The night we met

Dear Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My eyes darted from one side to the other, finding the same blackness everywhere. I tried to place myself, remembering the offices, but I greatly doubted that everything was the same after the disaster. The only thing left were bricks upon bricks.

 

Trapped beneath the building's ruins, in the dark, feeling confused and lost, I would've been scared to death if it wasn't for Sana. Her soft voice, sweet and warm had come to me at the perfect moment, soothing my anxiety.

 

That girl had given me her lap as a pillow and her good hand was absently my head. It was a loving and pleasant gesture. I didn't know why she was doing it. Maybe she was a mother and the gesture seemed natural to her, a habit. Perhaps she was simply confusing me with her dog. Or maybe, Sana was just as scared as me, and taking care of me was her way of fighting her own fears. Most humans tend to be braver when in the company of someone else. Maybe she needed me just as much as I needed her. Either way, I liked her touch. I closed my eyes and enjoyed it as much as the situation allowed me to.

 

Sana didn't talk much. I don't think she mistrusted me, it was just her nature. Besides, what could we possibly talk about in this kind of situation? The weather?

 

Usually, I liked to talk, but right now I preferred it this way. Part of the reason was that annoying and loud headache, which seemed to be worsening by the minute; I had trouble concentrating and the nausea would hit me from time to time. The other reason, I'm still trying to understand. I liked the serenity that emanated from Sana's silence, shy but attentive.

 

I took a deep breath and slowly let it out in a sigh. I didn't ask her if she knew what had happened, what had been that overwhelming explosion. I knew she was just as lost as me about it. She didn't ask either.

 

"Mina," Sana suddenly said, waking me from the sleepy trance I was falling into. "You're hurt," she said alarmed, touching my forehead with her fingers. I had to concentrate to feel through her touch, the edges of a bleeding wound. With all the filth around us and clinging to us, I hadn't realized that, in fact, half of my face and hair was soaked in a warm and sticky stuff. No wonder my head ached so much. It didn't take long for Sana to start pressing a piece of cloth over the wound.

 

"Relax, you'll be fine. I'm sure the rescue teams are about to get here." She said as if reading a movie script. Honestly, I wasn't very concerned about my state, so I was strangely calm, I didn't think it was something worth worrying about. My consciousness came and went as if I had taken too many drinks, but I was more or less fine. I wasn't entirely sure about the rescue team co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter