Have you ever seen anything? - Orange

Rainbow Above Your Head

Chaewon has already seen a lot of things in her life but she did not expect herself to see colors on a random person. That happened when she was eating her lunch at Produce 48's cafeteria back in May 2018.

 

She was eating rice with chicken curry when a Japanese girl asked a permission to sit beside her and she just nodded at her. The girl is none other than Honda Hitomi, AKB48 Japanese Idol.

 

Hitomi made some noises when she was eating her food that made Chaewon was very curious and looked to her right only to almost choke on her chicken curry when she saw the color.

 

Like Hitomi too, she did not reveal her secret to anyone.

 

For her, it's just like a passive magic. Not that much useful in life and she never had a thought of the colors being soulmate or anything because, she never stumbled upon things like that in her life.

 

Today was the another day she was curious of what her color will be so she finished her dance practice earlier and went to find her.

 

Chaewon found her at the kitchen's dorm where she and Yena were eating one type of fruit.

 

She watched her mild orange color above her head and laughed inside when she saw her reaction.

 

She composed herself and went up to them.

 

"Why're you eating those - kumquat?"

 

"It's because of Yena-unnie. She challenged me if I manage to eat 10 in three minutes, I can get a free cheese corndog." She stated as her nose wrinkled.

 

"Really?"

 

"Why're you eating it raw? It's bitter - and kind of sweet, right?" She finally laughed out loud.

 

"To make it more challenging, of course," Yena said.

 

Chaewon took one and observed it. It had been a long time since she ate the certain fruit and plopped it into .

 

"Damn, it still tastes the same." Her face wrinkled.

 

"How would the taste be when you peel them?" Hitomi asked.

 

"It's definitely sour." The ginger answered.

 

"Jinjja-yo? Then, let's eat them peeled... keunyang for you, Hitomi." Yena took a knife and sliced them into two halves.

 

The Japanese girl protested, "How dare you change the rule, Yena-unnie?!" She hit the table with her hands and her face was fuming in dissatisfaction. She does not like it when the rule does not apply the same for her.

 

Chaewon switched her eyes from Hitomi to Yena to Hitomi back and watched her undying mild orange color.

 

She then took a sit beside the Korean girl and was shocked to see two boxes of kumquat fruit below the table. She thought for a few minutes about what to do with the fruit and an idea came into her mind.

 

She fished out her phone and typed a few words on the search box.

 

She scrolled down through the browser's page and found the recipe.

 

She prepared two pots, one for boiling water and one for the sugar.

 

Hitomi and Yena watched her curiously.

 

"What're you making, Chaewon-unnie?"

 

"I'm making Caramel Kumquat Candies. It's really crunchy and sweet." 

 

She opened the food shelf and took every things needed.

 

  • White normal sugar
  • Corn syrup and lemon juice
  • Lollipop sticks or skewer sticks
  • 36 Kumquats (3 fruits per stick)

 

She wore the apron and the stove.

 

  1. She started to boil kumquats in water for two minutes and let the sugar be caramelized on the other pot under a low heat.
  2. She scooped out the kumquats from the pot and put them inside two big bowls. After that, she stirred the white sugar consistently.
  3. It's her first time making caramel from sugar, so she has a doubt that she'll succeed on it but, she kept stirring the sugar until she saw the sugar liquid waa forming on the edge of the pot.
  4. Seeing the brown liquid formed, she knew she had succeeded and continued to put the sugar in until it dissolved. She stirred the sugar in a circle motion with a wooden spoon - it's just like making a sugary water, but if you're putting water, beware of your hands because of the sprinkling hot caramelized.
  5. She monitored it a few minutes more until it became fully liquid and turned off the stove.

 

"Give me the bowl, Yena-unnie." She ordered the older girl who was taking and hugging the certain bowl before Hitomi snatched it and gave it to her back.

 

She poured the brown liquid in and let the hot caramel mixture cool down at a point where it was ready to be mixed with the apples.

 

She pierced the wooden stick into the center of the fruit and placed three kumquats on each stick. After she finished making twelve sticks kumquats with the help of Hitomi and Yena of course, she poured the caramel over them. She had to make it quick before the caramel hardened.

 

Then, she refrigerated it for 15 minutes and continued eating the raw kumquats with them. It seemed like Hitomi managed to eat 10 kumquats within three minutes and Yena just watched her funny reaction and laughed loudly.

 

"OMG. You did it just for a cheese corndog, Hitomi!" Yena laughed hysterically and Hitomi just folded her arms watching her unnie with a sigh.

 

Chaewon put her hand on her lap and, "You know I always can buy it for you, Hii-chan." 

 

"Yeah, thanks, unnie."

 

Her cheeks tinted with pink blush.

 

"Buzz. Buzz." Her phone's alarm went off and Chaewon immediately got up.

 

"It's done~" the ginger said as she took out the candy kumquats from the refrigerator.

 

"Taste it." She handed one to Hitomi and she ate one too. It was her favorite snack when she went to a summer carnival with her family.

 

Hitomi took a bite and squealed. Chaewon looked up and watched her now golden orange-ish color.

 

"Hontoni amai~" she stated and Yena took a bite too. "I feel like my teeth are being crushed by a metal scrap machine."

 

The ginger just gave a look to her and took another bite on her kumquat candy.

 

She looked at the time and it was almost 5:00 p.m. now. The others members probably were still practicing on dance or vocals, maybe even sleeping, not that she knew what they were up to. It was practically one of their day off on that day.

 

She needed some excuses to take Hitomi away from Yena. Apparently, the girl cannot stop eating the sour, bitter, and sweet fruit with the older girl.

 

She took her hand and Hitomi shifted her eyes to her, "Hmm, wanna accompany me to a market today?"

 

"Wae?"

 

"I want to buy some fruits."

 

"Raspberry, blueberry, melon, grapefruit, pineapple, green apple, pomegranate and a coconut." She added.

 

"What, so many... Aren't they expensive...?"

 

"Ahhh, let's just pay with the company card."

 

She got up and put on her cardigan. Hitomi trailed close behind her. Her face was still confused. "What's up with her now?" Well, after sometime, she shrugged off and followed her without any complaint.

 

As for Chaewon, she cannot wait to see her color changes again.