3. Trouble

Rescue Me

Back at the station (Chaewon) 

 

"Maybe it's time...", she muttered to herself as her grip on the envelope tightens.

 

Suddenly, the siren at the fire station went off. . Perfect timing. She headed to the locker room to get her gear and met up with Eunbi and Yena, who were also on their way to the ambulance.

 

"Traffic accident. Multi-vehicle collision in a busy intersection downtown. 6 cars involved. Some pedestrians were reported to be injured," Eunbi briefed them as the ambulance heads out of the station. Eunbi notices that Chaewon had her head down and her facial expression clearly showed how uneasy and anxious the younger girl was. Eunbi turns to Chaewon and says, "Be prepared for the worst. I know you can do this. Let's do our best to save those we can save, okay?" 

 

Chaewon lifts her head up when she heard Eunbi's words and replied, "Yes Ma'am. I'll do my best."

 

Since it's going to be my last.

 

--------

 

The ambulance arrived at the scene first, thanks to Yena's driving skills and what the paramedics saw was terrifying beyond their expectation. 

 

There were three cars piled up, one behind the other, with bumpers taking significant damage. At a close distance from the pileup, there were two overturned cars in either side of the median. However, it was the semi that caught their attention. The 18-wheeler had gone off the road and into the sidewalk where a bus stop was originally. It wasn't looking pretty good for Chaewon, especially with what happened earlier today. It's going to be a long night.

 

Eunbi grabbed Chaewon's arm and pulled her close. "I know you're in a bad headspace right now, but I need you to be in top condition right now to help us out. If you can't do it, tell me now and I won't hold it against you. You can stay in the ambulance while you get yourself together and I can ask Yena to help me instead," Eunbi said with a hard tone. 

 

Chaewon was tempted by the offer. She could just wait in the ambulance and let all this blow over, but that would be wrong to do for her last call. Chaewon shook her head and said, "I'm good. I can do it. Trust me."

 

"Okay then," Eunbi said while putting her hand on Chaewon's shoulder. She then gestured for Yena to come over to tell them the plan for retrieving victims.

 

"Yena, look for victims on the south side. Don't go too far from the ambulance, we might need you to drive an urgent case to the hospital. Chaewon, you take the west side. I'll take the east side. Communicate through radio if you see a patient. Report their status and apply first aid if possible. The firemen are going to arrive shortly, so we should do what we can before they get here," said Eunbi.

 

"Yes, Ma'am!" replied the two paramedics and went on their way.

 

------

 

Chaewon walked over to the location of the truck and looked around. The body of the truck was leaning on one side because of three blown tires. If she wasn't careful, she might get caught under the truck if it falls on its side. She carefully stepped up to the platform looked in the driver's seat and saw the driver. She put her fingers on his neck to check for a pulse. Nothing. . She carefully jumps down and goes to the passenger side. No pulse. Two dead. As she jumped down to the ground, she saw a pool of blood coming from under the truck. 

 

She quickly looked for the source of the blood and she saw her. Her eyes were closed and blood was trickling down her forehead. 

 

Please don't be dead. 

 

She reached for her radio and called for Eunbi. "Eunbi, I've checked the truck's crash site. The driver and the passenger are dead, but there is a body under the truck. I'm going to check if she's still alive," reported Chaewon as she was getting ready to crawl under the truck.

 

Eunbi replied, "Negative, Chaewon. It's too dangerous and we can't afford you getting injured. Wait for reinforcements." Eunbi's reply was proven too late as Chaewon already crawled in under the truck. As Chaewon was getting closer and closer to the body, she couldn't help but notice that the girl was a bit cute. The girl seemed younger than she was, which made Chaewon feel worse. Nobody deserves this, especially someone like her who's very young and cute. Once she was near enough, Chaewon tried to reach for the girl's neck. However, she was shocked as the girl's hand suddenly grabbed her arm. With her eyes half-open, the girl then looked at her and asked,

 

"Are you my angel?"