Final Chapter

The Universe and the Panicked Gays: fluffy college gays series

A/N Thank you for all of your kind comments! I was feeling inspired so I just finished drafting the first chapter of a fluffy little 2kim sequel! Keep on a lookout for that. (And while I was asleep I had an idea for an annyeongz drabble too, hahaha). What can I say, I love domestic colllege student fluff about my main ships. 

Hope you enjoy this last chapter of The Universe and the Panicked Gays! It’s so surreal to me that people are actually reading my story! 

 

..........

 

‘Congratulations on your graduation, kids!’ Yena tiptoed to attempt throwing her arms around Yujin and Wonyoung’s shoulders. It was quite the struggle and she gave up when Yujin and Wonyoung got up on their own tippy toes to tease Yena.

 

Yujin and Wonyoung glanced at each other before looking down at their small unnie.

 

‘Who you calling kid?’ Yujin teased, patting Yena on the head.

 

‘Aigoo, so small and cute.’ Wonyoung joined in the teasing, throwing her arm with ease around Yena instead of the other way around.

 

‘You’re all mean.’ Yena pouted. ‘And to think that I came to your graduation ceremony instead of working on my assignment.’

 

Yujin and Wonyoung laughed and tackled Yena in a group hug.

 

Just then, Yuri, Eunbi, Hyewon and Chaeyeon popped up next to the group, joining in with the hug. Hitomi and Nako also made their way to the group, along with Chaewon and Minjoo awkwardly trailing behind them.

 

In these past few months, Wonyoung had joined the dance squad at Enozi university and had instantly grown close to Eunbi and Chaeyeon as soon as she joined, the two older girls finding the need to act like her mothers. Eventually, Wonyoung also grew close to Sakura, Chaewon and Minjoo who hung out with Eunbi and Chaeyeon a lot. Yujin and Yena naturally started hanging out with them too, seeing as they had many mutual friends. Eventually, even THEIR mutual friends started tagging along and now there was a group chat for all 12 of them whenever they felt like hanging out.

 

Yuri and Wonyoung were the only ones who knew about Yena’s crush on Yuri (though the others, of course had their suspicions) and the later always found time in private to tease the older girl.

 

(‘Chaewon is pretty cute, I can see why Yuri liked Chaewon before.’ ‘Careful, Wonyo. Yujin might get jealous. And Minjoo.’)

 

Chaewon and Minjoo, or 2Kim as everyone called them, were still going strong, with Chaewon being exposed many times acting extra soft for Minjoo.

 

The most exciting news however, was the sailing of Annyeongz. With the help of Chaewon and Chaeyeon, they helped Yujin get her head out of her and finally ask Wonyoung out on a date. Wonyoung and Yujin’s dynamic didn’t really change, as it seemed like they were dating before they were actually dating, anyways.

 

‘To the KBBQ!’ Hyewon exclaimed with a large smile and everyone cheered along with her.

 

‘And who’s treating the newly graduates?’ Yujin said.

 

‘Eunbi yah!’ Everyone but Eunbi yelled out the same time.

 

‘Yah! I am older than all of you!’

 

‘Are you gonna be okay?’ Yena asked Yuri as they started to walk to the KBBQ. The two were trailing behind the rest of the group who were animatedly hyping up Yujin and Wonyoung.

 

Nothing much changed these past few months between Yena and Yuri. The only change was that Yena’s feelings for the girl were getting even deeper, which didn’t seem to be possible but apparently it was.

 

Yuri looked at Yena in confusion. ‘Why? Is something wrong?’

 

‘I’m just thinking, if hanging out with Minjoo and Chaewon will make you uncomfortable we can leave early or something.’ Yena eyed the two holding hands while Minjoo and Wonyoung gushed over the jewelry their respective girlfriends bought them.

 

‘Why would they make me uncomfortable?’ Yuri said.

 

‘Because… I don’t know. But if you want to leave early or something just tell me.’

 

‘Okay, Yena unnie.’ Yuri laughed. She grabbed Yena’s arm and wrapped it over her shoulders, cuddling into Yena’s side.

 

‘Hey Yujin ssi! Look, Yena unnie can actually reach my shoulders.’

 

……………

 

KBBQ was going well and everyone had broken off into their own groups of conversation. They were seated in a circle around the grill. Yena, who was unsurprisingly next to Yuri, kept a close eye on the younger girl, as Chaewon and Minjoo were sitting directly across from them.

 

‘Are you guys excited for the dance showcase later?’ Eunbi asked the group, earning a chorus of muffled ‘yes’es from girls with stuffed mouths.

 

‘Eh… I don’t know if I’ll go or not.’ Yujin teased.

 

Eunbi held up her wallet, shaking it in the air. Yujin jumped from her seat and threw her arms around the oldest girl.

 

‘Unnie~ you know I’m joking~’

 

Yena, Hyewon and Wonyoung gagged at Yujin’s aegyo.

 

‘I’ll come to the showcase just for my amazing Eunbi unnie.’

 

Wonyoung coughed from the side, crossing her arms. Yujin, being Yujin, didn’t connect the dots and didn’t get that Wonyoung was annoyed Yujin forgot she was performing, too.

 

Yujin poured some water into her cup and handed it to Wonyoung. ‘Aw babe, is something stuck in your throat?

 

Nako watched the exchange with disbelief. ‘Someone please explain how SHE has a girlfriend and half of this group is still single.’

 

‘Half?’ Minjoo suddenly asked, causing Chaewon to halt feeding Minjoo her lettuce wrap. She’d gotten more comfortable showing her affection to Minjoo in public. Or at least to their friends. ‘There’s only two couples here.’

 

‘Wonyoung and Yujin.’ Nako pointed to them. She turned her attention to Minjoo and Chaewon. ‘You two.’

 

‘And?’

 

She nodded her head towards Yena and Yuri, who were in their own little world, oblivious to the group conversation.

 

Yena and Yuri seemed to be having some kind of poking fight with their chopsticks. Their playful dynamic always had the rest of the group shaking their heads in amusement. The two would always seem to miss out on important conversations because they were too busy doing… well whatever it was that they did.

 

‘... and them.’

 

Yujin and Wonyoung shook their head at the same time.

 

‘They’re not dating.’ The two youngest said in unison, much to the surprise of everyone on the table. (Though everyone should have been used to it by now. Yujin and Wonyoung always seemed to be in sync).

 

‘Eh? Nani?’ Hitomi gasped. She waved in Yena and Yuri’s direction. ‘Hey, you two!’

 

Yena and Yuri froze their game(?) to look at Hitomi. At the same time, they pointed to themselves, mouthing ‘me?’ when they realised everyone on the table was looking at them. Hitomi had assumed Yuri and Yena were dating, seeing the fact that Yuri had been hanging out with Hitomi less because she always seemed to be hanging out with Yena. Hitomi assumed that they were just in their honeymoon phase so she let it slide.

 

‘Yes. You two. What’s up with you guys?’

 

Yena and Yuri exchanged a look.

 

‘What about us?’ Yena asked.

 

‘Like, what’s your deal?’ Eunbi pressed on. ‘Are you guys dating or what?’

 

The two girls in question stiffened in their seats, their eyes widening.

 

‘Uh…’ Yuri began to say but Yena interrupted her quickly.

 

‘We’re just friends.’

 

Then there was silence.

 

The word ‘friends’ seemed to echo around the table.

 

The tension in the air seemed to thicken as everyone let those words sink in.

 

Yena shrugged sheepishly, oblivious to the atmosphere and she continued to focus on grilling her meat. Everyone on the table turned to see Yuri looking… a little pissed and hurt.

 

They quickly realised that these two had some major sorting out to do.

 

Chaeyeon coughed and tried to change the subject. ‘So… Chaewon. I heard you’re transferring to Minjoo’s dorm.’

 

‘Yeah, I am.’

 

Yena glanced over at Yuri, seeing the girl looking visibly upset.

 

(Yena was certain Yuri was upset over Chaewon. Obviously she was the only one who thought that.)

 

She sadly wrapped her lettuce wrap.

 

She’s still not over Chaewon, huh? Which means she probably only wants to be friends with me.

 

(Yujin wasn’t the only cousin.)

 

‘I need to go to the bathroom.’ Yuri suddenly said, standing up. ‘Yena, can you come with me?’

 

Yena looked up at her in surprise, her cheeks puffing because of the large lettuce wrap she stuffed into . Chewing and then swallowing, she pointed to herself.

 

‘Me?’

 

Yuri nodded. ‘Yes, you.’

 

Then she stomped off.

 

Yena followed suit and shot a subtle side eye glare at Chaewon, not noticing everyone watching her.

 

………..

 

(‘Please tell me everyone else is reading the situation the same way I am.’ Chaeyeon sighed and poured some soju into her cup.

 

‘If you’re reading it as Yuri totally likes Yena too and Yena is oblivious because she thinks Yuri still likes Chaewon then yes, we are.’ Hitomi answered for everyone.

 

‘Should we… tell her?’ Yujin furrowed her eyebrows in the direction of the bathroom. ‘What if they lose the chance to get together?’

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes, the situation feeling VERY familiar. ‘Trust me, babe. They won’t.’)

 

……...

 

Meanwhile, Yena walked into the bathroom, watching Yuri lean over the sink with her head in her hands.

 

‘Are you okay?’ Yena made her way over to Yuri immediately. She rubbed Yuri’s back. ‘Stupid duck, why am I asking that question? Of course you’re not okay! That’s why you’re here doing this.’

 

The toilets in one of the cubicles flushed and a middle aged lady walked out, washing her hands in the free sink next to Yena.

 

‘Yuri yah, we can leave, if you’re not feeling good?’ Yena tried to cheer her up. Still no luck.

 

Yena sighed. She had to use drastic measures.

 

‘Joyul~’ Yena squeezed Yuri’s cheeks, ‘my cutie Joyul~ I don’t like seeing you sad. I always want to see your pretty smile.’

 

A chuckle echoed around the bathroom. Unfortunately it wasn’t from Yuri.

 

‘Sorry.’ The lady apologised when Yena turned to look at her. ‘You just remind me of my husband.’

 

‘Ah…’

 

The lady went to walk out the door. ‘You two look really cute together.’ Was the last thing they heard before she left the bathroom.

 

‘We’re not….’ Yena attempted to call out but then she realised the lady couldn’t hear her anymore,‘...dating.’

 

That was the second time today someone had mentioned Yena and Yuri dating. Yena loved imagining the idea of it, but hearing it hurt her heart knowing that they weren’t. And it just reminded her about how Yuri still liked Chaewon, too.

 

Yena laughed awkwardly as she began to turn back to Yuri.

 

‘Haha everyone’s funny today. I don’t know why so many people are asking if we’re-‘ Yena’s sentence was interrupted by two hands gripping at the collar of her hoodie and pulling her closer.

 

The next thing she knew, Yuri’s lips were on hers.

 

What?

 

She’s… kissing me?

 

Lol Yuri is kissing me.

 

Wait… SHE’S KISSING ME!

 

YENA OH MY GOD CLOSE YOUR EYES AND KISS HER BACK YOU STUPID.

 

Yuri had pulled away right after Yena closed her eyes to try and kiss her back.

 

. I didn’t kiss her back.

 

So, Yena placed a gentle hand on Yuri’s waist to pull her closer again. This time, it was Yena that initiated the kiss.

 

It wasn’t anything more than a long peck, but to Yena, it meant the world.

 

Is this real life? What did I do to deserve this?

 

Then she remembered Yuri’s face when Chaewon and Minjoo were being disgustingly adorable.

 

Right. She’s probably upset over Chaewon right now.

 

Well, if Yuri wants me as the rebound… so be it. I’ll kiss her until she smiles. Even if it’s just for a little while.

 

She was about to deepen the kiss when her phone rang. The shrill sound of the ringtone caused both Yena and Yuri to jump away from each other. Yuri looking like a surprised Hamster. Yena avoided any eye contact with the other girl and looked at the caller ID.

 

‘Aunt Somin! Is something wrong?’ Yena said as a lady barged into the bathroom. Yena was thankful that Aunt Somin had called at that time. She couldn’t imagine the humiliation if the lady had caught Yena and Yuri kissing in the bathrooms.

 

‘Yujin isn’t answering her phone? Yes, she’s here with me. Do you want me to tell her? Okay, I’ll go to her now.’

 

When she hung up she turned to Yuri, avoiding any eye contact.

 

‘I uh-‘ Yena said, ‘I’m gonna… yeah.’

 

Then she sprinted out the bathroom, her cheeks burning. When she ran out the door she paused against it, touching her lips with her finger.

 

She could still taste Yuri’s lip gloss. It tasted like sweet honey. Quite funny how a girl with a voice like honey tasted like it too.

 

For the rest of the lunch, Yena and Yuri didn’t talk. Instead, Yena tried her best to be involved with the group conversation. Yuri, however, was silent the whole time clinging onto Yena’s arm and snuggling into her neck. The only sound from her would be her soft giggling everytime Yena would say something funny.

 

Yena glanced at Chaewon pouring Minjoo a glass of water.

 

She quickly wrapped her lettuce wrap to attempt to distract Yuri.

 

‘Joyul~’ Yena said, looking at her for the first time since they were in the bathroom. ‘Open up.’

 

Yuri rolled her eyes but giggled anyways. ‘Ahh.’ She played along.

 

It was embarrassing, doing that in front of the others but seeing the way Yuri was smiling and laughing made it so worth it.

 

If she needs me to be her substitute lover until she figures everything out, so be it.

 

……………..

 

(Yuri didn’t want Yena as a substitute lover.)

 

………………

 

After that day at the KBBQ, Yuri kept coming over to Yena’s dorm for cuddles.

 

‘How come you hug me all the time, but as soon as I hug you I get pushed away.’ Yuri said one day.

 

‘Because I like giving hugs but not receiving them.’ Yena replied, shrugging her shoulders.

 

Yuri scoffed. ‘Now that’s a lie.’

 

From that day on, Yuri started to hug Yena from her back instead.

 

On Minjoo and Chaewon’s 6 month anniversary, they invited everyone out for dinner.

 

Yuri had declined politely, claiming she had a huge workload due the next day, as well as important lectures to attend.

 

Yena was miserable. She’s STILL not over Chaewon. Yena thought.

 

Yena went to the dinner as she couldn’t find an excuse not to go and Chaewon was her (now ex) roommate who surprisingly knew her schedule. Chaewon, to Yena’s surprise, was incredibly observant. Yena’s learnt a lot of things about Chaewon. Ever since she’d seen how Chaewon acted around Minjoo, she’d been less intimidated by her and have actually held decent conversations sometimes.

 

All throughout the dinner Yena couldn’t stop worrying about Yuri.

 

She must really like Chaewon.

 

It’s been months. Three and a half months since Chaewon rejected her. Bearing in mind that Yuri would have started crushing on Chaewon prior to that.

 

I wonder how she’s doing right now.

 

She opened her phone on her lap and texted Yuri under the table.

 

Yena: hey joyul

 

Yuri: my duck

 

Yena tried to hide her smile at the cute nickname. Usually Yuri would just call her duck. Today was the first time Yuri called her ‘My’ duck.

 

Yena: what are you doing right now?

 

Yuri: finishing up with this lecture and then I’m going to practice all night rip

 

Yena: sounds rough

 

Yuri: fine arts… what can you do

 

Yena: have you eaten yet?

 

Yuri: uh…

 

Yuri: yes?

 

Yena: what’s that supposed to mean?

 

Yuri: well… I had a sandwich for lunch

 

Yuri: and before I left for this lecture I had a banana

 

Yena: ah well

 

Yena: As long as you eat after the lecture

 

Yuri: Yeah… hehe

 

Yuri: about that. I’m going straight to the practice rooms after this

 

Yuri: I need to save the good practice room with the good piano

 

Yena: Yuri! You have to eat!

 

Yuri: I’ll be fine

 

Yuri: also I may have used up my weekly allowance already

 

Yena: Jo Yuri…

 

Yuri: oops

 

Yuri: anyways gtg have fun at ur dinner tell Chaewon and Minjoo sorry I couldn’t go again okay bye love you

 

Yena: Jo Yuri!

 

Yena: come back here

 

[read]



That damn girl.

 

She’s so cute, though.

 

Wait… did she just-

 

It probably didn’t mean anything.

 

But she still said love you!!

