Chapter 1

Here We Are
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Donghae and Hyukjae sat huddled behind a pile of boxes as they waited for a group of decomposing zombies to shuffle by. Hyukjae had a look of absolute boredom on his face and only gave the horde a passing glance before pulling an apple from his pocket and taking a huge bite. Donghae's reaction was the complete opposite. He watched the zombies with curiosity and fascination.

In truth, there were no zombies, just a film crew, a handful of managers, and some stylists on hand in case one of the two actors needed a touch up.

“Look!” Donghae tugged on Hyukjae's sleeve as a few zombies lumbered through the shot, then pointed to a pair of zombies dressed in matching sneakers and hoodies. “Couple zombies!”

Hyukjae just rolled his eyes and went back to eating his apple.

“I can’t believe I’m jealous of zombies… Eunhyuk, will you teach me how to flirt?”  Somewhere in the back of his mind Donghae heard the phantom screams of their fangirls and fanboys. He wanted to grin, but he was a professional, and managed to stay in character.

Hyukjae arched an eyebrow, finally interested in something besides his apple. “Like kissing?”

“I said flirting, not kissing! Forget it, you probably don’t know anyway.”

“I know that flirting leads to kissing.” He looked at the brunet from the corner of his eye and smirked. Hyukjae loved his character’s cocky nature; he felt it suited him well and made his acting that much more natural. “Isn’t that what you really want?”

“I just want to learn how to flirt so I can wear couples clothes and stuff,” Donghae mumbled.

Hyukjae tilted Donghae's chin up so that the brunet was forced to meet his provocative gaze and then he ran the pad of his thumb teasingly over Donghae’s bottom lip. “Are you sure, Aiden?  I'm a great kisser.”  Hyukjae couldn’t wait to see the reaction to this scene on social media after the episode aired. 

Donghae slapped Hyukjae's hand away with just the right combination of awkwardness and annoyance. Aiden wasn't originally created to be such a wimpy character, but to accommodate Donghae's full schedule, the writers had made him meek as an excuse to reduce the number of action scenes he'd have to shoot. “Forget it.”

“Don't pout, I'm only teasing you.” Hyukjae dropped his hand, but let his eyes linger over Donghae's lips for a moment. “It helps if I know who you want to flirt with though.”

Shyness forgotten, Donghae's face lit up and he waved Hyukjae closer while buzzing with excitement. Hyukjae scooted closer until his thigh was pressed up to Donghae’s and the brunet put his lips up to his friend's ear. “It’s a secret,” he said in a stage whisper, then he playfully nipped at Hyukjae's ear, causing him to yelp in surprise.

That wasn't in the script! The director didn’t call for a cut, so Hyukjae was forced to make a quick improvisation to get them back on track. “Now you've done it,” he chided while pointing over Donghae’s shoulder.  “You got their attention.”

Donghae glanced over his shoulder and grimaced at the imaginary sight of zombies shambling towards their hiding spot.

“I’ll teach you how to flirt after we take care of these jerks.” Hyukjae pointed towards his manager, who was watching the scene from behind the camera crew, and the frumpy man glared at him. He laughed, and on camera it made his character seem a bit blood-thirsty, but thankfully that was also a part of Eunhyuk’s personality. Donghae picked up his rifle and the two actors walked towards the main camera purposefully, while it panned over to make the scene more dramatic.

 

“Cut! Donghae, Hyukjae, that was great. Take a quick break while we set up the next scene. Where are my stunt zombies?!”  A couple of extras ran towards the director in a very non-zombielike fashion while the director barked out more orders around the set.

“Ugh, I hate action scenes,” Donghae muttered as he looked around for an assistant to take his prop gun.

“Liar. I’ve seen you in plenty of action scenes.” Hyukjae elbowed Donghae in the ribs suggestively and the brunet actor, famous for his romantic roles, and his bedroom scenes, blushed furiously. “This flirting scene is only a beginning…  If the ship between our characters becomes any more popular, the writers might just give us an action scene to film too.”

Feeling scandalized from his head to his toes, Donghae abandoned the rifle on the nearest horizontal surface and fled for the safety of the craft service table. Unfortunately, Hyukjae followed right behind him.

“Don’t you want to film a real action scene with me?” Hyukjae cooed. Although Donghae was an actual Hallyu star and Hyukjae had only just recently become more than a glorified stuntman, he couldn’t help but tease the brunet as if they were equals in the industry. Just as their onscreen friendship had blossomed, they had become good friends offscreen as well.  “Our fans would love it too.”

“For a stunt actor,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter