Chapter Seven (Jiheon): Struggle

Off The Record
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiheon



*BUZZ* *BUZZ*

“Breaking News! Breakings News!”

“Presidential Running Mate to Baek Jiheon, Kim “The Llama” Minju has been spotted wreaking havoc all over Seoul! Sources say she’s gathered her minions and is planning on attacking earth! This surely won’t play well in the critical voting block of “Humans” in the upcoming election.”

. . .

I glance over at my phone, eyeing the notifications on screen.

It’s Yujin.

Again.

Tonight’s our weekly movie night, it’s tradition at the Fromis dorm, but for the past few hours I’ve been getting spammed by Yujin. Apparently they went out to film for something and she insists on taking me along for the ride one way or another.

I should just ignore it, it’s rude to keep going on my phone when we’re all supposed to be watching a movie together and really Jiheon, what do you expect? You know it’s just going to be some silly pointless message and ~everyyytime you check it, it’s just encouraging her to send more.

.

..

...

But what the hell did that message mean anyway? Bad for the election? Minju and me are running together now...I can’t have Yujin doing weird things to her...I’ve already burdened her enough with having to run with me...

Sigh...

I go to unlock my phone and check the messages and am greeted with a photo attached to it.

It’s a photo of Minju, asleep on what looks like their bus and she has two chopsticks stuck in her nose, marker drawn onto her face, a few green army men set up on the food tray in front of her and Yujin standing behind her making an overexaggerated “shocked” face with her hand over .

. . .

You see, what did I tell you? We did this to ourselves, we knew it, we knew it before it happened, yet we clicked and look what happened. This is exactly why we only got a 98 on that physics exam, always second guessing oursel-

“Jiheon, is something wrong? You’ve been on your phone for the whole movie” I feel a tap on my shoulder and a voice behind me.

Saerom Unnie leans in and looks at my phone.

“Is...is that Minju?” She chuckles trying to get a better look.

I pull my phone away and clutch it tight against me chest.

“haha, it’s just uh, Yujin, she sends weird stuff, I barely even look at it” I nervously spit out.

“Ah, you young ones are so energetic, but I wouldn’t take you for one who enjoys pranks so much Jiheonie” She tells me, poking my cheek.

Tch! I’m not a kid, Unnie!

“I should be happy though shouldn’t I? We have such a great honey maknae! Our youngest is such a good student!” She continues talking to me like a little kid and poking my face.

I feel myself boil over with anger and power up to my highest form to smite her down for this indecent display, but back down in reality I just whine and tell to stop calling me “Honey”, all of which she ignores and continues pestering me until she’s fully satisfied.

....at least Minju Unnie get’s to be passed out when she’s being teased...

Once she’s had enough she looks back towards my phone that has now slipped down to my lap during her assault.

“But, shouldn’t they be keeping that sort of stuff to their group chat though? That’s probably not a good idea to be sending around, they need to maintain their image” Romsae whispers to me in earnest as she slips back under her blanket.

She’s right...it may seem like it’s being too high strung, but it’s just the reality of being an idol, you can’t always have fun like other people our age do. I’ll just delete the photo

The rest of the night was rather uneventful, or well no, no such thing exists in the Fromis household, but nothing out of the ordinary, just typical stuff like Megan screaming

I reached out to Minju in a very calm and rational way to let her know about the picture I received.

“UNNIE, YOU’RE KILLING US, HOW WILL WE SURVIVE IF YOU LET THEM DO STUFF LIKE THAT! ? PROTECT YOUR IMAGE, I BEG YOU” I sent, but with a very calm demeanor mind you.

“ :’(   I’m sorry” She wrote back, making me feel bad for the poor girl.

“It’s okay it’s not your fault they tease you so much, also we should meet tomorrow at lunch and talk about preparing and stuff, Yujin should come too” I write back to her before deciding on more.

“Also, Evil Chopsticks Empress, please avoid attacking the west side of town while I sleep, thanks in advance!”

“Ehhhh!?!? Jiheon not you too!!” Is the last message I see flash over my screen as I close my phone and get into bed.

 

 

Following Week, Cafeteria, 11:30AM:

“I don’t want to win that way” I say firmly, looking across the table.

“What do you mean? You want to beat her right? It’s totally normal to see that as the best option,  if we bring in our groups and do a show or even just a rally, I’m sure that would give you a huge advantage” Yujin says tapping a pen against her notebook.

“She’s right...if we just ask the others to come I’m sure that would make this a lot easier...” Minju says looking over to me with pleading eyes.

“No, If we can’t win without that, then we don’t deserve to in the first place” I state firmly once again, unwilling to budge on the matter.

“If we win that way, then what separates us from her? We’d just be abusing what we have. I don’t want to win just because I’m a member of an idol group, I want to win because they believe in me, believe in US.” I say, reaching over and patting Minju’s hand.

Yujin sighs and looks over to me.

“Well if you’re gonna choose the hard way, then we got no choice. Have you come up with any proposals or something then? I don’t really get this whole process in the first place, I mean I usually just vote for whoever has the best food at their rally”

Well yes, that’s what Golden Retrievers do, they run to whoever has food to give them, Yujin.

Although to be fair, she probably does have a good point buried in there somewhere. I doubt most of the student body cares too much about the election, most just vote for who they like the most or who they see as being the best for the job without looking too hard into the details.

Minju must’ve spotted a sense of worry cut across my face as she immediately interjects.

“I-I’m sorry...” She pouts, unable to make eye contact with me. 

“I just don’t get how it all works, I’ll try my best but really I don’t think I’ll be much of any help...” Minju says with a dejected look across her face.

“It’s not your fault...if I could’ve just handled myself you wouldn’t have gotten into this mess in the first place... “ I think to myself.

“When I was reading the other candidates plans, I didn’t even understand half of the things they were saying. I swear it’s like they are writing in riddles. And in Hana’s, she said they will add Air conditioners to every single classroom in the entire school and push to make schooldays start an hour later, is that even possible?” She says looking at me with her head on the table.

“Well..

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter