CHAPTER 44 - Oathtaking Ceremony & Graduation Rites

Two of a Kind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IRENE's POV

This is it! Pancit! Today is a big day for me. Maaga akong inihatid ni Seulgi sa UST for our baccalaureate mass then proceed na sa oathtaking and graduation.

.

"Bubu, dito na lang ako baba.."

"Huh? Why? Malayo layo pa lalakarin mo niyan, Hyun oh?"

"Nah, its okay. I want to walk and reminisce since maaga pa naman ako ng 30 mins."

"Oh, okay okay?"

 

"Thank you, bubu!" sabay kiss sa lips niya. "No worries, misis ko! I'll be back before your oathtaking ceremony, okay?"

 

 

May gagawin pa kasi si Seulgi ngayong umaga sa office niya. But then she promised me na babalik siya agad before ng oathtaking ceremony. Makulit eh sabi ko hindi naman siya makakapasok doon at sa grad rites na siya makakapasok sa loob. Okay lang daw.

 

 

Anyways, 

Nagpababa ako kay Seulgi dito sa may main gate lang.

 

 

I started to walk and starts reminiscing...

 

 

I entered the Espana gate and passed thru the Arch of the Century. The Arch is one of the National Cultural Treasure of the Philippines* along with three other more landmarks inside the campus. The arch was originally build in the main entrance of the formerly Intramuros Campus of UST. 

 

During the Second World War the university was almost pulverized thus the need to relocate the whole campus. The Dominicans brought the big chunk of stone and placed it in the Sampaloc Gate of the new University. 


That street inside the campus adjacent to Espana Blvd is called Intramuros Drive. 


 

The front of the arch is the replica of the original piece which can be found on its back.


 

There is a myth that one must not pass through the arch of the century while he is still in the university studying. Unless he does so, he will not graduate. If you will ask me if I passed through when I was still studying, yes I did it several times and I graduated on time. The myth might be true to you so better not pass through it until you are a candidate for graduation. It’s just for fun anyway. 


 

 

One must not miss the Thomasian Freshmen Walk where the seniors will tour you around the University and will impart that Thomasian pride in which you will forever cherish. 


 

After passing through the arch of the century and walked on the manicured Plaza de Benevidez we settled in front of the Main Building or the Plaza Mayor for the formal program of the Thomasian Freshman Walk. 


 

There we were making roar for our respective colleges. It was there where we learned the best ever cheer of the UAAP - yeah I mean that. Dr. Cabral - everybody's favorite economics professor - taught us to say "GO USTE, GO USTE" with pure love and passion for our beloved university. 


 

 

Every university has its own "school yabang" I heard so much of it when I was on high school but the one that takes a real hit was the one that our senior tour guide told us. He said that failing students goes to the statues of Thomas Aquinas during midterms and final exam to pray. 


 

 

According to him Thomas Aquinas has one answer; with his right hands pointing to the west side of the university, "There's ____ and ____,  you can transfer" (I intentionally didn't say the university he stated)

 

I remember my days in the Main Library not just studying medical books and terms but reading journals and newspapers. The Main Library was like my room and UST was my home. 

 

 

I like to hang out not because it was a cozy place to stay nor it has air conditioning, even before I love reading books and I like being surrounded by books. 

 


The cafe at the lobby was my starbucks and I felt like I own the place. I think before I memorized what's in each floor of the 6 storey library. 

 

 

The Med building named St. Martin de Porres Building which has many departments.

 

 

Our lab is my fave enemy here in our department. And my office here is my fave room.

 

I've been here for years and ganun na ganun pa din yung feels ko sa buong univ.


 

 

 

"Besh! Irene!"

Nagulat ako, si Solar pala sakto tapos na akong magikot at mag-reminisce dito. 

"Yessy?" tanong ko, sabay beso sa kanya, 

 

 

"Kanina ka pa dito? Kaka-drop off lang sakin ni Byul dito, may meeting daw siya eh sabay daw siya bumalik with Seul."

"Ahh. Oo nga daw. Para yun sa US franchisee daw nila eh."

 

"Kaya nga eh. Mga baliw sabi ko pa hindi naman sila makaka-pasok doon later."

 

"I know right. Hayaan mo na sila. *laughs*"

 

"Yea, tara na. Baka magstart na din sila doon."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An hour after the mass. 


 

 

 

 

 

Nagprepare na ang lahat for Oathtaking ceremony at nasa labas sila Seulgi at Byul. Inaantay kami ni Solar.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"HIPPOCRATIC OATH
I swea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter