The Reason

Serendipity

 

CHAPTER 13

 

“Minjoo-ah, are you sure you’re going to be okay for the day?” Chaeyeon asked worriedly “Why don’t you go home and rest today.”

“Unnie, I’m fine.” Minjoo answered with a reassuring smile

“I’ll go and get you a medicine at the clinic then.”

“No, it’s o—“ Chaeyeon had left before she could finish her sentence.

 

“Daebak!” It was Yena “Minjoo-ah, you have a home cooked food in your desk, your admirer is stepping up their game. Asa! I have a lunch for today.”

“Yena unnie that’s not yours. Why are you taking it?”

“Because it would be such a waste, Minjoo wouldn’t eat it anyway.” Yena answered holding the food.

Don’t get Minjoo wrong, she just doesn’t like eating foods she doesn’t know where or whom it came from.

 

Chaeyeon entered the room. “Minjoo-ah, the nurse said someone already get a medicine for you so she didn’t give me one.”

“Really?” Minjoo asked as she looked around as everyone shook her head, then her phone beep, receiving a message.

 

 

FR: YUJIN

“Grandma Kim said you’re sick, I brought you food and medicine; make sure you take it after you eat”

 

Food?

Then she look at Chaeyeon, someone already get a medicine for you.

 

Then she snapped her head at Yena who’s now halfway opening the food Yujin brought her. Her eyes went wide as rushed to Yena.

 

“What are you doing?” Yena asked confusedly when Minjoo put her hand to the food stopping Yena from opening it.

“I never said you could have it.” Minjoo answered as she pulled the food

“But you wouldn’t it eat.”

“Who said I wouldn’t eat it?” Minjoo asked as she sits down and starts eating.

 

 

Yujin and Hyewon was having their lunch when Yujin’s phone beep, indicating it had received a message.

 

“Aren’t you going to read that?” Hyewon asked when Yujin continued eating not checking her phone.

“I’ll check it after we eat, it’s probably not that important.”

“I’m sure it isn’t.” Hyewon nodding

 

“Stop it.”

“What?” Hyewon asked

“Stop whatever ridiculous idea you’re having right now.”

“I’m eating… do you think I have time to think ridiculous idea right now?”

“That’s the face you make when you’re having ridiculous thought so stop it.”

“It is not a ridiculous thought, okay.” Hyewon said “I was just thinking that why would you say that, that message isn’t important when you’ve been checking your phone every second? Does that even make sense?”

“I wasn’t checking my phone, okay.” Yuri said in defense

“I didn’t know you could be this cute.” Hyewon teased as she stands “I’ll go get us a drink, you cutie~”

 

 

 

FR: KIM MINJOO

 

‘Hi Yujin, sorry for troubling you, I wasn’t that sick but thank you. The food was great but the medicine wasn’t. I’ll treat you lunch next time.’

 

Yujin sighed after reading the message, it wasn’t that much of a big deal but she doesn’t know why she’s feeling nervous about it.

 

She’s been typing and erasing a reply on Minjoo’s messages but in the end she decided not to. Sending a reply seems clingy and she wasn’t that type nor anywhere near it at least when Grandma Kim asked her, she did what she promised her and that’s all that matters.

 

 

 

 

“Hey isn’t that Minjoo?” Hyewon nudged Yujin

 

Yujin looked straight and saw Minjoo with Yuri and Yena.

 

“What should I do?” Hyewon asked as they continue walking “Should I say hi?”

“Have you ever said hi to her on the hallway?” Yujin asked

“No…”

“Then don’t, just walk past her like you’ve always do. She knows that you know so you don’t have to do anything.”

 

Hyewon just nodded as they continue walking ahead.

 

 

“You know, you’re really suspicious.” Yena said as they walked “You never have eaten anything any student gave you so what’s so special about that food earlier? Who gave it to you?”

“Are you still mad at me about that food?” Minjoo asked back

“And you not answering my question are making it more suspicious.” Yena said

“I just feel like eating it, that’s it.” Minjoo answered when she noticed Hyewon and Yujin walking on the hallway.

 

Smile curved up on her lips.

 

“H…i” She trailed as smile disappear from her face when Yujin just walked past into her as if they didn’t know each other.

“You okay?” Yuri asked when Minjoo stop from her tracks.  “Who was that?” looking at Yujin and Hyewon  “Do you know her? I don’t think she knows you or she would’ve said hi in return.”

“Is that Kang Hyewon? We’re classmates but she isn’t the friendly type.” Yena answered for her “I tried saying hi last time I saw her but she didn’t even glance at me.”

“That’s being rude you know.” Yuri said

“She’s not rude, she’s just not the type who socialize.” Yena said “It’s good that she’s walking with someone now, it’s my first time seeing her with someone I wonder who she is.”

 

 

 

“Thank you again for accompanying me tonight.” Grandma Kim told Yujin

“Anytime.” Yujin said with a smile

“I hope Minjoo can come with us next time but I heard that your schools festival is getting closer so I think she can’t come with us anytime soon.” Grandma Kim said

 

Yujin never had an interest in any school activities let alone become an officer in school ever since she was young so she had no idea what kind of preparation they’ve been doing but for Minjoo to actually get sick says a lot.

 

“I hope you don’t get tired of her.”  Grandma Kim suddenly added when Yujin didn’t say anything.

“H-huh…” Yujin uttered, dumbfounded

“I know how relationship at your age works, I’ve been there and one can be demanding on time to their partner and that it can lead to break up when it’s not met but I hope you understand her.” Grandma Kim explained

“No, it’s fine. I totally understand her.” Yujin assures her “I will always be here, supporting her all the way.” The hell she’s saying, she thought.

 

Yujin stayed for a couple of minutes but since it’s getting late she bid grandma goodbye.

 

“I would’ve ask you to wait for Minjoo but it’s getting late and I’m not sure what time she’ll come so I won’t hold you any longer.” Grandma Kim said

“No, it’s okay, we see each other in school anyway…” Yujin trailed when she remember what happen at school yesterday. She totally ignored her.

 

 

Yujin was waiting at the bus station when Minjoo got off the bus. They both stop, staring at each other when the bus driver breaks the silence between them

 

“Student’s aren’t you coming?”

“Y-yeah, yeah” Yujin said as she rushed inside the bus.

 

“She ignored me again,” MInjoo mumble while looking at the moving bus. She made a deep sighed then turn to left.

 

“Kim Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo stop from her tracks. “Yujin?” then turn around and saw Yujin walking towards her.

 

“I’ll walk you home.” Yujin said

Minjoo shakes her head “No, its fine... you don’t have to.”

“I want to talk to you too.” Yujin said as she starts walking soon after followed by Minjoo.

 

The silence was getting awkward and uncomfortable for the both of them so Yujin decided to speak “How are you feeling?”

“Good as new.” Minjoo answered “I’m sorry for troubling you yesterday but thank you. I really appreciate it.”

“Do you always come home this late?”

“During preparations of the event, it can’t be helped there’s so much to do.”

“I don’t know what kind of preparation you guys is doing but don’t push yourselves too hard.” Yujin said “It may be important but your health is more important.”

 

 “Is that the future doctor talking?” Minjoo asked playfully then smile

“No, just me noticing how much sleep you need, your eye bag is half of your face already.”

Minjoo chuckles “You should see Eunbi unnie.”

“I did earlier actually, she’s probably sleep walking already.”

“Almost everyone is.” Minjoo said as they reached the Kim’s gate. “Anyway, you said you wanted to talk to me?”

“Yeah... about that.” Yujin stop from her tracks “Your grandma misses you. I know how busy you are at school and all but I hope you spend time with her.”

“I know…” Minjoo smile ruefully “That’s why I’m really thankful on what you’ve been doing for Gradnma. She won’t stop talking about you every breakfast.” She smile remembering how Grandma Kim would tell them the joke that Yujin would tell her but failing miserably and saying Yujin’s tells it much better than her.

“Also, I would like to apologize for what happen yesterday. I didn’t mean to be rude or anything, it’s just that…” She paused “Student might start noticing that we know each other and that could get us an unnecessary and unwanted attention. It’s hard enough that we are both lying in our home, let’s not include the school.” Yujin explained

 

TBC...