Chapter 5

The Place Where Wishes Come True
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Oh, Sakura."

 

'Why is this happening?' 

 

“Yujin?” she uttered and the said person once again just smiled at her with those irresistible dimples, again.

 

She had a 9-month relationship with Yujin upon entering university. Since then, she heard next to nothing about her.

 

“Didn’t expect to see you here. Where are you heading?” Yujin said as the bus starts moving.

 

“Well, I want to go for some hiking now,” her voice lowered almost like a whisper.

 

“Woah, looks like we’re in the same boat,” she laughed, “Well, that sure is surprising. Didn’t really know you’re into this thing. Did your fiancé influenced you?”

 

‘Again’ she thought. She was reminded about Chaeyeon. “Well, not really. I’m going alone. How about you?” she said, her voice shaking a little bit that Yujin didn’t miss.

 

She just shrugged it off and replied, “Well, I kinda need a plant in the mountains for my research. You know, medicine is quite demanding.”

 

Yujin is an intelligent person, so no one was surprised when she decided to be a doctor. But, Sakura didn’t fail to notice that Yujin seemed to be relax than the last time. Back then, Yujin was always doubtful of her. When she won’t tell her even her smallest secrets, she always thought there’s big going on.

 

“Um…” Sakura struggled to find words; she didn’t know exactly what to do.

 

“Hey, don’t go awkward at me. I got over you, you know.”

 

Sakura looked at her eyes, she can’t see any hesitation when she said that. ‘Maybe Yujin did really changed’ she thought.

 

 

~*~

The bus stopped at a small village at the foot of the mountain. The village was filled with small huts and there were only few cemented houses.

 

“Looks like it’s our stop. Come on,” she stood up and gestured for Sakura to get up.

 

Sakura followed soon. Another three people got out of the bus with hiking bags behind them. As soon as the five of them stepped out, a woman dressed in hiking clothes welcomed them. Sakura figured it must be their guide.

 

“Good morning, to all of you. My name is Yunjin and I will be your guide for the whole hiking,” she said cheerfully.

 

Yunjin oriented on the proper procedures and guidelines for the hike. After an hour of preparations, they finally started.

 

Yujin decided to keep her company for the hike.

 

Even though the hike has just started it was already very tiring for Sakura since she was not experienced. That made Yujin laughed at her every time she tripped that slowed down the group.

 

“So, mind if I asked what’s the real reason that you’re here? Why isn’t your fiancé here?” she asked.

 

Sakura went silent after she said that.

 

“You’re invading my privacy, you know?” she defended.

“I don’t think so. Just asking as a friend,” she handed her hand to help Sakura on a rugged cliff, “Oops. Careful.”

“Not now. I’ll tell you later,” When I’m ready.

“Promise?”

Sakura thought what harm could be done, “Sure.”

 

 

~*~

“Hey, Yujin. You know, I’ve noticed you’ve changed,” she said.

“Really, in what way?”

“Well,” Sakura hesitated, maybe Yujin will get mad at her, “You’re more cheerful and you’re less doubtful... I guess.”

“Really? That’s good. But I don’t think I’m less doubtful,” she replied while picking a broken branch for Sakura to use.

“Why though? Don’t you like that I’m doubtful?” she added.

 

Sakura was confused. Is being doubtful likeable? While she, herself, has doubts of her own especially at her wedding day, doubting is nevertheless not likeable at all. It’s not.

 

Thinking this conversation will lead to some answers for her to pick up, she thought of asking Yujin about it. This is fate again testing me, letting me realize my own choices.

 

“Well, I don’t. If you’re doubtful, you’re less likely to trust one another. And for me it’s like disrespecting the other one,” she said with a bit of distaste because she also dissed herself. Idiot, she thought.

 

Yujin stopped and laughed. “Is that what you think? Well, I think people should be doubted.”

“Ha? You really are a skeptic,” she said, resuming their walk but paid attention to what Yujin will answer.

 

“I’m not surprised. Many people misunderstand this concept. Doubting people is just part of getting to know them. What many people call ‘trust’ is really just giving up on trying to understand others and that very fact is far worse than doubting. It is actually called ‘apathy’.”

 

Sakura was speechless. Spoken like an educated lady or should I say, a wise one. She didn’t know Yujin thinks like that. But, she has a point. Maybe she was also less understanding when they were in a relationship. She shouldn’t have judged the way she does.

 

It also made her feel a bit less guilty to what she has done to Chaeyeon. She doubted herself not only because she thought she doesn’t deserve her, but also because of her deep love for her. To earn the real trust as they live their married life in the future, it also means filling each other’s imperfections, having doubts, having unending arguments, in order to understand each other better.

 

She smiled to herself with that realization. 

 

“You’re really weird,” all that Sakura managed to say.

 

Yujin laughed so hard catching the attention of their fellow hikers.

 

“Shut up Yujin,” Sakura demanded.

“Okay. Okay,” she said holding back her laugh.

They kept talking as Sakura was glad she could dissipate her stress with the help of Yujin.

 

 

~*~

“Wait!” Yujin shouted.  The group stopped and turned at her.

 

“What?! What is it?!” Yunjin asked rushing towards her.

 

“Oh, sorry for alarming you. Well, I just found the plant I’m looking for,” Yujin said in embarrassment. “Can you wait for a minute?”

“Is that so? Sure, sure. No problem,” Yunjin replied. “Guys! We’re going to have a break for now,” she said to the group.

 

Yujin readied her tools before proceeding to get the plant. Sakura didn’t follow her and sat on a boulder to rest. When Yujin got back, she’s holding a plastic containing her samples. She got dirt all over her body and a small gash on her left arm.

 

“What happened? Are you alright?” Sakurra asked worriedly.

 

“Nothing. I just accidentally slipped off when pulling the plants.”

 

Sakura didn’t pursue the topic ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter