Chapter 4

Learning to Love Again

 

Second Year continued

Sunkyu looks up from her coloring every once in a while to focus on the subjects of her portrait. Her two fathers are sitting in a recliner (Kyuhyun in Siwon’s lap) ‘posing’ after she adamantly insisted on drawing them. The colorful scribbles on the page look like nothing Kyuhyun’s ever seen before, but he nods his head in agreement when she points out the squiggles that represent them.
 

“She’s a little artist.” Kyuhyun hums as a response. “Maybe we should get her a little art table for her. Her birthday’s in a couple months.”
 

“With you as her father, I can feel that her birthdays are going to be much too extravagant, hmm?”
 

Siwon shrugs and smiles. “I’ve always wanted to have a child to spoil, and now I have one. Don’t spoil my fun. I won’t mess with your birthday if you let me give her the world on hers. Speaking of which, when is your birthday? It’s been almost two years since I’ve met you, so I’m pretty positive that you’re not still nineteen.”
 

“February Third; I’ll be twenty-one.”
 

“As in 3 days after Sunny’s birthday? Why haven’t you ever mentioned it before? Or is there a reason you don’t like to celebrate birthdays?”
 

Kyuhyun sighs and shifts positions so his face is buried in the crook of Siwon’s neck. “I brought Sunny home for the first time on my birthday. It’s the same day Sungmin left. It doesn’t really feel like a day of celebration anymore.”
 

“Maybe we can do something for your 21st birthday? I wouldn’t want every birthday for the rest of your life to be melancholic.”
 

“Can we just spend it together? I don’t want a cake or presents. Obviously, I’ve never had a boyfriend, but I like the feeling of being the protected instead of the protector. I’m comfortable with you, and I don’t believe you would ever leave if you had a choice.” Kyuhyun rolls his head to the side slightly so he can receive a peck on the lips from the older man. 
 

Sunkyu, seeing this, puffs her cheeks. “Sunny kiss too!” Obligingly, Kyuhyun picks her up to rest in his lap. Both of the men plant a kiss on either side of her face. The toddler happily slides of her father’s lap and returns to drawing more pictures to add to her collection on the refrigerator.

-

A few days later, Kyuhyun gets the call about his mother’s passing. As salt to his wounds, his father doesn’t even take the time to call him personally. Instead, he talks to a housekeeper who indifferently tells him the news. He can’t bring himself to cry when he hangs up the phone, in fact, Siwon has to pry the answer out of him when Kyuhyun seems a little quieter than usual.
 

He asks the obvious question, “Are you attending the funeral?”
 

Kyuhyun shrugs and heads to the kitchen to pour himself a glass of water. “I don’t think it really matter. My parents cut me off when I wanted to be with Sungmin. They don’t know about Sunkyu, so really I have no obligation to ever see them again.”
 

“But don’t you think your father would like to know the fact that he has a granddaughter?” Siwon follows and helps pour water into a glass when his boyfriend’s hands start shaking. “Your mother already passed away not knowing of the life you created. Let your dad know.”
 

The younger man glares hard at the man in front of him. “Who are you to tell me what to do about my family? You have never met them, and you have no idea what they’re like. Not everyone has perfect parents like you.”
 

“Perfect parents?” Siwon scoffs. “What makes you think I have perfect parents?”
 

“Uh, how about the fact that you’re living off their wealth, and they made you the president of their company?”
 

“One, my parents disowned me as their son when I told them I was gay. I was paying more rent to stay there than I am here. Two, they didn’t make me the president of their company. When my father passed away, he gave the company to a family friend. That family friend didn’t want the company because he thought it was my right to have it, so he gave me the position as president until my mother passes away. Only then can he return the company without too much commotion.” Kyuhyun opens his mouth to say something, but the older man holds up a hand to stop him. “Two, yes, I may be rich. Most of it is my college fund I cashed in after my parents told me I wasn’t their son. As I am president, yes I do make a lot of money. But I’m not a rich kid living off the hard work of my parents. Please, don’t make me out to be something I’m not.”
 

The younger, stubborn man stares at Siwon with a neutral expression. Still staring, he downs half the glass of water. Once he’s swallowed, he turns away and puts the water jug back in the refrigerator. “I don’t think you would go to their funerals either, voluntarily. Why should I go? My parents are just like yours.”
 

“No, they’re not. Your parents were trying to do what’s best for you. They didn’t think being with Sungmin was the right direction for your life. You found that out the hard way, didn’t you?”
 

The sound of water hitting skin is almost deafening as the other half of Kyuhyun’s water ends up in Siwon’s face. “Get out of my ing apartment. This thing we had is over.”
 

After Siwon obediently (too obediently) complies with Kyuhyun’s wishes, the latter collapses into a chair and openly cries.