 

#Yena1stwin

 

……….

 

Yuri smiled down at her phone. Yena was way too cute sometimes. Yena was probably the cutest person in the world.

 

(To Yuri, at least. Yena would have a different answer.)

 

‘Who are you texting?’ Yuri’s friend, Gyuri, smirked next to her.

 

‘No one.’ Yuri said.

 

She didn’t notice Gyuri leaning to peek at Yuri’s phone to see the contact name.

 

‘My duck with a yellow heart and a red heart?’ Gyuri gasped. ‘You never told me you’re dating someone?’

 

‘You never asked.’ Yuri said.

 

‘Girl!’ Gyuri smacked her. ‘What’s her name? Show me a picture!’

 

‘Later.’ Yuri waved her hand at her friend before listening back to the lecture.

 

Half an hour later as they were packing up their stuff, Gyuri brought it up again.

 

‘So, who’s this girl you’re seeing? Or is she your girlfriend?’ Gyuri said.

 

‘Yes and no.’ Yuri scratched her head. ‘We’ve always been like, a thing. She confessed to me a couple months ago and I told her that I’m still not over Chaewon but there’s potential for us.’

 

‘So, what does that mean?’

 

‘I’ve been dropping her so many hints lately that I want us to be official and I think she kinda gets it? I don’t know. I’m sort of waiting for her to ask me to be her girlfriend officially.’

 

‘Hints? What kind of hints?’

 

‘I kissed her.’

 

Gyuri froze in the middle of packing up her things. ‘You, what? Yuri! Never knew you were this confident!’

 

Yuri picked up her phone, the wallpaper of her selfie with Yena showing up. ‘Only with Yena.’

 

‘Either way, I’m impressed.’ Gyuri peered at the wallpaper, observing the way Yena squished her cheek into Yuri’s. ‘What other hints have you dropped?’

 

There was a short silence as Yuri thought for awhile. ‘I get grumpy everytime she calls us friends and I make sure to always cling to her. I also go to her room almost everyday asking for cuddles.’

 

‘Girl…’ Gyuri raised an eyebrow, ‘there’s no way she doesn’t get the hint. Now you just have to wait for her to surprise you with chocolates and a teddy bear to ask you to be your girlfriend.’

 

Gyuri and Yuri continued to walk out the theatre, bowing politely to their teacher as they walked out the door.

 

‘Yuri ah!’ A voice called out.

 

Gyuri squinted her eyes at the owner of the voice. ‘Oh my God, is that her?’

 

‘I- yeah.’ Yuri clutched her books, trying to suppress the blush on her cheeks. ‘She’s meant to be at a dinner right now. What is she doing here?’

 

‘I don’t know. But is she holding a stuffed toy?’

 

Yuri didn’t bother to answer Gyuri’s question as Yena had walked over excitedly to the two. ‘Unnie, what are you doing here?’ Yuri asked.

 

Yena held up a plastic bag. ‘Making sure you eat! You’re stubborn, you know that?’ Noticing Yuri had a friend by her side, Yena bowed. ‘Hi, I’m Choi Yena.’

 

‘Jang Gyuri.’

 

Yena fished something out of her pocket.

 

‘Here, this is your favourite chocolate, right? It was on sale so I got it, too. Also I found this for myself…’ Yena held up the stuffed toy duck out to Yuri. ‘It’s me! It’s cute, right?’

 

‘Unnie… you didn’t have to-‘

 

‘Yes, I did.’

 

‘Yes, she did.’ Gyuri piped up from the side. She took the food from Yena. ‘Yuri, has a busy schedule tonight and you’re really sweet for thinking of her. Right, Yuri?’

 

Yuri nodded but she was in a daze. Yena was being the sweetest person ever and Yuri wanted nothing more than to wrap her arms around her and kiss her until she can’t breathe.

 

‘I also saw this and I knew I had to buy it for you!’ Yena took out a stuffed toy hamster. ‘It’s you! The duck is actually for me and the hamster is for you.’

 

‘What if she likes the duck?’ Gyuri teased.

 

‘Then she can keep both! Anyways, I should probably get back to the dinner. Good luck, Joyul! And nice to meet you, Gyuri.’

 

Gyuri waved to Yena on behalf of Yuri. Yuri was still in a daze.

 

(Yena’s thought the girl was just stressed.)

 

‘Wait, Yena!’ Yuri called out after her. She wrapped her arms around Yena, leaning her head on the back of the older girl’s neck. It was their official hug. Even if Yena’s arms weren’t the ones wrapping around Yuri, Yuri still felt safe and at home whenever she hugged Yena like that. ‘Thank you.’

 

‘It’s nothing. Make sure you stay healthy, okay?’ Yena turned around.

 

Yuri nodded.

 

‘Text me when you’re back at your dorm, I might be still out, who knows?’

 

‘I will.’ Yuri leaned up to kiss Yena’s cheek.

 

(Yuri missed the way Yena’s face turned completely red.)

 

Gyuri watched Yena’s retreating figure.

 

‘Ok. There’s NO way she doesn’t know that you’re into her, too.’

 

……………

 

(‘Oh, Yena unnie. Welcome back.’ Chaewon said. ‘How’s your girlfriend?’

 

‘G-girlfriend?’

 

‘Yeah. Yuri.’ Hitomi said.

 

‘She’s good. But we’re just friends.’)

 

………...

 

It was close to 1am when Yena came home to her (now roommateless) dorm. She’d been eyeing her phone religiously since 11:30pm, yet still no text from Yuri.

 

Yena: Hey

 

Yena: Did you finally go home

 

5 minutes later and there was still no reply from Yuri.

