Three

Story of My Life

 

The next day, I am lying around the house not knowing what to do. I can’t go see Yoon Ah again. What if she says I’m a stalker? What if she calls the police on me?

My phone rings, so I answer it.

“Hey,” Seok Jin says into the line. “Let’s go out today.”

“To where,” I ask.

“Everywhere. The members want to go shopping. Then, they want to go drinking later.”

“Okay. I’m in.”

“Sweet. We’ll be there to pick you up in an hour.”

We hang up, and I get ready. 

The members and I shop like we said we would. When we are hungry, we’d go and eat some fast food. When night comes, the members and I head to a restaurant where we made a reservation earlier. We sit at our table and order food and drinks. The members and I talk and laugh. I am having the best time of my life right now. I eat until my belly is full, and I drink until I’m the happiest man alive. 

I wake up the next morning in my bed. Jung Kook is sleeping next to me. I yawn and stretch before I sit up. I see Seok Jin sleeping on the ground by the foot of the bed. I climb out of bed and head to the living room. There, I see Jimin sleeping on the couch. Nam Joon and Suga are sleeping on the ground. Everyone is sprawled all over. I place my hand on my aching head. I walk to the kitchen and pour myself some water. I drink the whole glass, but my head is still hurting. I quickly put on some clothes and head to the store. I buy myself some hangover medicine and drink the bottle. I also buy some for my members.

Everyone is awake and in the living room. They drank the medicine I had given them already.

“I’m sorry,” I say. “I don’t have any food.”

“You went shopping, and you didn’t buy anything to eat,” Suga asks.

“All I could think about was my aching head,” I reply.

“Let’s go out to eat,” Nam Joon says. “I’ll pay.”

And so we do. We all order soup and eat in silence. After we eat, the members and I go back to my house. We do nothing there until dark. The members leave, and I go to sleep.

The next day, I receive a phone call from my manager.

“Slumber Heaven wants to do some individual photo shoot,” my manager says. “Is it okay for you to go even on your break? It’ll only be for today.”

“Of course, I can go. When is the shoot,” I ask.

“Noon tomorrow at the hotel.”

“Alright.”

“I’ll be there to pick you up at nine.”

“Alright. See you then.”

When tomorrow comes, I wake up earlier than usual to get myself ready. When nine comes, my manager is parked outside my house waiting for me. Then, at eleven, we arrive at the hotel. Of course, I see Yoon Ah at the front desk again, but I had no time to go talk to her. Even after the shoot, I don’t talk to her. There are many customers, and Yoon Ah is tending to them, so I let her work. 

The next day, I come in myself. I stand in front of the front desk, and Yoon Ah is standing behind it. I’m smiling at her, but she is glaring at me.

“What are you doing here,” she asks me.

“I came to see you,” I reply.

“Don’t you have anything to do?”

“I told you. I have a three month vacation. I did come here to work yesterday, but I’m free now.”

“What do you want?”

“I was wondering if you were free this Saturday.”

“I work Saturday.”

“What are you talking about,” Yoon Ah’s co-worker asks confused. “You never work on weekends.”

Yoon Ah nudges her co-worker.

“Are you free then,” I ask her.

“What are you planning for that day,” she asks me.

“I want to take you out to dinner.”

“Why dinner?”

“To say thank you.”

“For what?”

“For the last time you helped me to my manager. Remember when I fell down, and you helped me? If you’re free at seven, I would like to take you to dinner.”

“Fine,” Yoon Ah says without any emotion.

“Great,” I exclaim. “I’ll pick you up at 6:30.”

“No. Just tell me where the place is. I’ll go there myself. You don’t know where I live.”

Oops. I can’t let her know that I’ve been following her around. “Right,” I say to her. “I don’t know where you live. Okay. Before I choose a place, what is your favorite food, so I can choose a restaurant where it’ll be to your liking.”

“Anything is fine.”

“Anything? Then is pasta okay?”

“Sure.”

“Great! I’ll text you the place. Be sure to be there.” I give her one last smile, and then I walk out of the hotel.

“So annoying,” Yoon Ah says.

“It looks like he likes you,” her co-worker says.

“Even if he likes me, I can’t like him back.”

“Why? Because he’s a celebrity, and you don’t like celebrities?”

“Yes. Plus, his fans are going to attack me when they see us together. I’ve already walked down that road, and it’s not nice.”

“It is sad that idols can’t date whoever they want because of their fans, but what if he’s serious?”

“I still can’t. I’ll let him know at dinner this weekend.”

For the rest of the week, I spend time with my family. I also find a nice restaurant that serves pasta, and sends the address to Yoon Ah. 

When Saturday comes, I am preparing all day for the dinner. I style my hair, I put on some face moisturizer, and the part that took me the longest is picking out my clothes. I want to look like I’m mature, but I also don’t want to look like I put in too much time on the outfit. After picking my outfit, I put on a watch and sprayed some cologne on me. When I am done, the time is 6:10 pm, so I go to the restaurant to claim the table. The waiter gives me water as I wait for Yoon Ah to show up. I drink a few sips and look at my phone. I wait and I wait for her. When I see her walk through the door, I put my phone down and wave her over. 