-
 

Three days later, Siwon opens his apartment’s front door to a very visibly upset Kyuhyun.
 

“Kyu…?”
 

“I went to the funeral.”
 

“Oh. Are you alright?” 
 

Kyuhyun shakes his head and lunges forward to cling to the slightly taller man. “I told my dad about everything. At first, he was disappointed about me having a child young, but he told me he wanted to see Sunny. He asked me how I was living on my own, so I told him about you. I told him you were my boyfriend, and he just exploded. He called me every curse he could think of, and he told me that he’s glad my mother died before she could figure out how I’ve been living. He said that what I’m doing is unnatural and he wants nothing to do me. Is he right? Is what I feel for you unnatural?”
 

Without breaking the hug, Siwon is able to move both of them inside his apartment. He pulls back slightly to look his boyfriend in the face. “Love is never unnatural. No matter what anyone says, love doesn’t limit itself between certain genders. Love knows no boundaries.”
 

The younger nods and looks up. “At the very least, I realized something as my father reprimanded me.”
 

“What’s that?”
 

“I’m so in love with you. I know I’ll never love another man as much I love you.” The sincerity in Kyuhyun’s eyes is on the verge of heartbreaking.
 

“I love you too.” Never before has a kiss between them been so gentle, but so full of meaning. They spend the rest of the night cuddling on the couch, lips barely touching as they talk about Sunkyu, work, and daytime dramas.

-

Siwon is almost asleep when he hears his boyfriend ask, “Does love have a number limit?”
 

“Hmm? Why?”
 

"Because after all this time, I think I still love her.”

*~*~*


The cute brunette steps out of her room in her pink pajama shorts and white tank top. Her bangs are tied at the top of her head in a short ponytail. She uses her finger to push her thick-rimmed glasses up the bridge of her nose while looking around for signs of her roommate.
 

“Henry?”
 

The equally cute man pokes his head up from his position laying on the couch. “Yes, Noona?”
 

She smiles and walks over to plop herself down in his lap, his arms automatically looping themselves around her waist. “Y’know, even though you’re my best friend ever, you still call me Noona, and I like that. My ex-boyfriend called me Sungmin from day one.”
 

“What’s Noona’s ex-boyfriend like?”
 

“Mmm,” she leans back into Henry’s chest and lays her arms over his. “Well, we met at the bar I worked at and he was 17 and trying to buy a drink. I refused and after that he spent weeks trying to get me to date him. I agreed just to get him to go away and… well, things happened. At first, he lied about my age to his parents because I was 22 at the time, but they found out anyway… We were stupid and lived together even though his parents disapproved, and they may have been right to because obviously we’re not still together.”
 

“What happened?” Sungmin slides out of Henry’s lap and sits facing him. She lifts her tank top slightly and lowers her pajama bottom enough for him to see a surgical scar with a date and the name ‘Cho Sun Kyu’ tattooed above it. “Who is Sun Kyu?”
 

“My daughter.”
 

The pair is completely silent as Sungmin lets the news hit Henry. The confusion on his face is familiar from the days when his Korean was subpar, but she knows he understands. “Where is she?”
 

“With her father… I-I left them just after she was born.” Henry is dead silent as he stares at a spot on the couch. “I wasn’t ready… the whole time I was pregnant, I knew that there was no way I could be the loving parent she needed. I’ve been so afraid that she’s gonna grow up to hate me, but you said you didn’t hate your mom. How can I ever let go? It hurts so much…” She hesitantly reaches out to Henry, afraid that he would reject her, but to her surprise he pulls her into a hug.
 

“How do you know you wouldn’t be a great mom?” he asks softly.
 

“I don’t know… I didn’t really feel an attachment to her at all. I was happy to see the child I created out of love, but nothing inside me wanted to stay. And now, everyday, I think of how things may have turned out differently… maybe I could have been a good mom. I keep telling myself that I’ll go back when I’m ready, but it’s been almost 2 years already.”
 

The teenager runs a hand through Sungmin’s short, dark hair and kisses her cheek. “I don’t think anything’s going to work with you sitting here waiting for a feeling of readiness. I’m sure your ex didn’t feel fully ready either, but he had no choice but to jump into being a parent. Maybe it’s time you should do the same.”
 

The 26-year-old returns the kiss to Henry’s cheek and rests her head on his shoulder. “Will you go with me to see them? Their birthdays are in a few days, and I want to surprise them. I don’t think I can face them alone.” Henry hums in response and rubs Sungmin’s back comfortingly until she falls asleep.

