Chapter 1

First Time is a Charm

"I just don't see How I am being unreasonable. If we're going at it for a good bit, and I've worked up a sweat, and he's worked up a sweat, why is it so insane to want to spend the night. I mean I am physically exhausted, it's not like I'm asking to move in. A girl just needs a good power nap, you know what I mean?" That was Taylor she was the most aggressive girl I have ever met in my life. She's known for having insane charisma and being and being very strong about opinions.

"Absolutely not. The thing that you don't understand taylor...and I figure this goes for the rest of you, but us guys just like to hit it and quit it."

"Ew! All guys don't think like you guys, some actually know how to treat a lady." Said Maxine. Maxine was well versed on both guys and girls as she floated both ways. She was what you could call a free spirit. Her parents grew up in during the Hippy movement and let just say it rubbed off really well onto their sweet daughter whom they legally named, tomato. Yes, Tomato. Maxine just kind of came about as a joke but kind of managed to stick so far.

"It's not that we're treating them bad necessarily we just like to have without all the strings attached you know what I mean? Think of it this way. I like to eat cake but I don't want to buy the ingredients and bake it myself. I'd rather just pay for it."

"So...you want a e...?" Maxine smiled as she pointed out the position, George, pretty much walked into.

"That's not what I meant but you know what I'm getting at right."

It was a few weeks until valentines day and one topic that never gets old between these friends is the topic of relationships and the es. Who's smarter, who's more likely to cheat, who has been more influential, which is more important to society, why are guys so complicated, why are women so complicated and the list goes on. There's me Naomi, and my friends Taylor, George, Freddie, Maxine, and Young-Jae. We have all been friends since senior-year of high school and have kept in touch despite the fact that between the five of us we are involved in different things.

"I just think guys and girls can do certain things more easily than others. For example, guys have an easier time just having , but chicks need to be emotionally invested, and to talk about feelings after and get to know you before...Am I exaggerating here Freddie?"

"Not at all. Honestly, I think chicks are just not in tune with their ual side because they don't get o to embrace it. guys are told to de-flower, and have as much as possible as a right-of-passage, almost."

"Guys don't seek relationships. It is as simple as that."

"Honestly I don't care about all of that, as long as he can do it right when we're between the sheets, that's what matters. For example, Maxine when you first had with your boyfriend you said it but then you told him what you liked, and didn't like and now what happens..."

"...we go at it like rabbits." Laughter broke out from our table as our friends tried to be subtle in containing their giggles.

"And Naomi, when a guy hits it at the right angle, doesn't it just make your toes curl?" This is the awkward moment that I knew would occur with every single one of these conversations. I'm not sure how but I don't think they realize that I'm not a , but however innocent they think I am is about to get a whole lot stronger.

"Actually I don't know...I've never done that." The table got significantly quieter than I had expected as all of my friends' eyes all looked at me. Some with more surprise than others, other in admiration but nonetheless they were looks telling me something. 

"No way! what about Chris? You guys were together for like 2 months.."

"Yeah so..."

"Wait are you celibate?"

I played with my food on my plate and paused as I thought of a response that would create the least resistance. "No an yes. I tell guys yes I am celibate just because they usually leave you alone after that. But honestly, I would like to lose it just to say that I've been there and done that but I don't want to hook-up with someone either..." I would have continued but their faces showed complete confusion after that.

"I'm not going to pretend to understand all you said, and just say that it isn't that much of a big deal as people make it out to be..." started Taylor

"Says you!" Maxine piped in. "You're the first time was with a trash dude so that already makes you biased."

"Honestly everyone's first time is pretty bland because it is literally your first time... well...assuming you are both s it usually is pretty y," said Georgie. "What about you Young-Jae, you haven't said anything." George nodded his head in the direction of Young-Jae who sat beside me. 

