Smoothies and Walks

Pinky Promise

Smoothies and Walks


Mina handed Chaeyoung the strawberry smoothie she bought. Chaeyoung happily took it, split open in a wide smile, and her body bouncing giddily. Mina couldn’t help but smile at Chaeyoung taking a big sip and complaining of a brain freeze afterwards.

Chaeyoung started to lead the way. Mina was a bit nervous. What if the neighborhood Chaeyoung lives in is dangerous? What it it’s one of those dark parts of town? Mina was left to her thoughts while Chaeyoung was enjoying her smoothie.

“Minari, why are you quiet?” Chaeyoung asked after she threw the empty plastic cup away at a nearby trash bin.

“I’ve always been quiet.” Mina said as they started to walk again.

“Are we really just gonna walk? How about we play 20 questions?” Chaeyoung asked, tucking her hands inside the pockets of her leather jacket. “Sure. I’ll go first.” Mina said.

“What’s with the leather jacket? Are you trying to make yourself look cool? Or maybe you’re always cold?”

Chaeyoung chuckled at Mina’s haste. “One question at a time.” Mina huffed at her answer. “Fine. What’s with the leather jacket?”

Chaeyoung stopped walking, making Mina stop as well. Chaeyoung looked up and smiled. It wasn’t her usual bright smile. It was sad, as if she remembers something.

“This was my father’s favorite jacket. He only ever used it when he went out with my mom. I always admired how cool he was with it and I always asked him if I could wear it too. He told me he’d give it to me when he doesn’t need it anymore.”

Mina listened carefully to every word. Chaeyoung’s side profile became soft but mature as the light accentuated her features. She noticed a sudden shift in Chaeyoung’s eyes.

“This was the only thing that helped me cope up with their death.”

There was a moment of silence. Mina continued staring at Chaeyoung who smiled at the gray sky above them. The shorter girl then started to walk again, Mina trailing beside her.

They arrived at a small house surrounded by a wooden gate. It seemed to be in good condition. The neighborhood, as Mina noticed throughout their silent walk, was serene. Again, it hadn’t been what she had expected. Chaeyoung grabbed keys from her pocket and opened the lock to the gate. “Wanna come in?”

Mina meekly nodded. Chaeyoung opened the gate wider for her. Mina looked around again. The lawn was trimmed, there were different plants and flowers adorning the yard. There was a decent sized patch of strawberries being grown. Did she do this by herself?, Mina wondered as she took in her surroundings. They finally got inside the house. For a teenager who lived alone, Chaeyoung has maintained everything quite well.

“Make yourself at home. I’ll make us tea.” Chaeyoung said and disappeared into the kitchen.

Mina placed her bag on the couch. The picture frames that were on top of a shelf caught her attention. Her fingers slowly glided over a picture of three: a man, a woman, and a little girl. This must be their family picture. She looked over at the other pictures. There was a lot. There was a picture of Chaeyoung on a bike with her father helping her. There was a picture of Chaeyoung winning first place with a painting. Mina had to take a step back because she was feeling... sad and overwhelmed. It felt like she was intruding, but she can’t help but intrude. She was fascinated to know more about the rebellious girl in a leather jacket.

“Minari, tea is ready!” Chaeyoung called out from the kitchen.

Chaeyoung suggested that they drink on the porch outside. They continued playing 20 questions and Mina made sure to ask appropriately.

“Do you have a pet?”

“Yep! I have a dog and her name is Luna.” Chaeyoung said with so much enthusiasm. “Wanna see her?” Mina didn’t even have the chance to answer because Chaeyoung already ran towards the back side of the house. 'She’s so cute', Mina thought.

They continued their game with Luna joining them. It was almost dark out when Mina decided that she should go home.

“I can walk you to the main road, if you want.” Chaeyoung offered. Mina just gave her a smile as she adjusted her bag. “I’ll be fine. Thanks for the tea.” Mina said as she opened the gate. “Bye.”

Mina was a few steps away from the gate when Chaeyoung spoke. “You’ll come back tomorrow, right?” Mina halted. She could feel the vulnerability in Chaeyoung’s voice. It made her want to wrap Chaeyoung in a warm blanket, make her hot choco, read her stories, and put her to sleep. Mina turned around and smiled.

“I’ll come back every day.”