 

Yena: Joyul?

 

Yena: Did you fall asleep?

 

Yena got ready for bed while she was waiting for Yuri’s reply. She took off her makeup and her contact lens and replaced them with her round rimmed glasses. She even went to take a shower.

 

When she came back to her phone, Yuri still hadn’t texted her back. Yena clicked on Hitomi’s contact name.

 

Yena: Hey Hiichan

 

Hitomi: Hiiii

 

Hitomi: Are you going to ask me if Yuri is back in her dorm?

 

Yena: Eye-

 

Hitomi: I was about to text you, actually

 

Yena: Oh

 

Hitomi: I just knocked on her door and her roommate answered

 

Hitomi: Yuri hasn’t come back yet

 

Yena: Do you think she’s okay?

 

Hitomi: Oh yeah she’s done this before

 

Yena: Done what?

 

Hitomi: Before a really big assessment she stays locked up in the practice room for hours and eventually falls asleep

 

Yena: I see

 

Yena: Thanks Tomi

 

Hitomi: You going to her?

 

Yena: Yeah

 

Hitomi: Figured

 

Hitomi: Go get your girl

 

Yena: She’s not my girl

 

Yena: But thanks Tomi

 

………….

 

Meanwhile, Yuri was diligently working on her performances. Her phone was buried deep in the bottom of the backpack and the sound of the notifications were covered by the loud music playing from the speakers.

 

For the thousandth time, she tried to sing the chorus of a particular song that was causing her some difficulty. She was singing perfectly in tune and with perfect technique but something seemed off. Something was missing.

 

Yuri let the instrumental keep playing and held her head in her hands. She slid her back on the wall and crouched in the corner of the practice room.

 

Eventually, the exhaustion caught up to her and her eyes started to droop.

 

Meanwhile, Yena was nervously running through the now dark halls of the music department, trying desperately to find the practice rooms.

 

A shiver ran down her spine and she frantically jumped around, feeling the need to look behind her suddenly. She shone her flashlight on the signs on the wall.

 

Ah, there you go. Practice rooms are on floors 7-10.

 

She waited for the elevator to arrive, nervously flicking her flashlight around the area and her back against the elevator. She jumped when she heard a dinging sound.

 

Is this how I’m going to die? Am I going to be a ghost that haunts the music department? Universe is that you playing tricks on me, again? Why do you hate me so much?

 

‘Who’s there?’ Yena timidly yelled into the dark hallway.

 

Suddenly the doors of the elevator opened and Yena found herself falling backwards into it.

 

‘Yena?’

 

Yena adjusted her specs that had moved off the bridge of her nose. She looked up at the person.

 

‘Oh. Hello. Gyuri, right?’

 

Gyuri helped Yena up. ‘Yeah, that’s me. What are you doing here?’

 

‘Yuri’s roommate said she wasn’t back yet so I’m assuming she’s still here. Do you know where she is?’

 

‘I swear, that girl. Always overworking herself like this. She’s on the 9th floor and in room 906. Probably the only person left anyways, shouldn’t be too hard to find her.’

 

‘Thank you!’

 

‘You’re welcome.’ Gyuri stepped out the elevator. ‘By the way, when are you planning on asking her out?’

 

‘Asking her out? She has to like me back first.’ Yena chuckled. ‘Anyways, see you around!’

 

Gyuri waved to Yena as the doors of the elevator closed.

 

She watched the elevator ascend to the next floor.

 

‘Wait. Did she just imply that Yuri doesn’t like her back?’

 

……………..

 

(The girl left staring at the elevator debated whether or not she should meddle and tell Yuri. In the end, she decided against getting involved.)

 

…………..

 

Yena made her way to the 9th floor, skipping slightly down the halls as she looked for room 906.

 

(She was skipping partly because she was excited to see Yuri, but also she was trying to convince herself that the dark hallway wasn’t completely freaking her out.)

 

She almost walked into room 916 because she was in such a rush. It also didn’t help that Choi Yoojung, Yuri’s lowkey doppelgänger, was the girl inside of room 916.

 

Finally she found room 906. The lights were on and music was playing, but Yena couldn’t see anyone through the window.

 

She cautiously knocked on the door. No answer. She even knocked after the music stopped but still no movement. Maybe Yuri went to the bathroom?

 

‘Joyul?’ Yena cautiously opened the door, not wanting to stand in the dark hallway anymore.

 

When she opened the door, her heart swelled at the sight.

 

Yuri was sleeping peacefully in the corner of the practice room, her back against the wall and her laptop on her legs. Her head was leaning against the piano and Yena couldn’t help but melt at how she was sleeping with open. She quickly snapped a picture of the girl.

 

‘Should I wake her up?’ Yena asked out loud.

 

She watched as Yuri let out some soft snores.

 

‘No, I shouldn't. She looks way too cute for her own good.’

 

She crouched down and stared at Yuri’s sleeping figure, bringing a gentle hand under her chin to close . Yena let out a fond smile when Yuri’s mouth fell open again.

 

Yena carefully picked up Yuri’s laptop and packed it into her backpack. She also made sure to turn off the speakers and clean up the empty takeaway containers of food that she had brought her earlier. With Yuri’s backpack on her back, she crouched back down in front of the sleeping girl and softly pushed her bangs out of her face.

 

‘I’m glad you ate the food.’

 

Yena only got a snore in response.

 

The older girl took a deep breath. She placed the backpack over her shoulders and stared at Yuri.

 

‘God, now I regret skipping the gym.’

