The Parents

Serendipity

CHAPTER 9

 

Finally, the dreadful dinner that felt like eternity comes to an end, Yujin could not wait to get the hell out and go home. Don’t get her wrong, she doesn’t hate them, they were as sweet and nice like what she remembers, except Minjoo of course, she just hates the situation they were in.

 

“Time flies so fast.” Grandma Kim said, but for Minjoo and Yujin it felt like eternity already

“I agree.” Mrs. Ahn said “How about dinner at our house next time?”

 

Both Minjoo and Yujin stiffen at the invitation. They were both exhausted from tonight’s’ dinner and having the idea that there’ll be a second time is draining them already.

 

“It’s really getting late, we won’t hold you any longer. Let’s continue this on the next dinner.” Gradma Kim said

 “Thank you for tonight, we really enjoyed it. It was really great to meet all of you after a long time.” Mrs. Ahn said, then looked at Minjoo, smiling softly “It was really nice to meet you too Minjoo.”

“Likewise Mrs. Ahn.” Minjooo returning the smile

“Mrs. Ahn is too formal, you can call me Auntie.”

“Aun—“

“Mom is nice too.”  The remarks surprise the ‘couple’ that they become speechless for a moment.

 

 

“She look so tired.” Mr. Ahn asked, seeing Yujin’s sleeping figure at the back seat

Mrs. Ahn smile “But she did great.”

 

Yujin isn’t sleeping, she was just too exhausted to open her eyes.

 

“What do you think about Minjoo?” Mr. Ahn asked, and hearing her name upset and frustrate Yujin.

“She’s nice just like her parents and Grandma. She’s very sweet too.” Mrs. Ahn answered and although Yujin could not see her, she knew her mother was smiling while saying that

“She’s pretty too.” Mr. Ahn added

“A beauty indeed. I wouldn’t be surprised if Yujin had been attracted to her the first time she saw her”Mrs. Ahn said, her voice become serious “But I hope Yujin didn’t just like her because of that. That’s not what’s important.”

Mr. Ahn smile “I don’t think you need to worry about that. Mother raised Yujin well, she raised her to always look at the beauty inside and not just the outside. She wouldn’t fall in love with her if she doesn’t have a kind heart and beautiful soul, just like her.”

 

 

“Mom, Dad,” Yujin called when she reached the stairs

“What is it?” Mrs, Ahn asked she walked towards Yujin

“I’m sorry.”

Both Mrs. Ahn and Mr. Ahn looked at her worriedly “For what?”

For the lies. Yujin thought but she couldn’t say that instead, “I know how busy you two are, I’m sorry that you had to leave the hospital for this,”

“Why would you say that?” Mrs. Ahn asked with sadness evidence on her voice. “If there’s someone who needs to apologize, it’s us. We weren’t there and we miss out everything about your life ever since you were a child, I’m sorry, I really am.”

“Mom, I didn’t mean for you to—“

“I know.” Mrs. Ahn smiled at her with tears on the corner of her eyes “That’s why I am really sorry. Honestly, I don’t know who to thank for this night. Tonight I felt like I am becoming a part of your life again, that for the first time in a long time, I am your mother again.”

“You never stop being my mom.”

Mrs. Ahn smiles at her faintly “But not really the mother you deserve my sweet child. I hope you give us a chance to be your parents again.”

 

 

“Dad?”

“Oh, hey…”

“What are you doing there?” Minjoo asked, walking towards her father.

“I can’t sleep.” He answered “You? Can’t sleep too?”

Minjoo nodded.

“How are you feeling?”

“Good, now that I can finally breathe normally.” She chuckle “I feel suffocated earlier.”

Mr. Kim laugh “I get you, been there.”

“Grandma says too.”

“First meeting is always the hardest and scariest. I felt so nervous too earlier.”

“Really?” She asked in disbelief

 

He nodded “We know each other way back, but things are different this time. I am meeting my daughter’s girlfriend and it happens that it was their daughter. Your mother and I didn’t show it but we were both nervous too. Your Grandma likes Yujin a lot. What if we don’t feel the same?”

“It scares you that you wouldn’t like her?”

Mr. Kim nodded and smiles softly “That’s why I am so relief right now. I didn’t get to spend a long time with her earlier alone but the way she spoke about her late Grandma, the way her parents felt so proud by just talking about her. I could tell she’s a good kid,”

 

“She is.”

 

Mr. Kim smile “I mean, she did manage to endure your temper and that says a lot because not everyone can.”

 

Minjoo looked at his father in disbelief.

 

“Sometimes it scares me too.” Mr. Kim snicker

“Dad!”

“You’re quiet scary too.”

“I am not.”

“See? You got your mother’s temper. Don’t show that to Yujin sooner, you might scare her.”

Minjoo sighed in defeat, while her father laughed.

 

“Are you happy?” Mr. Kim asked in serious.

Though in a wrong way, I was able to make Grandma happy so that makes me happy too. Minjoo thought “I am.”

“That’s good then. Because that’s what matters.” He said smiling “Your happiness is our happiness and if she makes you happy I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be with her.”