She walks over.

I stand up and walk over to her chair to pull it out for her, but she grabs the chair.

“What are you doing?” she asks me defensively. 

“I’m pulling out your chair for you,” I say.

“You don’t have to. Thank you.”

“Okay.” I walk back to my seat while Yoon Ah sits in her seat. 

The waiter comes and gives the menu to us.

“What would you like to drink,” the waiter asks the both of us.

“I’ll have a soda,” I say.

“Do you have tea,” Yoon Ah says.

“We do,” the waiter says. “Which tea would you prefer?”

“What do you have?”

“Iced tea. Green tea.”

“I’ll have the iced tea please.”

“Alright. One iced tea and one soda. I’ll be right back.”

“Thank you,” the both of us say.

“So,” I say as I open the menu. “What do you want?”

Yoon Ah opens the menu and looks at the dishes. Her eyes widen at the cost of the meals. She looks for the cheapest item on the menu, and it’s a plain salad. Literally the ingredients are lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, shredded cheese, chicken, and some dressing.

“I’ll have number ten. The salad,” Yoon Ah replies.

“That’s all,” I ask. “Don’t you want some pasta? I thought you like pasta.”

“I do, but I’m not hungry.”

“Don’t tell me you’re on a diet. You don’t have to be on a diet. You look fine the way you are.”

She looks at me weird. “I’m not on a diet, but thank you.”

We order when the waiter comes, and I make sure to order a lot of pasta, so Yoon Ah can eat some too.

As we eat, Yoon Ah is only eating her salad while I’m taking a bite out of each pasta.

“Go ahead and eat the pasta,” I say to Yoon Ah. “I ordered a lot so you can have some as well.”

“It’s okay. I’ll just eat my salad,” Yoon Ah replies.

“Are you sure? All this food is going to waste then.”

“Why did you order so much then?”

“So you can eat too. A salad is not going to fill you up.”

“I said a salad is fine. You didn’t have to order all these pasta.”

“I was only trying to be nice.”

“Well don’t. You being nice is like you’re making fun of me.”

“Making fun of you? I’m not trying to make fun of you.”

“I’m sure you didn’t, but your actions say otherwise.”

“I’m sorry if I offended you in anyway, but I really don’t mean to give you any harm.”

“Again, I’m sure you didn’t mean to, but you know what your actions are telling me right now? I have no money. You’re pitying me, so you’re buying me food. I’m no charity where you can donate money and give me food. I work too. I have money too. I just don’t have as much as you. I don’t live the same life as you.”

“That’s not what I’m applying at all.”

“You’ve said that already.”

“Because you’ve mistaken my actions.”

“Well you should think before you act. Which takes me to my next point, please stop pestering me. I don’t want to see you ever again unless it’s work related. I don’t want your fans pestering me again. Once was enough.” She puts her fork down. “I’ll pay for my salad. You can pay for the pastas you ordered.” She stands up and goes to the front desk.

I’m left speechless. I watch as Yoon Ah leaves the restaurant. 

The waiter comes to me. “Would you like the tab?”

“Please,” I say. “And a few boxes. I’d like to take these pastas home.”

“Alright. I’ll be right back.”

As I wait for the waiter to come, I ponder at what Yoon Ah told me, and she is right. I was being too thoughtless. I thought I was already being thoughtful about her, but there is so much more that I should’ve thought about. I never knew that I was offending her. I feel apologetic to her, but I can’t buy her a gift and say sorry. That’ll offend her more. What can I do?

I ponder about this for a few days, and in those few days, I haven’t met her. I want to meet her. I miss her, but I can’t go see her at work. She said she doesn’t want to see me. She is right when she says she doesn’t want my fans pestering her. I’m sure she had it rough the first time it happened.

The next day, I go to the convenience store to buy some junk food. When I walk to the cash register to pay, a woman is there already.

“That will be 6.50,” the woman from behind the counter says.

The woman in front of me reaches into her purse and pulls out her wallet she looks inside her wallet. I see her shoulder drop.

“I’m sorry,” she says. “I only have 3.25 with me. Please take this and this and this out.”

“Yes, ma’am,” the lady behind the counter says.

“Keep them,” I say. I step beside the woman and put my things on the counter. “Put ours together. I’ll pay.”

“Alright,” the lady behind the counter says.

“You don’t have to,” the woman beside me says.

“I want to.”

“Thank you.”

I turn my head, and so does she. I see her eyes widen, and I can feel mine light up.

“Fancy seeing you here,” I say.

She doesn’t say anything.

“Buying things?” I try to start a conversation.

She still doesn’t answer.

“I know you don’t like me, but let’s not pretend to be strangers,” I say.

“We are strangers,” she finally replies. 

“Okay. I admit that, but we know a little bit about each other right?”