 

Yena slipped one arm under Yuri’s legs, the other supporting her back.

 

‘Okay, Yena. 1. 2.’ She took a deep breath. ‘3!’

 

She shakily carried Yuri up, her legs struggling to stand. It was a challenge but she got there in the end. It wasn’t too bad now but Yena knew that in about 2 minutes this was going to burn. At least Yuri’s dorm wasn’t too far from the music department.

 

Taking one last glance around the practice room, she shut the lights and left, with Yuri held bridal style in her arms.

 

As soon as the lights shut, Yena regretted everything.

 

Although there were faint lights shining from the cracks of 2 or 3 practice rooms, the hallway was almost pitch black.

 

‘Oh God.’ Yena said. ‘What am I going to do now? Yujin was right. I’m a coward.’

 

She held Yuri closer to her chest, trying to figure out a way to grab her phone for light.

 

‘Dammit.’ Yena hissed when she realised there was no way she could take out her phone and shine the light in the hallway and carry Yuri at the same time.

 

She stood up straighter. ‘Just go, Yena.’ She took a few quick steps down the hallway, trying to talk to herself for distractions. ‘High ho. High ho. It’s off to work we go. Bippity boppity boo. Bippity boppity boo.’

 

She let out a small yelp when she heard the wall creak from behind her. She frantically searched around the hall for any signs of movement. A shiver ran down her spine as every time she turned it felt like someone was watching her back.

 

‘I don’t want to die.’ Yena whined to herself. ‘Please, if you’re there. Please don’t kill me. I’m leaving now.’

 

Yena’s heart started to beat faster and she gripped Yuri tighter.

 

The wall creaked again and Yena yelped, freezing in the middle of the hallway.

 

She slowly turned her head behind her, looking far off down the hallways. When she squinted, it was almost like she saw something. Or someone. Yena felt a shiver go down her spine. Was that…

 

‘What are you doing here?’ A voice that wasn’t her own spoke into the darkness.

 

Yena let out a cry and went to break out into a run, only to trip over her own feet and tumble straight onto the floor. Thankfully she was able to turn her body so that she (or more specifically Yuri’s bag) was the one that got the full impact of the fall, and not Yuri.

 

With her arms clutching Yuri against her chest, Yena groaned in pain.

 

‘Unnie, are you okay?’

 

Yena looked down at the no more sleeping Yuri and let out another groan when she realised the person who spoke before, was in fact the girl laying on top of her, not a ghost.

 

‘I think I’m dying.’ Yena whined. Even through the darkness she could feel Yuri rolling her eyes at her.

 

‘You’re so dramatic.’ Yuri said, shaking her head. ‘Coward.’

 

‘Hey! I’m not a coward!’

 

‘Yes you are.’

 

‘No, I’m not!’

 

‘Yes.’

 

‘No!’

 

‘Yena, unnie.’

 

‘Yes! Wait, what?’

 

As much as Yuri enjoyed the feeling of being in Yena’s arms, her neck was starting to cramp up from having to lift her head up and look at Yena. Also, she felt a bit awkward lying in such a compromising position in the middle of the hallway. Mostly because she was scared someone would walk out on them.

 

‘Are you going to like… let go of me, now?’ Yuri said. Yena’s eyes widened when she realised their position. She quickly took her hands off of Yuri and pushed her off her chest. Yuri landed hard on her back.

 

‘You were the one laying on top of me.’ Yena defended weakly.

 

‘Ouch.’ Yuri sat up while rubbing her head. ‘I just asked if you were letting go of me. Why’d you have to go all hulk?’

 

‘Sorry.’ Yena said and held out her hand to help Yuri up.

 

A shiver ran down Yena’s spine as she gazed down the dark hallway past Yuri’s shoulders.

 

‘Yuri yah, don’t freak out but it looks like there’s someone there.’ Yena said softly, eyes searching the hallway.

 

‘What are you—‘ Yuri turned around to look. She shook her head, ‘that’s just a whiteboard with a hat. Shine your light on it.’

 

Yena did as she was told and sure enough, it was a whiteboard with a hat on it.

 

‘Scared me the first time I was here, too. Don’t worry.’

 

‘What? Me? Scared?’ Yena let out a nervous and forced laugh. ‘Why would I be scared? I’m a badass.’

 

‘Mhmm.’ Yuri said. She lowered her voice. ‘I guess you have reason to be scared especially with what happened before.’

 

‘W-what happened before?’

 

Yuri looked at Yena incredulously. ‘You mean, you haven’t heard the story?’

 

Yena shook her head.

 

‘Well,’ Yuri said, ‘rumours have it that 40 years ago in this very building, actually I think even this floor, there was a girl who was practicing in one of these practice rooms.’

 

Yena took a step closer to Yuri, eyes darting around the hall.

 

‘Apparently, she had so much pressure to do well, and it was eating up at her. She started to see red. Then something came over her.’

 

Yena’s hands started to sweat. ‘S-something?’

 

‘Mhmm. There was only her and her arch rival left on this floor. So, she stole a knife from her rival and…’

 

Yena inched closer to Yuri again. ‘... and?’

 

‘And…’ Yuri trailed off, her eyes widening slowly. She shakily pointed a finger to something to behind Yena. ‘U-unnie!’

 

Yena screamed and ran in the opposite direction that Yuri pointed to. When she had ran a few metres that was when she dared to look back. She realised that Yuri was still standing in her original position. She was about to yell to the girl to run when she realised Yuri was doubled over laughing. Yena realised too late what had happened.

 

‘Yah! Jo Yuri!’ Yena stomped towards the younger girl.

