Kitchen Dancer 2.0

Sunshine Dancer

 

The next morning you wake up even before your alarm, the sun shining straight in your eyes, almost blinding at 7am. You groan, already too awake to fall back asleep. After a few minutes of trying to find a way to lie in bed without having the sun in your eyes you just sit up, your phone in your hand. There’s only a few notifications, but one catches your eye: “You have a new Match!” from tinder… Opening the app you see a message too. The match is… Hoseok. And he already sent you a message: “See you at my place, Gorgeous ;)” and a gif of two people dancing together seductively.

You just roll your eyes. Why is he always joking around like this? The girlfriend nicknames you’re used to by now, but that text isn’t even nice from your best friend.

You decide to get up and have some tea, there’s no chance of going back to sleep anyways.

Dressed in nothing but a long dress shirt you find some music to put on the speakers, now that you have the place to yourself. A few seconds later one of your current favourites starts blaring through the flat as you throw open the kitchen window, letting in some warm, summer air.  

 

*Watching you dancing in the kitchen;

I could call you my new religion;

You’re waking me up in the morning;

You’re waking me up in the morning, yea*

 

The song’s energy immediately catches your heart. You just woke up, but music is a better wake up call than anything else. You start singing along, at first lightly dancing through the room, your tea already forgotten. It’s not long before you start full on jumping around, the grin on your face so wide it’s almost painful. Taking a breath, you decide to put the song on repeat, you need this mood for as long as possible after that weirdness happened with Hobi last night.

 

After a few repeats of the song you start to slow down, only bopping along to the beat as you actually start fixing breakfast. As you set down your cereal, you can’t help but start dancing again, twirling and overacting the “moves” already exhausting yourself before the day has even properly started. You eyes closed you don’t notice a figure emerging from Hobi’s bedroom. He is rubbing his eyes, obviously awoken by your early bird party.

With one last spin, you finish the song, stopping perfectly on the last beat and opening your eyes, only to find Hoseok right in front of you.

“You know I love getting woken up by half beautiful girls dancing in my kitchen but not this early?” He grins mischievously before his face is distorted by a big yawn.

“I thought you were still out.” you reply, immediately turning away and moving towards your phone and breakfast. You turn down the music and switch to a playlist instead of the one song on the repeat. You’re embarrassed, not knowing how to act after last night and whatever that tinder message was supposed to mean. So you just have breakfast, scrolling through your phone and lightly bopping along to the songs in the background.

After fixing himself a coffee, you feel hobi coming up behind you, his hand soon lightly massaging your neck. Your eyes losing focus, your whole body concentrates just on that little touch. Leaning into it, you close your eyes, letting your head lull forwards to give him better access.

As he speaks, you can hear a smile in his voice:  “Are you jealous? Or why would you superlike me and then just be so curt when I left my date to be here with you.”

“How would I know you left your date to be here, I haven’t seen you since you practically ran from me out the door last night. And I don’t care what you do and with whom. I’m your roommate and that’s it.” You don’t even know why you’re getting so agitated. He really left his date last night just to come home to you? You feel a small pinch in your heart.

But no, you two are friends. He’s just joking with you. Like he has been for years.

At your words, his hand freezes on your neck.

Suddenly he is right in front of you, kneeling down to be on eye level with you, your chin in his hand as he pulls you to face him.

“You know you mean more than a roommate to me. And I’m sorry for running out on you like that last night. I didn’t know how to deal with what happened at the studio.” His thumb caressing your jaw, his eyes shining with something you can’t interpret as anything other than love, you can’t help but smile at him. Your sunshine, your beautiful Hoseok.   

 

Your phone starts blaring your alarm tone, brutally interrupting the moment. Hobi laughs, rolling his eyes out of your view, his cheeks slightly flushed.

Done glaring at your phone, you turn back to him, only to find him smiling at his phone, standing behind the kitchen aisle. As per usual, the sun itself seems to be his ally, as he is perfectly illuminated, every inch of his chiseled torso basically glowing. You can’t help but stare.

 

After a few seconds of turning your rational brain back on you ask: “What’s the plan for today, sunshine? It’s saturday and great weather, anything you wanna do? I’m off work so I’m up for whatever.”

He looks up, locking eyes with you, he smiles. “I am skipping practise today, how about some shopping and some light day drinking in the park?”. He winks.

A laugh escapes your mouth. “Skipping practise, huh? Don’t you have a performance on Friday? How naughty!” you wiggle your eyebrows at him.

You don’t know what’s gotten into you…….

He suddenly starts coughing, choking on his coffee, his eyes big at your playful comment.

You quickly try to gloss it over: “Uh.. Wait… Let me just get dressed and we can get going. Let’s get some nice coffee in town and get shopping asap.” You look anywhere but his eyes as you hurriedly chug your tea and get up to change.

“I wouldn’t mind you wearing just that shirt, bright eyes.” He laughs, watching you hurry towards your room.

Your eyes widening, you remember what you’re wearing. One of His old shirts. And only underpants underneath. Your face gets hot and you just flee towards the safety of your room, his laugh, still interrupted by coughs, still sounding behind you as you slam the door closed, dropping to the floor. What just happened? Did you really just flirt with your best friend? And did he actually flirt back? Or was he just teasing you?

After a short mental breakdown on your bedroom floor, you remember you gotta get dressed to go shopping with Hobi. Opting for shorts and the shirt you’re already wearing (only this time with a bra underneath) you grab your stuff and leave your room, ready to go.