The Apologies

Serendipity

CHAPTER 11

 

 

“Let’s date.”

 

Minjoo stares at her.

Yujin quickly let go of Minjoo “I mean, let’s do it. Let’s continue pretending that we are dating.”

Minjoo looked at her worriedly, reaction that Yujin didn’t expect. She expected her to at least be happy that she decided to do this, but she’s not.

“I appreciate you doing this but you don’t have to.”

“But I want to.” Yujin insist softly “I want to see her happy even if it has to be like this.”

“What if she finds out?” Minjoo asked

Yujin paused. It’s funny how Yujin is now the one insisting with the lie when she’s opposing it so much before. “Let’s cross the bridge when we get there.”

“Yujin… I’m not saying no to you because I don’t want to do it anymore. I’m all for it, I wouldn’t have started it if I wasn’t. I’m saying no this time because I am giving you a chance to free yourself from guilt. I didn’t gave you one before, so I’m telling you to take it.”

“And I’m telling you that I don’t want it.” Yujin said firmly “Let me help fill her days with a smile.”

“Are you sure?” Minjoo asked, though she already knew that, judging from Yujin’s eyes that she wouldn’t budge “If we do this, there’s no turning back.”

“And I promise that I won’t.”

 

 

 

 

“Mom?”

“Oh, you’re awake.” Mrs. Ahn greeted her with a smile

“I thought you have early schedule today, why are you still here?”

“My first client cancelled so I decided to bake and besides I promise Grandma Kim that I’d bake for her” She answered “Bring it to them. I’ll get ready for my next client” Looking at the paper bag in front of her “This one’s for the Kim’s and the other one is for Hyewon.”

Yujin could only heave a sighed when her mother left the kitchen before Yujin could even say anything.

 

Yujin keep tapping her foot on the ground as she look at the door bell in front of her.  Twn minutes have passed since she got here and until now she's still contemplating whether to go or not.

It's been a week since they both agreed to the dating but it doesn't mean that it wouldn't be awkward. Especially not seeing each after that agreement and now she's here dropping a cake at 9 in the morning.

 

"What were you even thinking Yujin when you spat those words that you want to do this?" Yujin asked herself in distress "Have you gone crazy?  Of course you did, you wouldn't have said those words if you're thinking clearly."

 

Yujin was so busy talking to herself that she didn't notice Grandma Kim's presence behind her.

 

"Yujinnie?"

 

Yujin turn quickly

 

"What are you doing here?”

"Ah, m-mom... She bake for you a promise" she said lifting the paper bag on her hand.

Grandma Kim took the paper bag in delight "Thank you."

"You're welcome. I'll go ahead then, i'm going to drop this off to Hyewon unnie"

"Aren't you going to see Minjoo?" Of course it would be weird to go into your 'girlfriend's' house without seeing her.

"She stayed late last night." Yujin lied, but she hope that Minjoo did. She can't get herself caught after being firm about her decision on doing this.

"Of course she did." Grandma Kim, Yujin breath a relief when Grandma Kim bought it.  "That girl doesn't know how to take a break."

"Yeah." Yujin nodded as if she really knows "It's Saturday so I don't want to wake her up early."

"How about you join me on this? I promise we won't wake Minjoo up" Grandma Kim said softly and how can Yujin say no when the reason why she's doing this is to make her happy

 

 

 

 

Minjoo heard a laughter as she walks down the stairs, one was definitely her grandma. It's been so long since she heard her laughing her heart out and it curious Minjoo on who could be behind it.

 

"Good morning grandma." Minjoo greeted when she get a sight of her sitting on the kitchen.

"Oh, good morning."

"Who are you---" The words coming from stop as soon as she laid her eyes on the visitor.

"Good morning." Yujin greeted at her with a smile

"Yujin..." She mummble in surprised.

"Did we wake you up?" Yujin asked as she steps towards her and did the cheek to cheek and whispered "i'm doing this right without being a , right?"

Yujin had caught her off guard and made her blush by the sudden action.

 

Flashback

 

"Yujin." Minjoo called when Yujin was about to go inside the car after bidding their goodbye to the Kim's

"Yes?"

"Take care."

"Yeah, you too."

"See you."

"See you to--" Yujin couldn't finish what she's going to say when Minjoo suddenly lean in and kiss her on the cheek.

 

Minjoo saw the unreadable expression on Yujin's face when she pulled back "If we're going to really do this, we should be able to atleast do that without you looking like you're having a constipation."

