Like an angel from heaven

Dear Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If you knew in advance upon waking up, that that day would be your last, what would you do?

If you knew your destiny, would you try to change it? Would you make the most out of it until the end or would you wait resignedly for it to come and take you away? Would you say goodbye to your loved ones with a smile or in tears? Would you leave loosed ends, unfulfilled dreams? You really shouldn't. Live each day as if it were your last, because nothing is certain and you might not be here tomorrow, no one knows in advance the day they are to leave this world.

-

I learned my lesson the hard way, I didn't have the opportunity to fix my mistakes or say goodbye. In a single moment, my whole life changed.

That whole series of great events started along with my feelings for a stranger, with the power of a tiny and harmless spark.

~0~

In the silence of my empty office, my yawn sounded like the ghost's moan. I ordered some papers and picked up a couple of books wearily leaving them on my desk. I was finally done. My body was on autopilot, I was about to get my coat and purse, ready to go home, when it happened.

A thunderous explosion blew up half of the office. Luckily for me, I was on the other half. The impact and along with a wave of rubble, which blew in every direction, made be violently fall against a co-worker’s desk. A cry, mixture of surprise, fear and pain, escaped my lips, but it was muffled by the deafening sound of the collapsing building. With wide eyes, I was left lying on the floor of the office, which shook under by body.

Books and bricks, rubble, papers… all sorts of objects were falling around me and I was frozen, watching the show, stunned. I couldn't understand what was happening.

One of the office lights fell on my head. I groaned. The horrible pain caused by it almost made me lose consciousness, that's what finally made me react. I put my hands over my head and curled myself as small as possible, trying to be a more difficult target for the crazy rain of solid objects that were collapsing everywhere. Until then, I had always thought I was a brave girl, that I was prepared for anything, I would always see myself in the future, in that whole life ahead of me. But at that moment, I was afraid; the idea of dying terrified me. With fear, I watched that whole pandemonium, from the corner of my eye I saw the ceiling cracking. Before my astonished gaze, a huge piece broke off and gravity pulled it towards me, coming down mercilessly. I wrapped my arms tighter around myself in a vain attempt to protect from the impact. The only thing I remember afterwards is darkness.

~0~

A black veil covered everything. I didn't know where I was or who I was or why I was there. The first thing I remember as I regain consciousness is the peculiar color of a moonless night. The unanimous and profound silence. I opened my e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter