foul

the alphabet of happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

seungwan catches a glimpse of the rival soccer team's captain making her way towards them and immediately scowls, hastily stuffing her shoelaces into her soccer boots before standing up defensively in front of her team.

"what do you want, bae?" 

"easy there, tiger," the corner of bae joohyun's lips lift slightly. "i'm just here to congratulate you in advance."

seungwan's gaze softens a little. that was... unexpected, considering how both girl's teams have always been head-to-head with each other for the title of champion in every single soccer match since the beginning of time, considering how competitive bae joohyun has always been, even when she wasn't captain...

"congratulate you on your spectacular history-making capital F for Failure, i mean. sorry i didn't finish my sentence in time, i was too distracted by the foul stench of loser-ism that's wafting through the air." joohyun pauses to sniff around, before grimacing and pinching her nose. "oh ew, oops i'm sorry, i think it's coming from your team."

seungwan gets momentarily distracted by how sharp and pretty joohyun's nose is, before she realises the rage building up inside of her and storms up to her rival until they're inches apart. "why you--"

joohyun giggles a little before smiling sweetly. "good luck on the field."

seungwan pauses and looks into joohyun's doe-like eyes, feeling her rage dissipate. "oh um thanks--"

the characteristic smirk appears instantly before she raises her voice slightly to address the whole of seungwan's team. "because you guys will need the luck, losers."

seungwan groans, feeling her rage return, this time twofold, as she watches joohyun sashaying across the field with those stupid, y hips and that stupid, y smirk on her perfect face sculptured by the heavens themselves. seungwan hates joohyun and she is determined to crush the arrogant girl on the field.

 

--

 

"foul! foul!" joohyun collapses on the field with a thud, shouting and pointing at innocent seungwan who had finally managed to get hold of the ball.

the referee immediately blows the whistle and dashes to assess the situation.

seungwan sighs and glares at joohyun before explaining, "look, i didn't even touch her. she fell on her own accord, please trust me--"

"YA! we all saw that you pushed our captain, don't be such a ," sooyoung towers over seungwan and looks disdainfully at her.

"yeah of course you would say that, you guys are on the same team! i've had enough of your bullying and lack of sportsmanship. you guys--"

"hey it's all right, i probably tripped over my own foot. it's nothing serious, let's carry on with the game," joohyun finally speaks up, looking into seungwan's tear-filled eyes. 

sooyoung scoffs and deliberately slams her shoulder into seungwan's as she walks off. "yeah i can't wait to beat them fair and square, unlike them, resorting to dirty tricks then talking about 'sportsmanship'."

seungwan almost risks it all, fists clenched ready to sprint forward land a punch on sooyoung, when a warm hand envelopes her own. "don't, it's not worth it."

seungwan remains rooted in her spot but the way her heart is racing makes it feel like she's at a 100m sprint at the olympics. seungwan hates joohyun and she is determined to find out what on earth was joohyun's matter with her-- playing it cold then suddenly being all warm and nice.

 

--

 

it's half-time and both teams are tied at 2-2. seungwan's team is discussing new strategies for the next half of the game, when she notices joohyun running over with a bottle of water. she quickly excuses herself from the discussion and glares defiantly at the girl. 

"look if you're here to cause more trouble and dampen our spirits or whatever, i'm telling you nicely now to please--"

"no, um, i'm sorry about just now. i was confused by the situation, i genuinely thought you had pushed me," joohyun hands over the bottle of water.

seungwan clutches the back of her neck as she accepts the bottle. it was strange really, for a freezing ice cold bottle of water to elicit such a warm feeling from within, rising to fill her cheeks. "no worries, i guess it was chaotic just now."

"i apologise on behalf of sooyoung too. she's just, hm, how should i say this? really protective? of me."

"o-oh," seungwan feels her heart drop. "you guys are... together?"

joohyun blinks. "yeah...... i mean, we play for the same team after all?"

seungwan bites her lip. "oh. cool. um hey, thanks for telling the referee the truth, i could've gotten a yellow card, or worse still, a red card. i owe you one. thanks for the drink and for the apology. that was nice of you. i gotta go, i think seulgi's calling. you should go, too, back to sooyoung. i mean, the rest of your team too. all the best for the next half. may the best team win." 

seungwan jogs off awkwardly, mentally chiding herself as her team is chanting their cheer. all she hears is, "stupid seungwan, stupid seungwan, stupid seungwan!!" seungwan hates joohyun but she what she hates even more is the undeniable attraction she feels towards the girl, and the disappointment at knowing that she's taken. 

 

--

 

seungwan hovers around sooyoung, eyes fixated on the incoming ball that seemed to be coming their way.

"you know, if you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter