Savory

Making Change

Krystal lay on Amber's bed studying each of her plushies. Most of them were fan gifts, others from friends and family.

She picked up a particularly adorable llama and kissed it on the nose. 

“Cute,” she murmured, then rolled over on the bed, kicking her shoes off onto the floor and blinking up at the ceiling fan, wondering how long it would take for Amber to get back from wherever she was.

She couldn't believe she'd decided to stop by after Amber had told her she missed her. 

Krystal had been planning to just hang out with her family in San Francisco while Jessica worked.

But Amber…had said she missed her…

She pressed the heels of her palms to her eyes, wondering why she’d been so reluctant to come. Their friendship had definitely changed over the last year or so and she had no idea why. She knew Amber avoided her sometimes, then out of the blue she would do something sweet to support her work or just to be there for her like she used to. And…and she’d said she missed her. 

She sighed and hoped she wouldn’t regret making this detour to LA. 


Krystal jerked up when she heard a door slam and some footsteps. She scrubbed at the corner of and eyes, realizing she’d fallen asleep. 

“Sorry it took me so long to get here,” Amber said, a whirlwind of noise and motion as she came into the room removing her bag and shoes and a light jacket despite it being really hot in California. “Traffic .” She stopped in front of a mirror and started fiddling with her hair, which looked limp and pale after being sweated on. 

“It’s okay. I had a nap,” Krystal said, relaxing back and watching Amber gather some clothes and a towel. 

“I’m about to shower. I just feel so gross. Make yourself comfortable.” She looked over her shoulder at Krystal, realizing she’d already made herself comfortable. A little smile tugged at the corner of her lips. “I’ll be out in a sec.” 

Krystal felt the usual buzz in her skin from being around Amber. The girl had so much energy, it was like it poured off of her and made Krystal restless as well. She tried to settle back down, but prickles started in her legs so she had to stand and pace as she waited for Amber to emerge from the bathroom. 

After about ten minutes the older girl re-emerged in a pink tank cut so deep in the arms Krystal could see her sports bra and the sides of her flat stomach underneath. Amber rubbed at her short blonde hair with a soft towel and flicked a smile at Krystal. “Are you hungry? I could make us something or we could go out to eat?” 

Krystal assessed  Amber’s comfortable sweats and top and shook her head. “We can stay in and order something. I know how you cook.” 

She didn’t miss the light flush on Amber’s cheeks. She smirked to herself. 

“Well go ahead and pick something to order, I’m up for anything but pizza.” 

“I could go for some Chinese.” 

Amber’s cheeks reddened again and Krystal stifled a laugh behind her hand. She was so easy sometimes.

“I’ve got some menus out on the counter, so…” she gestured with her hand and Krystal wandered out into the living room, hearing Amber trail behind her, bare feet soft on the wooden floors. 

They both stopped at the kitchen counter and Krystal riffled through the many menus Amber and her roommate had collected over time. 

“I usually don’t have time to cook and like you said, it’s not that great,” Amber explained as if she were defending her menu collecting habit. 

Krystal touched her hand. Even though she liked to tease Amber, she never wanted to make her genuinely feel bad. “I’m sure with a little more practice-“ she paused when Amber pulled away from her, something she’d been doing more and more frequently. Krystal pressed her fingers together, then reached for one of the Chinese menus to keep her hands busy. “You’d get better," she continued. "It’s not that hard.” 

“Says the girl who’s great at making sandwiches and little else,” Amber scoffed, leaning her elbows on the counter causing her shirt to drape open. 

What’s the point of wearing the tank? Might as well just wear the bra!

Krystal rolled her eyes and jerked them away from Amber's unique blend of hard muscles and soft, padded skin. “At least I can bake.” 

“Like three things.”

“Four now, actually,” she said with a sniff, making Amber laugh. It startled her when she felt Amber’s hand land on the back of her neck and give it a squeeze, shaking her a around a little. It had been some time since Amber did that. She’d missed it.

“I’m glad you’re here,” Amber told her, looking down at the counter top.

Krystal scooted a closer til their elbows touched on the warm surface. “Me too.” 

 


 

“Who do you keep texting?” They were in the middle of a Game of Thrones marathon. Amber had insisted Krystal would love it and they just had to watch it. But an hour in and Amber wasn’t paying any attention to the show or to her, instead she was tapping away on her phone. 

Can’t she at least turn off the sound for the keys? Annoying!

“A friend. Sorry.” Amber leaned back against the couch and half-heartedly nibbled on some fried rice that had gone cold half an hour ago. 

“Which friend?” 

“You don’t really know her. It doesn’t matter.” 

Krystal massaged her forehead, wondering why Amber always seemed to be keeping something from her these days. Was the girl she was talking to a girlfriend? Amber had dated in the past. Guys. But sometimes she would hang out with certain girls who would come and go in her life and Krystal would be left wondering. Was she?...

But if she were interested in girls, why would she keep that from Krystal? They were friends. She knew Krystal wouldn’t turn against her for it, right?

“I still want to know about you,” Krystal said quietly. “You never tell me anything anymore.” 

"I tell you everything!"

Krystal cocked a brow at her and Amber's eyes darted around the room as if seeking assistance.

“I try to tell you everything. It’s…I’m sorry,” Amber said, tugging nervously on her fingers until Krystal heard them give a slight pop. She winced and grimaced at the gross sound. 

“So, the girl on the phone?” 

“Erm, her name is Emily.” Amber seemed confused by the diversion back to her friend. 

Krystal riffled through her mind until her memory settled on the image of a girl with curvy hips and large s who’d featured in a number of Amber’s Instagram story updates. 

“Hmm…why don’t you invite her over?” 

“She’s already seen all these episodes,” Amber demurred, “Besides, she’s busy this weekend.” 

Is she or you just don't want me to see you together? “I’ve seen pictures of her. She’s cute.” 

“Yeah,” Amber shrugged like she hadn’t noticed. Then a little smile came over her face that made Krystal’s eyeball twitch. “Her personality is a mess though.” 

“Hmph. Well. That’s nice.” She thummped her back in to the plush leather cushion of Amber's sofa, trying to get comfortable, and turned back to the screen to catch a group of people going at it like they needed to make babies yesterday. She pressed her fingertips to her temples. “I don’t really feel like watching this right now. I think I have a headache.” 

Amber quickly switched off the television and turned to Krystal with concern, reaching out for Krystal’s face, then hesitating. “Do you want to go lie down again?”

You never used to hesitate to touch me... “No. Not really. I just want to sit in the dark a bit. Talk to you.” 

“About what?” 

Krystal sighed and let her head flop back on the couch. She scooched down until her head was on the arm, then forced her feet into Amber’s lap. “I don’t know. Something. Anything. Everything. Nothing. Sometimes I feel like you’re hiding something from me,” she froze. She hadn’t meant to say that last bit. “We don’t really talk anymore…” she murmured. 

She felt Amber’s hands hovering over her feet until one landed firmly around her ankle, giving it a little squeeze. Her strong fingers massaged for a bit, then worked their way up her calf, then back down, sending sparks across the surface of her skin. Amber angled herself slightly so she could put an elbow on the back of the couch to prop up her head while her right hand continued to massage Krystal’s lower legs. 

She sighed and let herself relax. 

“You want to come to the gym with me tomorrow?” Amber asked, breaking the silence that had fallen between them. 

Krystal blinked hard and shook her head a little. She’d hoped Amber was about to open up, but apparently…no. 

“Sure. I didn’t really bring any work out gear though.” 

“Don’t worry,” Amber said, squeezing her foot. “I have extra.” 

Krystal eyed the slinky tank and stylish sports bra. Of course you do.