 

"Becase you caught me off guard!" Yujin said defending herself "And though I can't see myself I am sure that I don't look like I'm having a constipation... I’m just surprised l, that’s all. And besides why do you have to kiss me, we can just do cheek to cheek. Are you trying to scare me?" she asked suspiciously

"Are you scared?" Minjoo asked with a straight expression

"Of course I am." Yujin answered sarcastically "You ."

"I'm a what!? P-?! I'm not a !" Minjoo said unbelievably "I'm just telling you how to do this thing right."

 

"Yeah, yeah...” Yujin teased "Be careful on your way home ." she said then went inside their car before Minjoo can say anything.

 

 

"How late did you stay last night?" Grandma Kim asked as Yujin pulled back.  "Yujin's here for 2 hours now."

"Is it?" Yujin asked looking at her watch "Time passby quickly. Explained why Hyewon unnie has been messaging me non-stop. She's crazy when it comes to food." then her phone rang. "See." she said upon seeing Hyewon's name on the phone.

Grandma Kim chuckled "I'll let you two alone before you go then." then left the kitchen.

 

 

"I only did cheek to cheek, but you look like you've seen a ghost, you're worst than me."

"I was just surpr--"

"Surprise, right? So let's just not surprised each other too much, okay" Yujin said "Anyway, how late did you stay last night?  It's almost 12."

"I s—“

"Oh, sorry, it's not really my business. You don't have to answer it" Yujin said "And speaking of lunch time, I better go now or Hyewon unnie might turn into a monster eating cake."

Minjoo nodded "Okay... "

"See you then." Yujin said then starts to walk bit before she could leave the kitchen Minjoo called her

"Wait... How about I walk you to the station?"

"No, it’s fine." Yujin quickly said

"Don't feel bothered, I'll go buy a lunch anyway."

After giving it a thought Yujin nodded her head "Okay."

"Wait for me here, I'll just go and change a clothes."

 

 

Awkward.

They were doing well earlier but the atmosphere turns awkward as soon as they walked out of the house, it's like they didn't know each other.

They were walking for about five minutes now when Yujin's phone rang. Yujin felt relief when she saw Hyewon's name on it, it could at least less the awkwardness.

 

"Why are taking so long?  I'm starving"

"I told you I'm on my way and besides if you're starving eat, I have cake not lunch."

"But if I eat lunch then I'll be full and I won't be able to eat a dessert"

"You always have a room for dessert." Yujin stated

"Fact." Hyewon laughed "Are you sure you're on your way, why I don't hear any engines."

"That's because I'm still walking."

 

"Oh, Minjoo-ah, I haven't seen you in a while, visit here soon” One of the Grandma's from a food shop said

"I will." Minjoo answered with a smile

 

Yujin could swear that Hyewon's breathe on the other side of the line change as soon as the grandma says Minjoo's name.

 

"I'll be there in 15 so—“

"No, you don't have to rush, take your sweet little time, I'm just going to wait here." She said teasingly

"I change my mind. I'll go home"

"Yah, yah, yah." Hyewon said quickly "Yah Ahn Yujin!  Why are you so late?  Don't you know how long have I been waiting for you?  Come here quickly!"

Yujin laughs "I'll be there you glutton." then ended the call before Hyewon could say anything.

 

 

"Hyewon sunbae?" Minjoo asked when Yujin hang up

"Sunbae?  Ah, right...  She's a year higher than you."

Minjoo nodded "But we are classmates on one subject. Isn't she quiet?"

"When you don't know her. The only time she'll stop is when she's eating."

"I guess you'll never really know someone until you've spent time with them." Minjoo said in serious "I once talk to her about class but after that she never really talks."

"She just prefers to be alone too, that's why we become friends I guess." Yujin smile softly "Dealing with yourself is already hard enough."

 

Silence followed.

 

After seconds of silence, Minjoo stopped her tracks. "I'm sorry for dragging you into this."

"You should be." Yujin said looking at her "This is the worst mess I've been."

 

Minjoo looked down feeling bad for what she did to Yujin.

 

"It's your fault so I will accept your apology." Yujin said "But the next time you say sorry for this reason will not be accepted because you already gave me a chance to walk away and I didn't."

 

Minjoo looked up as Yujin smile at her  "So whatever happens next, just so you know it's not all your fault, it's mine too. I guess the next thing that will happen is on me since I was the one who insisted on this, so I'm sorry in advance."