Fever

Serendipity

CHAPTER 12

 

“Hyewon unnie, do you want to come with us?” Yujin asked as they walk out of school “I’m sure, Grandma Kim wouldn’t mind.”

“I’d love to…” Hyewon sighed “But I have 3 exams tomorrow and I haven’t read anything. How about Minjoo?”

“Meeting at the council.” Yujin answered “They’re probably busy for the upcoming sports fest.”

“And speaking of sports fest, are you going to participate on games?” Hyewon asked

“Yeah, it’s requirements to Ms. Im, she’s also your teacher right?”

Hyewon sighed “Why would she even required all of her students to participate in game, I feel like regretting saying that she’s one of the best teacher here.”

Yujin couldn’t help chuckling looking at Hyewon grumbling “Come on I’ll be fun. Why don’t you join track and field too, Ms. I’m didn’t say that you have to win, you just need to participate. You’ll just run for like 30sec and that’s it.”

“Who in the world takes 30 seconds running for 100 meter? Are you mocking me right now?

Yujin laughs

“Have you ever seen me run? I’m good at running, I might actually beat you.”

“Yeah, yeah~~” Yujin teased

 

 

“Is Minjoo still sleeping?” Grandma Kim asked drinking her tea, Minjoo usually at the table eating breakfast at this time but she isn’t

“I’ll go check on her.” Her mother

 

“Minjoo…” Mrs. Kim called while knocking on the door, she had called her four times already but Minjoo isn’t answering so she decided to go inside. There she saw Minjoo’s figure still lying on bed. Minjoo rarely wake up late especially when she have to go to school. It’s either she forgot to set an alarm or she’s sick and Mrs. Kim confirm the latter when she saw touches Minjoo’s forehead, she have a fever.

 

“Minjoo-ah.” Mrs. Kim called softly while tapping her shoulder lightly.

Minjoo squinted “Mom?”

“You—“

“Oh my I’m going to be late.” Minjoo rise up almost immediately, and then stop when pain strikes on her head.

“I don’t think you should go to school. Why don’t you just rest for today?”

“I can’t.” Minjoo said as she gets up from her bed “There’s still a lot to do at the council.”

“I’m sure they will understand, you’ve been working non-stop these past few days.”

“I’m fine.” Minjoo assuring her mother with a smile “And I don’t want to miss any class. I’ll just take a medicine and I’m sure I will be fine in no time.” Minjoo answered as she entered the bathroom

 

 

Yujin’s waiting at the cafeteria for Hyewon when her phone rang and registered Grandma Kim’s name.

“Hello, grandma,” Yujin greeted cheerily “Do you want to go somewhere?”

“Hello, Yujinie.” Grandma Kim answered back with a smile “No, I have an appointment later. I just called to ask if you have seen Minjoo today”

“Ah, no… she’s probably busy with the council’s meeting.” Yujin answered and even if she isn’t, they don’t really meet. They might agree to do this but that doesn’t mean they become bff. “Why?”

 

“Will you make sure that she eats and drink her medicine on time?” Grandma Kim asked on the other line

“She didn’t tell you, didn’t she?” Grandma Kim added when Yujin didn’t respond

“Uh, no… she didn’t”

“We wouldn’t know too if she didn’t wake up late earlier.” Grandma Kim said concern “We told her not to go today but you know how stubborn she is.”

“Don’t worry grandma; I’ll make sure she eats her medicine on time.” Yujin assured her.

“Oh, before I forgot she left her medicine here at home. I already called her and she said that’s shell just get on the clinic. Will you make sure that she does? She doesn’t like taking it; I wouldn’t be surprised if she left it on purpose”

“I’ll make sure that she takes her medicine” Yujin said “Don’t worry too much.”

“Thank you.” She said then ended the call.

 

 

“Why do you have a frown while looking at the food?” Hyewon asked seeing the frown on Yujin’s food while looking at the menu list

“Everything’s too oily, that’s not healthy.”

It was Hyewon’s turn to frown “What? Since when did you become conscious on what you eat? You’ve been eating that for like half a year now.”

“Imagine eating that for 4 years now” Yujin said leaving the line “Let’s go find somewhere else.” making Hyewon dumbfounded

“I don’t know what’s gotten into you but you’re in luck.” Hyewon said walking on Yujin’s side “Mom called and said they’ll bring us lunch.”

 

Yujin’s face lit up “Really?! Oh God I love your mom.”

“Yeah, me too. She’s a God of cooking.”

“Can you ask her if she could add for another person?”

 

Hyewon eyed her.

 

“It was Grandma Kim okay, she called and said that Minjoo’s sick and sh—“

 

Yujin stopped talking when she saw Hyewon giving her a teasing smile.

“Stop it,”

“What?” Hyewon asked chuckling “I d— hey, where are you going?”

 

 

“Do you have something for fever?” Yujin asked the school’s doctor

“For whom?” The doctor asked as she glanced to her and Hyewon

“Not for us. But for someone sick” Yujin answered

“Oh, But I can’t just give a medicine to ‘someone sick’” The doctor said “I nee—“

“It’s for Minjoo Doctor Oh,” It was Hyewon “The Vice President”

“Oh, right. Yeah, I actually saw her earlier and she doesn’t look good, I told her to come here but that girl won’t listen. She works hard too much. Thank God she has friends like you.” She said then took a medicine from cabinet and handed it to Yujin “Make sure she eats before she takes it.”