"I agree with almost everything Nomi said. Except I'd be just cool hooking up with somebody since I am not good with talking to females." Young Jae scratched the back of his head as he leaned forward to type something on the laptop. Young Jae was the quietest out of all us but and could always be the voice of reason when things got out of hand. When we need help with homework we call him up even if it's not something he's studying himself. 

"I find that hard to believe for you." Said Freddie. "Every time I ask you to hang out you're always with some chick."

"Yeah to tutor 9/10 times. Besides in this day 'size matters' and stereotypically...I'm not fortunate with that reputation." Young_Jae began to blush a bit even as he pretended to be super invested in the paper he was writing.

"I don't know Young-Jae. Size doesn't matter, as long as you know how to use it. I've been with guys how were a less than average in length but the secret is all in the hips..." Suddenly Taylor stood up, stood behind her chair and starting to move her body in a very suggestive manner. 

"Would you sit down, this is, not the strip club," exclaimed Freddie. "We honestly can not take you anywhere..."

Taylor finally stopped and she started gaining more stares and smiles from surrounding tables. "Whatever. I have to go anyway but I'll see you guys later."

"So soon it's only 7:30?"

"Yeah but I have to be at work for a later shift so I'll see you guys later." She pulled her backpack over her shoulder and threw a peace sign over her shoulder. "...peace in the middle east!"

"Not to be a follower but these wooden seats are not the most comfortable and this man has got to eat." George stood up patting his belly and putting his laptop away. 

"Hey, can you drop me off downtown so I can catch the train back," Maxine asked distressed as she looked distressed over something she was reading on her phone. "My roommate can't find the sage and is having a meltdown, and if I don't get back fast, she might breakdown or something."

"So I guess study session is over then for me then." Freddie unplugged his laptop. "I'm trying to avoid this assignment and it's student night at the megaplex so I might as well sharpen the sword that is sure to kill me later, right?" Freddie was a literature major and always had a phrase or strange way of saying things to get his point across. Our money is that he'll be the first of us to make it to the west coast as a director. His mother used to sing on Broadway until she had him, and now she just sings in the shower. At least that's what he says.

"Are you leaving too?" Young-Jae ask me.

------------------------------------------------------------------ Change of POV from Naomi to Young Jae ----------------------------------------------------------

"Are you leaving too?" I asked towards Naomi seeing as everyone else was leaving. 

"Nah. I have a ton of work to get done for this one class and the professor is super particular about grading and..." I noticed she had stopped talking and looked to see why she stopped. She held her face in her hands. I couldn't help but notice the rise and fall of her shoulders as she exhaled deeply. I looked to see the last of our friends leave and noticed that since I was sitting next to her that this could be an opportunity. I scooted closer to her and started to pat her on the back, but pulled my hand back and ran it through my hair just as she began to lift her head. "...you probably cannot relate because you are the student every professor dreams about.  "

"Me? N-noo they get annoyed with me sometimes because I often correct them, or question them." Wait don't say that you sound arrogant. Think fast... 

"I would rather people think I'm too smart, rather than smart enough, any day."

She pushed her braids out of her face and pouted a little. She's so cute and she doesn't even know it. "I think you are very smart."

"Lol, you're just saying that to make me feel good."

"I'm not. You were graduated with a 4.1 in High School for a reason, while also being captain of the track team and working a part-time job at the worst place possible. Not to mention the research presentation you did last semester that got featured in not just the university paper but city paper as well." It's crazy to me how this girl could possibly think less than highly of herself. "I've been pushing myself to be more like you since I've met you just to keep up with you..." I finally realized I was rambling and looked her in her eyes to see her staring right back at me with those beautiful brown eyes. 

"You remember all that? That was years ago."

"I pay attention to a lot of the things you do." Are you crazy that sounds weird? Take it back, laugh it off as a joke.

"Wow, Youngjae that's really sweet of you."  Oh my gosh, she just called me sweet. Be cool. Be cool. "And you say you don't have a game with the ladies..." She shoves my arm playfully and I can feel the heat going to my cheeks. I need space from this girl or I'm going to give my feelings all away.