2. Hopes and dreams need a job too

Rescue Me

Hitomi walked around sluggishly on the streets of Gangnam. Even though she's Japanese, she's used to the hustle and bustle of Gangnam unlike when she moved to Korea 4 years ago. Having spent a lot of money on college and Korean language school, she was able to do well academically. She graduated with excellent grades and spoke Korean like a native speaker. After she graduated, she expected job hunting to be easy, given her qualifications.

However her first few interviews did not go as planned. Many employers couldn't believe she was capable of such achievements because she was "too cute to be smart". Now, she changes her hairstyle to a more mature one before she comes to an interview look sophisticated and deserving of the achievements she attained.

 

However, when the interview starts she somehow gets shy and messes up in the end. This was exactly what happened an hour ago. Now, Hitomi just wanted to treat herself to her favorite comfort food: cheese.

 

She found her strength anew when she saw the snack bar that she almost ran to it. She opens the door loudly and was immediately greeted by a beautiful black-haired girl who was busy looking at food blogs at the counter.

 

"No bangs today, huh? Let me guess, another job interview?" The girl at the counter puts her phone down and starts getting specific types of cheese hotdogs and bread from the shelves. This has been a common occurrence that it has become protocol for the store to serve these breads whenever "bang-less" Hitomi came in.

 

"Yeah, it was so bad I squirmed on my seat, " Hitomi replied, taking a seat at one of the empty tables in the store, fully confident that the lady already knows her order. "I should just work for you, Hyewon-unnie. You know that I can help out here with my cheese expertise. No cheese, no life. mmmmmmwah" Hitomi continued as she made a gesture with her hands touching lips like chefs do when they taste something delicious.

 

"First of all, you're the only customer that keeps this snack bar afloat. If I asked you to work for me, I'd definitely go bankrupt and have this place closed down. Do you want that to happen?" Hyewon asks the younger girl loudly as she makes her way to Hitomi's table to serve her food.

 

"Oh no, then I'm definitely not working here. I don't want to lose my main supplier of happiness," Hitomi said with a smirk. "Since I'm a loyal customer, can you also add on a slice of strawberry shortcake on the house?" Hitomi continued with her smirk transforming to her cute smile that she knew Hyewon can't resist.

 

"Sorry, we're all out of them today. I finished the last slice a few minutes before you came in," Hyewon replied. It was now Hyewon's turn to smirk since it was one of the rare times she got out of giving Hitomi free food. The girl's smile was just so irresistible.

 

The said smile, however, slowly disappeared as Hitomi heard Hyewon's response. "Unnie! That's why you're not making any money. You eat too much of your own food. If you ate less, you might make enough money to hire me," Hitomi replied. Hyewon just laughed in response and said, "Thats definitely not happening, my loyal customer. Go home now, it's getting late."

 

Hitomi packed the food and went out of the snack bar. She feels her anxiety about the interview getting replaced by her excitement to eat her food. Hyewon's cheese hotdogs are well-known for having stretchy cheese fillings, which brings Hitomi unimaginable joy.

 

She was about to reach the bus stop when her phone started vibrating. She just got a message from the HR department of the company she interviewed at earlier. The message said,

 

 

"Good evening, Ms. Honda Hitomi. We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted in our company as an associate analyst for our Behavioral Analysis department. Please respond by tomorrow if you are willing to take the job. Congratulations!" 

 

Hitomi almost dropped her food in shock. She was not expecting any good news since she thought she totally bombed the interview, but that doesn't matter anymore. She was so excited that she was jumping up and down like a maniac on the sidewalk. She can now make money to buy more cheese hotdogs!

 

What Hitomi doesn't notice is a pair of headlights moving side to side. A car travelling down the road was moving erratically as the driver fell asleep while driving. Inevitably, the car swerves to the lane of cars moving in the opposite direction and into the path of a ten-wheeler semi.

 

It all happened so fast. A loud honk, brakes screeching, sounds of bumpers crashing against each other. Hitomi almost didn't notice; she was on her phone trying to write the best possible response to the message when she saw two bright lights heading towards her direction. It was too late to get out of the way. 

 

She saw the lights, and suddenly everything was red, and then darkness.