 

Yuri wiped a tear out of the corner of her eye, wheezing slightly. ‘Oh my God! That was the funniest thing! You were so scared! You really are a coward. That story was fake, by the way. I just made it up on the spot.’

 

‘Whatever.’ Yena huffed defeatedly. She knew there was no way she could bluff out of this one.

 

She started to walk towards the end of the hallway to find the elevator, Yuri trailing behind her.

 

Suddenly, the wall creaked again. Yena was already used to it, having heard it before.

 

However, when a loud yelp was heard through the hallways, it triggered Yena to yell too. She felt someone clinging onto her arm.

 

Yena looked down to see a frightened Yuri hanging onto her.

 

‘Aha!’ Yena said. ‘Who are YOU calling a coward, coward?

 

Yuri hit Yena lightly on the arm she was just clinging on to. She slipped her hand into Yena’s, entwining their fingers. ‘Shut up. Let’s just go.’

 

Yena decided not to push the situation anymore, instead focusing on the feeling of holding onto Yuri’s hand. She’s held a lot of people’s hands before. Yujin was an especially clingy person when she was growing up, especially to her Yena unnie. Since Yujin had grown older, holding hands grew less likely between the two in light of their constant playful bickering.

 

Recently, she held Wonyoung’s hand as Yujin waltzed up the stage to receive a prize in basketball for MVP of the season. It had been Yujin’s dream and her cousin and girlfriend were overjoyed for her. She’s even held Hyewon’s hands even though they were not as close as Hyewon and Yujin were, because Hyewon was a clingy person in general and latched onto everyone she was comfortable with.

 

But holding Yuri’s hand was different. Yuri was different.

 

She wouldn’t say Yuri’s hands were particularly soft, they were dainty, yes, and they were also firm and strong. Yena assumed it was from all of the piano playing. Her fingertips were also calloused, no doubt from the hours spent slaving away on the guitar. Yena has held softer and smoother hands, like her Mom’s or Wonyoung who had a particular love for hand creams. Yet, after holding Yuri’s hand, she never wanted to hold anyone else’s ever again.

 

Yena turned to look at Yuri, smiling lightly.

 

‘What is it?’ She asked Yena.

 

‘Nothing.’ Yena said. ‘I’m just thinking, you really work hard at your music, it’s admirable.’

 

Yuri sighed. ‘Thank you. But no matter how much I practice, something is missing. Like technically it’s there, but something’s missing in my heart.’

 

‘Maybe you’re not quite connecting with the song?’

 

Yuri paused her step in the hallway, Yena following suit. ‘You might be right.’

 

Yena smiled. ‘I know. I’m a genius.’

 

‘No, but really. I remember Yoojung sunbaenim talking about how she had this exact same problem during a couple years back, too. But, she found a cure. Kind of a strange cure but it makes sense, too?’

 

‘Was it witchcraft?’

 

Yuri let out a chuckle. ‘No. Stronger.’

 

‘What was it?’

 

Yuri let out a soft smile. ‘It was Doyeon sunbaenim.’

 

‘Doyeon ssi? Is she a wizard?’

 

‘No, unnie. But it was pretty magical. Yoojung sunbaenim said all she had to do was kiss her and the music would come alive.’ Yuri said, hoping Yena would get the hint.

 

‘Kind of like a true love’s kiss, huh?’ Yena said. ‘Interesting. A bit cheesy but it makes a lot of sense.’

 

‘Cheesy?’ Yuri said, turning to Yena. ‘I think it’s cute. It’s really sweet too.’

 

‘I really admire you Fine Arts majors. I mean, to succeed in something like engineering, you just have to be really knowledgeable and there is only one way to do something and only one way or else the whole thing will explode and probably kill you. But, with Fine Arts majors, there’s a lot of heart involved, isn’t there? It’s really easy to just study and memorise formulas and stuff in engineering, but to be able to hone the emotions of your heart to keep producing art and to perform well? Now, that’s hard. You guys aren’t given enough credit.’

 

When Yena finished her ramble, Yuri didn’t say anything in response. Yena looked at the girl in worry.

 

‘Sorry, did I say something wrong? Oh! I talked too long again, didn’t I? I’m sorry, you know me I do that when I’m deep in tho-‘ Yena’s sentence was interrupted by a pair of lips on hers.

 

She felt Yuri’s arms around her neck and Yena instinctively wrapped her arms around Yuri’s waist to pull her closer.

 

They kissed for what felt like ages until Yena pulled away first. However, she kept her arms around Yuri’s waist and Yuri kept hers around her neck.

 

‘W-wha— why?’ Yena stuttered like an idiot.

 

Yuri giggled. ‘You were being really cute. Especially since you’re wearing those specs.’ She poked at the rim of Yena’s glasses.

 

‘So, you kissed me?’

 

Yuri nodded, and leaned in yet again to kiss her. Yena found herself leaning in too but she stopped herself.

 

‘Wait. Yuri.’ Yena put one hand forward to stop Yuri from coming any closer.

 

‘Is something wrong?’

 

Yena averted her eyes from the girl in front of her, not wanting any eye contact. ‘I’ve been meaning to talk to you about something.’

 

She couldn’t see Yuri’s face but the girl brightened up, thinking that it was finally going to happen, Yena was finally going to ask her out.

 

(Unfortunately, Yena wasn’t going to.)

 

‘Obviously, I really like kissing you, right? And I shouldn’t be complaining because kissing you is like the best thing ever I’m literally buzzing right now I feel like I drank 10 energy drinks.’ Yena said, then she sighed. ‘But, I think it’s right to tell you this, now.’

