6. Fin

Rescue Me

It's been three months since the incident and Chaewon was sitting on the bench outside the fire station. Chaewon couldn't stop thinking about what happened that day, and how it changed her life. Everyday she thought of what Hitomi said and how she needed to change her outlook in life. Now Chaewon's at the fire station again, on the verge of tears with her hand fiddling with an envelope inside her front pocket.

 

She missed Hitomi. She wanted to see her face right now and pinch her chubby cheeks, but that's not likely to happen right now. She was sad about how things turned out, but it couldn't be helped. Oh, well.

 

She finally took out the envelope that had her resignation letter inside her front pocket. I guess that's it. As much as hate to say it, I'm going to miss this place.

 

She was about to head in to the office when she heard a familiar high-pitched voice call out to her.

 

"Chaewon-ah! You're not going to turn that in alone, right?"

 

And there she was. Standing, albeit with crutches, looking at her with the same bright eyes she had when they first met.

 

Hitomi.

 

Chaewon was definitely not expecting this. That night, they reached the ER on time and managed to save Hitomi, thanks to Yena's drifting skills. However, Hitomi was transferred to a hospital in Japan specialized in physical therapy for cases like Hitomi's. She didn't know when Hitomi was going to come back, or if she was going to come back, until now.

 

Using her crutches as support, Hitomi walked towards Chaewon and said, "Today's the day, huh? I got your message and I went here as soon as I could. Are you sure you're going to do this?"

 

"Yeah. Well I need to since I need to study for the coming semester. Hankook University's med program isn't easy, you know?" Chaewon replied boastfully, to which Hitomi let out a laugh. Chaewon heeded Hitomi's advice and reapplied to med school again. True enough, the selection committee was impressed with her background as a paramedic and was accepted to the program.

 

She continued to work as a paramedic to earn money for medical school, all the while taking Hitomi's words to heart. I shouldn't blame myself as long as I do my best. It's impossible to save everyone, but I have to do my best to try and save as many as I can. Looking back, Hitomi wasn't the only one who was rescued. She also rescued Chaewon from her own prison of guilt and insecurities. Because of Hitomi, I can live life again. 

 

"So, after this... Coffee?"

 

Hitomi took Chaewon's hand as they slowly walked towards the office.

 

"Yes. Yes. A million times, yes."

 

-------------

A/N: That's the end! I debated on just putting everything in one chapter but it seemed a little bit too long. I'm working on a Yulyen AU right now, and (spoiler) ssambbang will also make an appearance there! I hope you enjoyed this AU.