“That will be 22.50,” the lady behind the counter says.

“Excuse me,” Yoon Ah says. “Please take my items out. I don’t want them anymore.”

“Excuse me,” the lady asks.

“Why are you making the lady work two times harder,” I ask Yoon Ah. “Just keep the items.”

“I don’t,” Yoon Ah starts.

“Want to be in debt,” I finish her sentence. “I know. I won’t charge you anything. Please keep it,” I tell the lady as I hand her some money.

The lady accepts the money.

“You may not charge me, but I still owe you 6.50,” Yoon Ah says.

The lady bags our items.

“You don’t have to think that way,” I tell Yoon Ah.

“No. I don’t because that’s the reality.”

“Here are your items,” the lady behind the counter says. “Thank you. Please come again.”

“Thank you,” I tell the lady. I grab my bags and leave Yoon Ah’s bags on the counter. “Those are your things,” I tell her. I walk out of the store and head to the direction of my house. As I’m walking, I hear footsteps running after me.

“Mr. V,” Yoon Ah shouts. 

I stop walking, and she appears beside me.

“Here’s 3.50,” she says, handing her money over to me. “I’ll give you the other 3.50 another day.”

“Are you going to be like this,” I ask her.

“What,” she asks back.

“Why can’t you just accept my help? Why do you always think that I’m helping you as if you’re a charity?” I’m getting annoyed. “If I were not a celebrity, will you treat me differently? Because it sure looks like it back at the store.”

“What are you talking about?”

“When you didn’t see my face, you accepted my help, but when you saw who I was, your attitude totally changed. I’m sorry for before. You’re right. I wasn’t thinking about my actions and how they can hurt you, but have you ever thought about your actions and how they can hurt me? I’m not trying to flash my money and fame. I want to help and get to know you better. That’s all. Keep your money because I won’t take it.” I walk away trying to keep my anger in. I walk all the way home never looking back at her.

For the next few days, I’m spending time with my parents. I’m having so much fun with them, but Yoon Ah is also on my mind. Was I too harsh? Is she mad at me? Is she even thinking about me like how I’m thinking about her?

The sun is sitting up high in the sky. The weather is hot and humid. I’m sitting out on the porch thinking to myself about Yoon Ah when mother comes out with a tray of watermelon slices.

“You look distress,” mother says. “What are you thinking about?” She sits the plate on the table next to me. “Have some.”

“Thank you, mother,” I say. I pick up a slice and eat it. “Mother, how do you befriend someone who doesn’t like you?”

“What?”

“So there’s this girl.”

“Ahh. So it’s a girl.”

“She said she doesn’t like me because I’m a celebrity. I’ve helped her a few times, but each time, she said she didn’t want to be in debt by me.”

“How did you try to help her?”

“Well, I asked her to dinner and offered to pay, but she said she didn’t want to be in debt. Then, I saw her at the market the other day. She didn’t have enough money, so I offered to help her. Once she noticed that it was me, she immediately declined.”

“It sounds like she’s just afraid. I mean, I would understand, you’re a celebrity with many fans.”

“But she doesn’t know who I am. She never did until she met me, and immediately when she met me, she didn’t like me. Did I mention the first time I met her, my fans started to bully her online. I know that’s one reason why she doesn’t want to befriend me.”

“She is afraid. She’s afraid that she’s going to be hurt. You must gain her trust, and make her believe that you will protect her.”

“How do I do that?”

“A girl’s heart is hard to get to. You have to be persistent and patient. If you really love her, make sure to be by her side when she really needs you.”

“Mother, I don’t love her. I only want to be her friend.”

“Yeah. That’s how it begins. If you want to capture her, just do as I say. Be yourself. Don’t try being someone you’re not. This is all about your abilities. If you really love her, and she loves you, you’ll be together no matter what.”

I finish the melon slice and grab another one.

“Alright,” I say.

I take a bite out of the melon slice. My phone rings, so I pick it up to see who is calling. To my surprise, it’s Yoon Ah. I answer it. “Hello,” I say into the phone.

“It’s me,” Yoon Ah says.

“I know. Do you need something?”

“Are you free today?”

“I am, but I’m not in town.”

“Oh. Where are you then?”

“My parents house. It’ll probably take me thirty minutes to come back.”

“When will you come back then?”

“Tomorrow. I’ll come back tomorrow.”

“What time can I see you tomorrow?”

“Don’t you work tomorrow?”

“No. I have off tomorrow.”

“I thought you worked on weekdays.”

“I do, but I took tomorrow off.” Yoon Ah pauses. “Wait. How do you know I work only on weekdays?”

“What?” Gosh! I need to be more careful! “I just guessed. Many people work on weekdays right? I just thought you might be one of them.”

Mother gives me a funny look.

“So,” I say. “I’ll see you at one tomorrow at the food stall near you work.”

“Okay.”

We hang up.

“Was that her,” mother asks.

“Yeah. She wants to meet me tomorrow,” I say. 

“I know you can do well.”

“Thank you, mom.”