 

Yuri’s furrowed her eyebrows. ‘Tell me, what? Did something happen?’

 

‘Look,’ Yena found the courage to look Yuri in the eyes, ‘I know that you’re still sad about the thing and you need a distraction, like I get it. I really do. And even though it hurts, I’m still willing to do this.’

 

‘Unnie, I don’t understand.’

 

‘What I’m saying is… I’m willing to be your rebound.’

 

Yuri stared at Yena, the word rebound echoing around their heads.

 

‘Unnie, what are you on about? Rebound? For what?’

 

Yena drew a circle on the ground with her foot. ‘You know… Chaewon.’

 

Yuri froze. She stared at Yena in surprise.

 

Yena took this as her cue to continue. ‘I know you still like Chaewon. It’s really obvious, you get so upset every time our friends bring up the idea of us dating when we’re in front of her.’

 

Yuri kept silent for a moment, thinking things over in her head.

 

Then she raised her arm and started punching Yena repeatedly in the arm.

 

‘Ow!’ Yena howled, trying desperately to block her attacks. ‘Yuri! Stop that!’

 

‘You stupid little— ugh!’ Yuri said moving onto the other arm.

 

‘Ow! Yuri! What are you doing? Why are you hitting me?’

 

‘Because!’ Yuri exclaimed in exasperation. You’re the stupidest’ she hit Yena once, ‘damn duck,’ she hit her again, ‘ever,’ she slapped Yena’s shoulder, ‘stupid,’ one hit, ‘stupid,’ another hit, ‘stupid!’

 

She prepared her arm for an extra strong hit but Yena was able to grab onto Yuri’s wrist to stop her. When Yuri lifted up her other hand Yena grabbed that one too.

 

‘Let me go!’ Yuri tried to wriggle out of Yena’s grip.

 

‘Not unless you promise to stop hitting me!’

 

‘But you deserve it!’

 

Yuri struggled for a bit more before eventually getting tired. Her shoulders slumped in exhaustion and her arms fell limp in Yena’s grasp.

 

‘Okay fine. I give up.’

 

Yena eyed her suspiciously and slowly lowered her arms, before releasing her grip on Yuri’s wrists. She still made sure to be cautious, keeping Yuri’s hands in her peripheral vision.

 

‘Thank you.’ Yena said, rubbing her arms. ‘May I please know, why in the hell you just went full godzilla mode on me?’

 

Yuri went to pinch the bridge of her nose in exasperation, the sudden movement causing Yena to reflexively brought her hands out in a defensive position.

 

‘Yuri?’

 

Yuri sighed. ‘You’re an idiot. Really.’

 

Yena nodded. ‘Well, I know that. But, why did that earn me a beating?’

 

‘Because!’ Yuri shook her hands in the air in frustration. ‘I cannot BELIEVE you think I still like Chaewon. After all the things I’ve been doing with you, lately? I kissed you! Twice for goodness sake! Do you think I give a rat’s about Chaewon, anymore?’

 

‘Wait. You don’t like Chaewon, anymore?’ Yena asked.

 

‘No! Yena unnie, I like you,’ she jabbed her finger into Yena’s chest, ‘ duck.’

 

‘What? Really? Are you sure?’

 

‘Ugh. You’re such an idiot.’ Yuri raised her hand up to hit Yena again but Yena grabbed her arm and pulled her closer, kissing her lightly. When she felt Yuri relax her arms, she pulled away.

 

Yena smiled at Yuri. ‘You mean it? As in you LIKE like me?’

 

‘Yes, unnie.

 

‘Why haven’t you asked me out, yet? You knew I liked you.’

 

‘These past couple weeks I’ve been waiting for you to ask me out. I thought you would have gotten the hint by now. Clearly I was wrong. That was poor judgement on my half.’

 

Yena nodded. ‘Yes, it was. Rule number 1, Miss Jo Yuri, if you’re going to date me, I’m bad at reading signs and it’s best to just talk to me about things straight up, got it?’

 

‘I got it.’ Yuri said. ‘And what do you mean, if? I AM going to date you. I. Like. You. I want to be your girlfriend.’

 

‘Really? You’re going to ask me to be your girlfriend in the middle of this creepy hallway in the music department?’

 

Yuri rolled her eyes at Yena. ‘Fine, then. Let’s go outside.’

 

She went to walk to the elevator but Yena grabbed her arm and spun her around to face her. She wrapped her arm around Yuri’s waist, pulling her closer and she rested her forehead on Yuri’s.

 

‘I was kidding.’ Yena said

 

Yuri let out a soft smile at the way Yena’s voice softened.

 

Yena’s raspy voice rung out the hallway. ‘I don’t care where or how you ask me. My answer will be the same no matter what.’

 

Then she leaned in to kiss Yuri softly.

 

……….

 

(‘Wait, Yuri, so are we girlfriends now?’

 

‘We just spent the last half an hour making out in your bed. And now we’re cuddling. What do you think, genius?’

 

‘Well, none of us actually asked? Whatever, stuff it. Yuri, would you be my girlfriend?’

 

‘Duh, of course.’

 

‘That’s not a very romantic response.’

 

‘You said you don’t like cheesy things.’

 

‘I just pointed out the true love’s kiss thing was cheesy, I never said I didn’t like it.

 

‘Speaking of it, can you meet me before my performance tomorrow?’

 

‘Of course. Why?’

 

‘So I can kiss you.’)

 

…………...

 

(Yena realised that whether the universe loved her or not, didn’t matter. She had her whole world in her arms, anyways.)