Kitchen Dancer

Sunshine Dancer

You couldnt even remember a time without Hobi in your life. He had always been there right by your side. Your sunshine. Your hope. You had known each other since first grade, you think. Sitting next to each other in the first row, by the window. Spending just as much time laughing as you did learning, if not more. Sometimes a nuisance to the teachers, but always an entertainment for yourselves. How happy you were when both of you discovered your passion for dancing. You had been unstoppable.

And then high school was over. He got into the dance academy he had dreamt of, you had decided on a more realistic path and decided to start working instead of going to university. So you took over some of the work in your family’s bookstore, a calm and lovely job. Just unfortunately far away from Hobi’s new life as star student of the dance academy.

You see each other every now and then. You originally planned to meet every week, but his school is hard. And your work takes up time. So it turned more into trying to meet every month. You lived like this for two years. Missing your sunshine every day, trying to occupy yourself with work, dancing in your free time. He told you he felt the same. Lonely but trying to concentrate on his dance. On what he loves.

Two years after High school you decide to move. You’ve had your entry into the work life, you have experience and you need to see at least some more of the world. As soon as you tell Hobi he is inviting you to move in with him for the time being. “Just until you can find and afford your own place.” he says. So you go, you move, to a new town, unfamiliar except for the familiarity of your best friend.

It doesnt take long for you to get into a rythm together. You work during the days, he goes to school during the days. If he has a show, you show up. Youre his loudest supporter and he is always proud to have you in his corner. Every weekend you go out, and you dance. Be it at a normal club or at one of his dance friends’ parties. You never lost your passion for dance, you just shoved it in the background.

But on those nights, you two light up the room. Both of you are amazing dancers, Hobi polished in the technique from the academy but this isnt ballet, its not rules. Just dancing. And the energy of the two of you together is astounding.

As you wake up one morning, the sun shining in your face through a gap in the curtains, you hear music  from the kitchen. You smile, checking the time and trying to get yourself to actually leave the comfort of your bed. You have two hours before work, so you decide to get up. After getting into something more presentable than your pajamas you trot into the kitchen while putting your hair up into a bun, trying to calm the wild mess of  bedhead.

“Ah, finally! You also deign to grace me with your presence, princess.” He smiles widely, and illuminated by the sun through the window, you’re reminded of why your family still calls him “your sunshine”.

“It’s 8am, so you can shut right up. I am awake at a normal people time, you know? Since I dont go to 5am practise I get to enjoy my life.” you shoot back, noting his damp hair and the fact that he’s only wearing pajama pants, his usual post-practise look. You sit down at the kitchen table with some tea, trying to wake up. Behind you, you hear him hum and dance along to the music playing from the speakers.

You suddenly feel hands on your neck, slowly massaging it. As you set down your mug, you cant help but let out a soft moan, you hadnt realized how stiff your neck was. You lean into the touch. Somehow dancers know how to massage Anything. Your eyes closed, your mouth hanging slightly open, you enjoy his massage for a few minutes until he suddenly stops. As you turn to voice your complaint you see Hobi grin at you. “I didnt realize you would make those sounds for me, sleepyhead.” Your eyes widen in shock as you try to reach to slap him. But he already wizzes back into the kitchen and into the safety of whatever he was fixing before. He laughs at your reactions but doesnt say anything more. So you decide to leave it at that aswell. You continue your tea an try to shut the thoughts about his little comment out of your head.

On your way to refill your tea, Hoseok pulls you into an inpromptu waltz in the kitchen. Caught off guard, you step on his foot and he yelps in pain. “What happened? Did you forget everything we learned? Please dont break me.” he says, already over the “pain” as he gives up on the dancing and instead turns to refill your tea for you. You just roll your eyes at him, laughing at his acted agony and turn to take some breakfast, now that youve managed to wake up properly. Only to find an outstretched hand with a plate laden full of your favourite breakfast. So thats what he had been working on in the kitchen.

“Uh, Thank you, Hobi. But… why? What occasion deserves this lovely treatment by my favourite man?”

He laughs: “I am glad to hear that I am your favourite man. And thats the occasion as well, I guess. I just thought I would use the time I had while you were being lazy.. To show you that I appreciate you. My favourite woman.” A small pause and a small chuckle. He continues: “I am happy to have you in my life again, properly now. I am glad you moved in here and that we spend so much time together now. I wouldnt want it any other way. So dont worry if you cant find a place any time soon, you can stay here as long as necessary.”

His smile softens, and you cant help but return it. Setting down both the plate and the mug on any surface closest to you, you almost jump into his arms. You have only lived together for two months but you cant imagine your life any other way. This is perfect. So you hug him tightly and smile into his chest.