“Don’t worry Doctor, Yujin here will make sure that she eats, no oily foods” Hyewon said teasingly “Just healthy foods, right, Yujin-ah?”

 

 

“Hmm, hmm~~~” Hyewon hums as they waited for her mother “Hmmm~~”

“Stop it.” Yujin said

“Stop what?” Hyewon asked with a straight face, then hum again

“Yah!”

Hyewon chuckles “What? I’m just humming, what’s your problem?”

 

Yujin sighed “When is your mom coming, I can’t wait to get away from you”

“Can’t get away from me or can’t wait to see her?” Hyewon teased as she elbowed Yujin softly “You’re such a clingy girlfriend.”

Yujin grits her teeth and was about to hit Hyewon when the latter’s phone rang.

“Mom, oh you’re here? Okay, we’ll meet you at the gate.”

 

“Did you grow taller?” Mrs. Kang asked excitedly

Yujin smiled “How can I not? You feed me delicious food all the time.”

Mrs. Kang chuckles “Anyway, where are your other friend? You asked for another person right?”

 

Hyewon broke in a teasing smile “There’s no other friend mom but there is someone beautiful that also has a friend on it, right Yujin-ah?”

 

Yujin grits her teeth as she looked at Hyewon grinning “Can I please un-friend her, Auntie Kang?”

 

Mrs. Kang chuckles “So, where is this pretty friend?” as her brows wiggle’s while looking at Yujin teasingly

“Oh, please not you too.” Yujin said in defeat

“See where I get that” Hyewon said laughing “Anyway, don’t be shy. Sooner or later my mom will meet her too, or you don’t want too?”

“You’re going to hurt my feelings if that’s the case Yujin-ah; I thought we’re a family.” Mrs. Kang said faking a tear

Yujin sighed helplessly.

 

 

“Stop pushing me!” Yujin hissed as she looked at Hyewon pushing her from behind

“Well, I wouldn’t have to, that’s like a 3 minute walk and it’s been 15 minutes already and we haven’t reached the student council office yet.” Hyewon stated “You keep walking back and forth for God sake.”

“Then why don’t you give it then, I’ll wait for you here” Yujin said

“Am I the girlfriend?”

“Will you please stop saying that word? It’s not funny.”

“Do you know what’s not funny?” She said frowning “I’m hungry and the soup is getting cold” She said as she made another pushed to Yujin again

 

 

Yujin took a deep breath when they reached the door of the student council. Hyewon was about to knock when Yujin stopped her.

 

“What are you doing?”

“Uh, Knocking?”

“What if someone’s inside?” Yujin asked “No one can know about us.”

 

Hyewon sighed in frustration “Yah, do you really think that if someone saw you giving Minjoo a soon-to-be cold soup they would quickly assume that you two are dating?”

“I d—“

“Do you have any idea how many confessions, letter, flowers, gifts is Minjoo getting every day?” Hyewon asked, making Yujin speechless “A lot. A L-O-T. For sure if someone saw you, they’d think that you’re just one of her admirer.”

“I’m not her admire” Yuijn argue

“No, you’re the girlfriend.” Hyewon said, and before Yujin could argue, Hyewon opened the door.

“What are you do—“ Before Yujin could finish what she’s going to say, Hyewon already went inside.

 

“You’re in luck.” Hyewon said when no one’s inside the room. “Oh, there’s her table.”

“And how do you know that’s her table?” Yujin asked as she followed Hyewon to the side table

“Are you listening to me? I told you, you girlfriend got a lot of—“

“I told you to stop saying that word.”

“Thus all the flowers, letters and gifts.” Hyewon said looking at Minjoo’s table full of gifts, flowers and letters.

 

Yuijn push some of the things lightly as she placed the food. “Let’s go.”

“What? That’s it?”

 

Yujin frowned “That’s it what? Come on, before someone walks in.”

“And how is Minjoo going to know that this came from you?”

“She doesn’t have to know she just have to eat it.”

Hyewon sighed in frustration “Look at this.” She said as she took a letter attached to a flower

 

‘Minjoo-noona, you’re so pretty. Are you dating someone? Please date me’

 

“Sorry buddy but she’s taken.” Hyewon said as Yujin pulled her

“Wait, there’s another one.” Hyewon said as she read another note again

 

“Minjoo-ssi, you don’t look so well today, are you sick? Please take care of yourself my heart hurts seeing you like that.”

 

“Sweet, right? That’s how you do it.”

“I don’t have to do it. I don’t even need to do anything, okay.”

“And yet here we are.” Hyewon said in fact

“That’s because Grandma Kim asked me to—“

“She asked you to make sure that she eats and drinks her medicine, she didn’t say anything about getting her healthy foods or getting her a medicine and sneaking here, that’s you.”

 

And before Yujin could say anything, the bell for lunch breakreak rings.