the resistance party

Where We Belong
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 4

the resistance party

 

Sometimes, when I shut my eyes in the dead of night, I see things.

 

I see flowers that I never thought existed, I see the sky in colours I never imagined possible. Pink, purple, orange — it’s incredible. I see mountains and valleys, rivers and waterfalls. It makes me feel so small, so tiny.

 

The world is huge. Wherever I look, it is endless. And I realise that the real world should not be hidden away by the Guild. We should all be able to see nature and every thing that is wild with our own eyes, what a privilege that would be.

 

What a dream.

 

 

I’m sitting in one of the outposts by the Miner’s Community, those small rectangular one storey buildings that are grey and boring and look completely out of place. A worker, noticeable by his white and grey uniform, asks my name, age, and my community affiliation, and then he considers letting me into the Worker’s Community.

 

I can see Chaeyoung through the window, standing outside, hands in her pockets, looking nervous. She smiles, but it doesn’t reach her eyes. Another worker with silky brown hair walks up to me and places a hand on my shoulder.

 

She eyes me closely, like I might jump up and bite her. With shaking hands, she gives me a card: a pass which will grant me access into the Workers Community. She tells me to enjoy my day in a voice that sounds rehearsed.

 

«I’d be surprised if they didn’t let you in this time.» Chaeyoung says once I’m outside. 

 

«Did you bribe them again?»

 

Chaeyoung shrugs, smirking. I notice that her face is still bruised and that her bottom lip is still cracked.

 

«You have to be careful, Chae.»

 

«I am! I swear!» She says, raising her hands in defence.

 

We decide to grab some food at a small establishment. When we walk inside, I’m immediately reminded of the bakery in the Miners Community, but this place smells even better, and it’s actually warm inside, and there aren’t any leaks in the roof. And the floor is polished wood, not wet and cracked stone that is so cold it makes my toes curl inside my boots.

 

We don’t have establishments meant to serve us in the Miners Community. We don’t have places where we can go to ‘have a good time’ (that’s how Chaeyoung always phrases it). We have a couple of shops, prayer houses, and some places where you can get a drink (if you can afford it), but those places are always trouble.

 

Chaeyoung pays for the food because she can afford it. She drags me out of the establishment, I stumble over the threshold, nearly falling. Chaeyoung pulls me down an alleyway that reeks of sewage and rotten moss. I struggle against her tight hold, then I ask where we’re going.

 

«We’re late!» She yells over her shoulder.

 

«Late for what?»

 

«The meeting!»

 

«Chaeyoung! Stop!» I say, grabbing her wrist, holding her tightly, to prove a point.

 

Chaeyoung swears and lets go of me.

 

«I keep forgetting that you’ve got strong hands and a good grip as well…» She says as she rubs her wrist.

 

«Where are we going? And where’s Tzuyu?»

 

The three of us are almost always together on Saturdays, I’m a bit disappointed to see that Chaeyoung hasn’t brought Tzuyu along as well.

 

«She couldn’t come.» Chaeyoung’s gaze falls to the ground, «house arrest.» She whispers.

 

«She was hurt pretty bad, Dahyun. I heard her family has filed a complaint to the delegate, Mr Hirai, and he’s going to talk to the Guild.»

 

«Good for them.» I say, knowing that most families wouldn’t say a word against the Guild.

 

«And… the meeting we’re going to is a Resistance Party meeting.» Chaeyoung says sheepishly, rubbing the back of her neck.

 

I’m about to swear at Chaeyoung, curse even, but she quickly reaches out to me, grabbing my shoulders, and actually manages to push me up against the wall.

 

«I know, I know! But I think it’s important that we go! They can change the system! They can get you and everyone else out of the mine! They can give everybody a better life! Don’t you want that?»

 

«What if it’s some sort of trap? What if the Guild are just baiting people who are against them? You know what happens to those people!»

 

«I do, I do, but that’s not the point right now.»

 

«Then what’s the point?»

 

«To change things, Dahyun.» Chaeyoung pleads. «The chance to change things for the better… and that can only happen if the Guild— »

 

«Don’t you dare finish that sentence, Chae. The walls have ears.» I warn her.

 

«Disappears.»

 

«Damn it, Chae!» I whisper harshly, pushing her away and running a hand through my hair. I look around to see if anyone else is in the alleyway, or if any of the windows above us are open.

 

«Just… come with me to the meeting, Dahyun. It would mean a lot to me.» Chaeyoung pleads.

 

«Fine.» I seethe through my teeth.

 

I would’ve gone anyway, out of curiosity, but if I ever let Chaeyoung have the satisfaction of being right about it, I wouldn’t be able to live it down. And I would be dragged around like some doll to different resistance meetings where they talk about things that could get us all killed or worse; sent to the underground chambers.

 

 

I follow Chaeyoung through the alleyway that seems like a never-ending maze of cobblestone walls. The ground is rocky, uneven and slippery. Chaeyoung trips a couple of times, looking cheekily up at me. I hold out my hand to help her stand.

 

We reach a building that looks like it’s about to fall apart. The windows on the outside are cracked, some even have bullet holes, and wooden planks have been placed over windows that have no glass. Muddy water has pooled right by the threshold, where the ground dips slightly. It reeks of something rotten and old, and I scrunch my nose.

 

Chaeyoung points, saying this is it, this is the house. She hops over the puddle of muddy water. Chaeyoung opens the door and holds out her hand for me to take. I’m suddenly having second thoughts. I’m hesitant about going inside for numerous reasons, the first one being; I’d rather not be in it when it collapses.

 

She looks at me with wide pleading eyes, shaking her hand, gesturing for me to take it. And I reckon I trust Chaeyoung more than I trust this house, because I grab her hand and hop over the puddle of muddy water and step over the threshold.

 

We walk through several corridors where the dark green wallpaper is torn, paintings and pictures are askew, and the floor creaks with every step we take. We reach a door, hearing raised voices on the other side.

 

Chaeyoung, always being the more courageous one, pushes the door open, and we realise that we’ve arrived in the middle of a meeting. Some people turn to stare at us, giving us a funny look, but then they turn back to the speaker, who is standing on a small stage. She’s loud, her voice travels across the room, and the audience nod their heads, agreeing with what she has to say.

 

The speaker is quite short, her hair cut right above her shoulders. I notice that she’s dressed in fine clothes, light blue slacks and a white shirt, perhaps it is made from silk.

 

Only the finest quality for the finest people, as the Guild quite often say.

 

She talks about the communities and the injustice that most of us face on a daily basis. I feel myself agreeing with her, and I want to because she is right about most things, but I cannot.

 

She is a part of the Resistance Party and I can’t like them, can’t be seen as one of them because I know what happens to those people. A miner trying to affiliate with the Elites is the fastest road to death. And I can’t die, not now, not when two of the most important people in my life depend on me.

 

«Wow. That was a great speech.» Chaeyoung says as she approaches the speaker, who is downing a bottle of water.

 

I’m right behind them, lowering my gaze to the dusty wooden floor, feeling a bit out of place. Then I turn my gaze up, seeing that there are several balconies above us, with people staring down at us. Most of them look like Workers and Washers.

 

«Thank you! Are you new here?»

 

«Yes. I’m Son Chaeyoung. And this is— »

 

«Kim Dahyun.» The speaker says my name, and my head turns to meet her intimidating gaze.

 

«You resemble your brother.» She says.

Please log in to read the full chapter