,” her co-worker says.

Yoon Ah leaves her post and heads to the elevator.

I follow her. We step into the elevator together.

“Are you following me,” she asks.

“No. I’m going to the same floor as you. I only have three minutes left,” I reply.

The elevator dings, and the door opens. She steps out. Then, I do. She walks in front of me, but stops and turns around. I stop and wait for her to say something.

“Are you headed this way too,” she asks me. “Or are you following me?”

“The room I have to be in is at the end of the hallway,” I say. “Don’t worry. I won’t jump you. I can’t. If I do, that wouldn’t be very nice would it?” I start walking again. “Don’t worry.” I walk past her. I can feel her glaring at me, but I ignore it.

“Kyun Soo Jin,” a female voice calls out from behind me.

I freeze.

“Kyun Soo Jin!”

I want to move, but my legs won’t listen. I’m scared. What if it’s her? What if she got out of jail? Is she here for me again? So many questions are running through my mind. A female figure walks past me making me jump and gasp. I fall down.

“What are you doing,” Yoon Ah asks me. She’s looking at me like I’m the weirdest person alive. “Why did you fall down?”

I want to explain to her, but no words will come out of my mouth.

“Are you okay,” she asks worriedly. Yoon Ah slowly approaches me and squats down to my level. “Is something wrong? Should I call your members?”

I shake my head. “No. Can you take me to the room at the end of the hallway over there,” I ask.

“Sure.”

I gather my strengths to stand up.

“Can you stand,” she asks. “Do you need help?”

“I. I’m fine,” I say, but I’m looking around. I turn behind me and see two ladies talking to each other. I sigh knowing that the Soo Jin I know is not here. “Let’s go,” I say.

Yoon Ah takes me to the room. The photo session has already begun.

“Where have you been,” my manager yells at me when he sees me and Yoon Ah walking in. 

“I’m sorry,” I say. “Something came up.”

“Is something wrong with him,” Yoon Ah asks my manager. “He just fell down outside.”

“What,” my manager asks shocked. “What happened?”

“I don’t know. Hee Na was calling for Soo Jin, and he suddenly collapsed.”

My manager’s eyes widen. “Okay. Thank you for bringing him back.”

“You’re welcome.”

I turn to Yoon Ah. “Thank you,” I say. 

“You’re welcome,” Yoon Ah says. She leaves.

My manager takes me and sits me down on a chair. “Are you okay,” he asks me.

“Yeah. I need some water though.”

“Sure.” My manager hands me a bottle, and I take a huge gulp.

“Thanks.”

“It wasn’t her?”

“No. Just a person with the same name.”

“Good. Can you continue?”

“Yeah. I’ll be fine.”

After the photo shoot, my members surround me in the car and ask me if I am okay. I assure them that I am.

I am so glad that I have them as my members. They are more than co-workers to me. They are like a family. They are my family. I would never exchange them for anything. 

A few weeks go by. My members and I are on a three month break. During this time, we can go out and do anything we want, but of course, we must be careful not to cause any troubles.

Today, I’m in my house sleeping in. After I wake up, which is at two in the afternoon, I wash myself up a little bit and head out to buy some food and candy. I come home afterwards and close my curtains. I wear a black t-shirt and some pajama pants and put on a movie to watch. As the movie is getting started, I prep the foods and candies. The movie starts, and I come rushing in with my plates and bowls. I sit on the couch and start eating and watching the movie.

Thirty minutes has gone by. I’m lying on the couch and eating chips. From time to time, I would sit up to drink some soda. Then, I’d lie down and eat some food. The cycle continues until the movie is over. I turn off the movie, but continue to lie on the couch. This time, I grab my phone and scroll through social media. I watch some videos and continue to eat. When I can’t eat anymore, I sit up and play games on my phone. I do that until it gets dark. Then, I go to sleep.

The next day, I wake up early to clean the mess that I made yesterday. Then, I go to the gym, and work out all the carbs I ate yesterday. After hours of working at the gym, I go take a shower and get ready to head out. I run some errands, and before I knew it, it was dark. I go to a food stall for dinner.

“Ma’am,” I say. “Please give me a serving of the fried chicken, a serving of kimbap, and a serving of spicy rice cakes.”

“Coming right up,” the older lady says.

I stand and wait for her to serve me. When she does, I pay her and she accepts the money..

“Thank you very much,” I say.

“Thank you,” she says.

I eat the food and hum. “It’s delicious!”

The lady laughs. “Yeah?” She gives me some fish cake. “Since you’re enjoying it so much, I’ll give you this for free.”

“Ma’am,” I say. “You don’t have to.”

“Please, take it.”

“You’re spoiling me. Thank you!” I smile while eating. After I am done, I thank the lady again and go on my merry way.

That night, as I’m lying in bed, I’m thinking about Yoon Ah. I want to meet her. I want to see her. How can I see her? Do I go back to Slumber Heaven? But that would make me look desperate. I’ve got to know her schedule, so I can make it look like I met her coincidently. How do I do that?

The next day, I’m wearing black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt, and a brown leather jacket. I’m also wearing a black hat and a black mask that covers my mouth and black sunglasses. I’m standing outside of Slumber Heaven and peeking through the window. Yoon Ah is standing at the front desk again. I smile upon seeing her. I also leave and come back a few times before I spy on her again because I don’t want to cause any suspicion. I did that for the whole day. Here’s what I found out: her lunch is at 11 and lasts for an hour, Yoon Ah gets off at seven at night, and she drives her own car home. I continue to follow her for the past few days without letting her know. She works on weekdays and has weekends off. On Saturday, Yoon Ah visits her parents and help around the house. She stays there all day, and head home when the sun sets. On sunday, she doesn’t leave her house. I can only imagine that she’s watching a movie and eating junk food like me.

Monday comes. I drive to Slumber Heaven and park a few blocks away from it. I wait until eleven. When eleven comes, Yoon Ah comes out of Slumber Heaven and start walking towards the food stall she usually goes to. I jump out of the car and quickly, but slowly follow her to the food stall.

Today, I’m wearing a dark blue polo shirt and black skinny jeans.

Yoon Ah is already eating.

I pretend I don’t see her and go stand next to her, but I’m facing the lady who owns the stall.

“Ma’am,” I say. “One serving of fish cake please.”

The lady gives me the plate of fish cake and I pay her.

“Thank you,” I say.

I grab a fish cake and eat it. I’m also observing Yoon Ah from the corners of my eyes. I can tell that she’s noticed me and is hurrying to finish her food.

“This is so good,” I say.

“Is it,” the lady asks.

“Yes, ma’am. Don’t you think so,” I asks Yoon Ah pretending that I don’t know her.

Yoon Ah awkwardly smiles.

“Soo Yoon Ah,” I act surprise. “You were here too?”

“Yeah,” she awkwardly smiles.

“Gosh. It seems like we always meet. What a coincidence right?” I laugh. “Are you on lunch break?”

“How did you know,” she asks.

Oops. “Remember that one day when I was at your workplace? It was a monday too. I figured you worked on mondays. Since you’re not at work right now, I thought it might be your lunch break.”

Yoon Ah doesn’t say anything else.

“Is that all you’re eating,” I ask her.

She only has a plate of fried chicken in front of her.

“Here,” I say giving her my plate of fish cake. “Have that too.”

“No, thank you,” she says.

“Come on. You’re going to be hungry when you go back to work.”

“I’m fine.” She slides the plate back to me.

“Don’t be stubborn.” I slide the plate back. “Enjoy.”

“Do you two know each other,” the lady asks.

“We’re just acquaintances,” I reply.

“Aren’t you V from BTS?”

“I am!”

“Oh my! My granddaughter loves you!”

 “Really, ma’am! I’m glad!” I pull out my wallet and pay the lady. “Here’s a little extra to show my gratitude,” I smile.

“Oh my,” the lady chuckles. “Thank you!”

“I also paid for this ladies bill, so you don’t have to give her the bill.”

“You’re so kind! I wish everyone in the world would be like you.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”

Yoon Ah glares at me. 

“Enjoy,” I tell Yoon Ah. I walk away. I’m pretty far away from the stall, but I hear footsteps running towards me.

“Mr. V,” I hear Yoon Ah calling for me.

I stop and turn around to see Yoon Ah running towards me. She stops when she is five feet away from me.

“Do you need something,” I ask her. 

She reaches into her purse and pulls out her wallet. She opens her wallet and takes out some cash. “Here,” she says extending her arm over to me. “I don’t want to be in debt to anyone.”

“You won’t be in debt to me. Keep the money.”

“If you don’t accept the money, I’ll feel indebted to you.”

“Okay,” I smile. “Pay me in another way than.”

“How,” she asks retreating her arm. 

“Buy me dinner.”

“What? You want me to buy you dinner to pay you back a mere few bucks?”

“What’s wrong with that? Just buy me triangle kimbap then.”

“Fine. What time will you be free?”

“I’m free for three months.”

She looks at me weird.

“Call me anytime, and I’ll run right over to you,” I say. I reach into my pocket and pull out my phone. “Put in your number. Give me your phone, and I’ll put in my number.”

“No need to. Meet me at the market by the intersection by seven tonight.”

“Okay.” I put my phone back into my pocket. “Are you sure you won’t need my number? What if you stay at work late. You can call me and tell me not to wait for you.”

She thinks about it. “Give me your phone,” she says.

I give her my phone, and she gives me hers. We exchange numbers.

“I’ll see you tonight,” I say.

She walks back to her job. 

I smile and wait for her to disappear. Once she does, I punch the air in happiness. I jump and clack my heels together before I run to my car. I quickly head home and prepare for the dinner date. 

“Is this too much,” I ask as I look in the mirror. I look at my dress pants, my white buttoned up pants, and my black blazer. “I have to look like I didn’t put too much effort into this.” So I change my clothes again to something more comfortable. Jeans and a t-shirt. “But I have to look like I put effort into it,” I say as I look in the mirror again. I add my black blazer. “Too inbetween.” I look at my hair, and it’s too neat. I muzzled it up a little bit and smile into the mirror. “There.” I throw off my blazer and smile even wider. “Perfect!”

When 7 quickly approaches, I hop into my car and drive to the market where Yoon Ah and I promised to meet. The time is exactly seven when I park my car. I turn off the engine and climb out of the car. I walk into the market and walk around. I don’t see Yoon Ah there, so I think that she is still at work. I walk up and down the aisles and look at some items. The bell on the door rings. I look up and see Yoon Ah walk inside. I smile and pretend that I don’t see her. 

Yoon Ah is looking around for me. 

I avoid her just to play with her. 

She looks annoyed when she can’t find me. Yoon Ah takes out her phone and calls me. My phone rings, and I pick it up.

“Hello,” I say into the phone.

“This is Soo Yoon Ah,” Yoon Ah says. “Where are you?”

“I’m stuck in traffic,” I answer.

“Are you really?”

“Yes. So many cars are in front of me right now.”

“How long will it be do you think?”

“Maybe fifteen minutes.”

“Fifteen minutes?”

“Don't worry. I'll do some magic and be there quickly.”

“Don't joke around.”

“I'm not. I'll be there in the count of three. One.” I come out of the aisle. “Two.” I walk over to her. “Three!” I appear in front of her. “See what did I tell you?”

She hangs up, so I hang up. She glares at me. “You were already here weren't you?”

“I told you I was stuck in traffic. I did magic and appeared here.”

“Whatever. Let's go get some kimbap and call it even.”

We walk to the aisle with the kimbaps. 

“Pick anyone you want,” Yoon Ah says. 

I take two, and she pays for them. Then, we go stand by the window, and I start opening one.

“Do you want one,” I ask her.

“No thank you,” she says.

I take a bite.

“Now that I’ve paid you back, I’ll leave now,” she says.

“You’re just going to leave like that,” I ask.

“Did you want something else?”

“No.”

She leaves. 

I watch her as she walks to her car and drive away. I wanted to be with her a little longer, but I guess I can’t. I can’t ask her to stay either. She’ll think that I’m weird.