Expectations and Promises

Pinky Promise

Expectations and Promises


It was another busy day at school. Mina just came back from an emergency meeting from the student body. Ms Lee gathered everyone on short notice because of an underlying problem that they didn't deal with immediately. And the solution they came up with is to force the school's resident cool kid/rebel to sit beside her.

She disagreed at first but hearing that this so called rebel was causing so much trouble, she had to do it. She hates when rules aren't followed because she believes that they maintain peace and order within a community.

Mina was on her seat waiting patiently for the class to start. She had her notebook open in front of her. She decided to pass time by rereading her notes yesterday.

Students started filling the classroom as the minutes passed. She looked at everyone who was coming in, nodding her head after seeing that they had all worn their uniforms. Shortly after, their literature professor came in.

Mina's eyes did a scan on the entire room. Everyone seems to be here, until her eyes reached the seat to her right. She rolled her eyes and sighed. Of course that rebel would be late. Or maybe she wouldn't even come to class.

"Today's topic is all about the origin of prose." The voice of their professor brought her out of her thoughts. She decided to just focus in class and deal with her supposed seat-mate later.

They were fifteen minutes into the lecture when the door opened. All eyes went to the cause of disturbance. Mina looked over as well. There stood a girl with light blonde hair, sporting a black leather jacket. The girl's eyes scanned over the room. She gave the professor a smile and bowed a bit before walking towards the only empty seat in class. The professor just proceeded with the discussion, knowing well of how this girl behaves in class.

Mina stared at the figure moving towards her. She was short and petite but her aura gave off that troublemaker vibe. The figure stopped in front of her. The girl had her hands inside the pocket of her leather jacket. Mina didn't notice that she was staring until the girl cleared . 

"So you're the student body president I'm supposed to sit with in all my classes?" The girl's voice was little, a bit hoarse, but it wasn't intimidating at all.

"Yes I am." Mina said. She wasn't the type to prolong small talk, especially in class, so she diverted her attention back to the lecture. 

"And you think I would agree to that?" The girl took a step to the right, blocking Mina's view of the professor and the entire white board.

"Yes because why not?" Mina glared at her. She can tolerate a lot of things but not when someone interrupts lectures.

"Why would I?" The girl challenged, her brows raised and a smirk playing on her lips.

Mina was irritated. She doesn't want to miss any detail in the lecture and here she is having an argument with a girl she doesn’t even know. “Can we just talk later? I really don’t want to miss out on the lecture.”

“Sure princess.”

The girl finally sat on the empty seat and Mina sighed in relief. Everything was going well until she could see the girl beside her extend her hand.

“Son Chaeyoung.”

Mina wanted to slap the hand away so bad but that wouldn’t help her either. So she took the hand and gently shook it. ‘Soft’, she thought.

“Myoui Mina.”

Lecture went by easily and students were piling out of the classroom. Mina expected Chaeyoung to disappear after lecture ends but the girl was patiently waiting for her to finish putting away her things.

“I’ll agree to sit with you under one condition. You’ll treat me to a strawberry smoothie after class and walk me home every day.”

Mina pursed her lips. Why would she agree to this? Oh right she has to. “Technically that’s two conditions, but sure. If that’s what it takes.”

Chaeyoung emanated a bright cheeky smile, exposing her deep dimples. Mina had to contain her smile. ‘Adorable’, she thought.

Chaeyoung extended her arm towards Mina with her pinky out. “Pinky promise?”

Mina couldn’t help but laugh. She didn’t expect the school’s rebel to do pinky promises. “You’re such a kid. I can’t believe everyone thinks you’re a badass.” Chaeyoung just grinned at her and practically hopped off her seat.

“Guess I’ll see you later?” Mina said as she made her way towards the door. Chaeyoung tilted her head. “Since Ms Lee made you sit with me in every class, shouldn’t we be having the same class?” A smirk was playing on the edge of her lips.

“I–, yeah.” was all Mina could muster. Chaeyoung made her way past Mina, the scent of strawberries and vanilla invading her senses.

“Let’s go then.” Chaeyoung said as she grabbed Mina by the wrist, dragging her out of the room with a bright smile on her face.

She expected this rebel to be someone intimidating, harsh, and stubborn. But it doesn’t seem to be the case. Chaeyoung is far from what she had expected. She was what people would call ‘smol’. Her figure is short and petite. Her features were soft and feminine. Her light blonde hair made her look like a soft baby. The mole under her lip added charm to her features. Her hands were soft. She had expected her to have piercings or tattoos but so far she hasn’t seen any. She doesn’t understand why Chaeyoung would be a problem.

Who exactly are you, Son Chaeyoung?