*~*~*

“Where are you taking us? We’ve been at the amusement park all day, can’t we just go home?” Kyuhyun attempts to remove the blindfold that’s coving his eyes, but Siwon holds it in place with the hand that isn’t holding the steering wheel. In the backseat of Siwon’s car, he can hear Sunkyu naming the different objects she sees. It’s not too often she goes on a car rides with both of her fathers. “What do you see, sweetie?”
 

“Twees, puppy, big caw, wady, gwass…”
 

Siwon teasingly pinches Kyuhyun’s cheek. “You should know that her vocabulary isn’t big enough to tell you where we’re going. Just be patient. This is part of her birthday surprise.”
 

“Then why am I blindfolded?” he asks, frustrated.
 

“Just wait. You’ll see.”
 

A few minutes later, they arrive in what sounds like a parking garage due to the change in acoustics. When the car stops, Kyuhyun can hear Siwon opening his door and running around to open the passenger door. The older man ignores his boyfriend’s grumbling and helps him out before letting the birthday girl out of her car seat. The walk to the secret location takes them a little longer than usual as Kyuhyun is blindfolded and Sunkyu attempts to touch everything in sight. During the long elevator ride, Sunkyu makes loud noises, entertained by the echoes it creates.
 

“Shh, Sunny, we’re almost in a place where you can be as loud as you want to, okay?” Siwon kisses her cheek and sets her down as the elevator doors open. The toddler squeals and runs out of the elevator. Kyuhyun can hear the sounds of her trying to open a door which Siwon opens with the unmistakable sound of a key.
 

“Wow!” Before Kyuhyun can ask his daughter what she sees, Siwon removes the blindfold and pushes him through the open door.
 

“Welcome home.”
 

They’re standing in the entrance of a large well-lit penthouse apartment, with most of the giant space covered in hardwood up until a kitchen/dining area where the wood changes to white linoleum. A huge, black sectional couch surrounds a large entertainment system that rests against an olive-colored wall that’s adjacent to the apartment’s glass windows that give Kyuhyun a beautiful view of the sun setting over Seoul. Adjacent to the kitchen are a few doors to rooms he didn’t know could fit into an apartment. He’s already overwhelmed by what he sees, but the metal, spiral staircase in the middle of a room makes him feel more overwhelmed by the possibility of what lies upstairs.
 

“You bought… a penthouse for us?”
 

“Well, technically, it’s for Sunkyu’s birthday. You won’t let me give you anything extravagant on yours, remember?” He winks and smiles at his shocked boyfriend. “So… what do you think?”
 

“I think this is a very elaborate way to ask me to move in with you,” he says breathlessly.
 

“Are you rejecting me? Because I kinda already had everything from our apartments moved here.”
 

Sunkyu presses her face against a window and points out at the sunset. “Look, Appa! Pwetty!”
 

“Well... it’s Sunkyu’s birthday present, so I can’t really say no, right?” Siwon hugs Kyuhyun and kisses him, which Kyuhyun shyly returns.
 

“Why don’t you go take a nap while I take care of dinner. You don’t even have to worry about Sunny because everything is baby proof so she won’t hurt herself.”
 

“I’ve said it before, but I really mean it: you are a miracle worker.” He buries his nose and inhales the scent he’s come to love. “Where do I sleep?”
 

“Third door to the right, the second door is the 2nd door to the master bathroom, and the 1st door is your room to do whatever you want.”
 

Kyuhyun nods dumbly and looks at the set of doors. “Where will you sleep?”
 

Siwon smiles and places a kiss on the top of the shorter man’s head. “I’ll stay upstairs in the guest room until you’re comfortable enough to be in the same bed with me.”
 

“You don’t have to do that,” he mumbles. It’s not like we’ve never cuddled in bed before.”
 

“Yes, but I’ve never slept over in your bed.”
 

“What difference does that make?” He pouts childishly and pokes Siwon’s cheek.
 

Siwon grabs his young boyfriend’s hand and kisses his knuckle. “Trust me. I’ll stay in the guest room for a little while. Now go take a nap.”
 

Kyuhyun uncharacteristically whines and clings to Siwon. “I feel terrible accepting all of this. Let me pay a bill or two. I’m practically working for no reason now, at a job you got me.”
 

The taller man pretends to think for a second. “You can pay for your mobile phone bill. Now we’re even.”
 

“How is that anywhere near even.”
 

“Trust me, you’ve given me a lot more than you think.” 
 

Sunkyu chooses this particular moment to run over and try to squeeze herself between her parents’ legs. “Sunny want hug too! Big giwl gets hugs!” 
 

Kyuhyun squats down and lifts up his daughter. “Come with Appa and take a nap. You’ve had a long day.” The toddler nods and clings to Kyuhyun’s shirt. 
 

The father-daughter pair makes their way to the bedroom to nap, while Siwon moves to the kitchen to cook dinner for his family.