Caught Red-Handed

Serendipity

CHAPTER 14

 

Yujin is doing her school assignment when her phone rings.  ‘Grandma Kim’ registered as the caller ID.

 

“Hi, Grandma.” Yujin greeted on the line

“Hi Yujin, are you busy? Sorry for disturbing you.”

“No, it’s okay.” Yujin answered politely “Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, it’s just…Minjoo called and said that she’ll be home late since they’re still preparing for the sports fest but her mom and dad is out of town so they cannot pick her up.” Grandma Kim explained “I know she can take care of herself but I can’t help but worry. I’m really sorry to ask you this but, could you accompany her home?”

“Don’t worry, Grandma.” Yujin told her “I’ll make sure she gets home safe.”

 

“Mom…” Yuin called when she saw her parents at the living room

“You are going somewhere?” Mrs. Ahn asked when Yujin’s backpack on her back notice

“Yeah, I’ll go to school.” Yujin answered hesitantly “Can I borrow your car?”

“But it’s already late.” Mr. Ahn said “Does it really have to be tonight?”

“Actually…” Yujin paused “Minjoo’s still at school and will go home late and I told Grandma Kim, I’ll take her home.”

“Are you going to be fine driving?” Mr. Ahn asked worriedly “Should I go with you?” Yujin have her license but she never really drive around she prefer taking buses so her parents are being worried

“I’ll be fine.” Yuin assured them with a smile “I’ll be careful.”

“Call us, okay.” Mrs. Ahn said as she handed her the keys of her car “Say hi to Minjoo for us.”

Yuin smiled at them “Will do.”

 

Yujin went inside the cafeteria near their school, she made an order and sits at the corner.

She then took her phone, contemplating whether to call or text Minjoo. In the end she decided to just send her text.

 

‘Hi Minjoo, good evening Yujin here, I heard you’re coming home late tonight and I promised grandma Kim to accompany  you home after you’re done with your preparation. I’m here at XXX Café. I’ll wait for you’

 

 

“We’re almost done,” Minjoo said looking at their setup on the gym

“Yeah, we can finish it within an hour or two.” Chaeyeon said as she stretch “I’m starving, why are they taking so long?”

“It’s Yuri and Yena, what do you expect?” Minjoo said

“I knew it, I should’ve went with Yuri.” Chaewon said “I knew this would happen.”

 

“They’re probably playing around.” Minjoo said and then went to her bag to send a text to her grandma. Her eyes widen as soon as she saw Yujin’s message. It’s been three hours.

 

“Chaeyeon unnie…”  

“Yeah? You okay?” Chaeyeon asked

“W-would it be okay if I go home now?” Minjoo asked

“Is everything alright?” Chaewon asked, concerned

Minjoo nodded “Yeah, everything’s alright jus—“

 

“Food is here~” Yuri said holding the foods

“Where is Yena?” Chayeon asked seeing Yuri alone

“She went back to buy a cheesecake but she said we can eat already.” Yuri answered

Minjoo grabbed her bag “See you tomorrow.”

“Eat before you go.” Yuri said

“I’m fine,” Minjoo said as she walk pass them.

 

“What happen? Is she okay?” Yuri looking at Chaeyeon

“I don’t know.” Chaeyeon answered “But she’s said it’s nothing serious so, I think that’s all that matters.”

 

Minjoo runs as fast as she could to where the café is located and hastily opens the door of the café and look for Yujin. She looked around still catching her breath when she saw the familiar figure sitting at the corner that has her back facing her. Yujin was holding a book and seems like she’s in her own world.

Minjoo breathes in relief at the sight, at least she isn’t sleeping on the table or looks annoyed or angry for the fact that Grandma Kim had asked her to drop Minjoo home and that she’s waiting for her for three hours now when she should be resting at home.

 

Minjoo walk towards Yujin, she was so focused on her that she didn’t notice Yena standing at the counter, paying for her order.

 

Minjoo reached her hand towards Yujin hesitantly then after several second decided to tap Yujin’s shoulder lightly. “Yuijn-ah.”

 

Yujin turns to her without a hint of annoyance “Hi…”

“What are you doing here?” Minjoo asked feeling guilty

“I’m waiting for you, didn’t you read my text?” Yujin asked “Grandma Kim asked me to.”

“I know, I just… You didn’t have to.” Minjoo said “I’ll be fine going home on my own.”

“I know, just Grandma Kim is worried about you going home late at night alone” Yujin said “And I do not want to make her worry.”

 

“Minjoo?” Yena uttered unsurely looking at Minjoo’s figure talking to the girl she didn’t know but looks familiar.

 

“I know you said that but you’ve been waiting here for almost three hours now, what if I didn’t check my phone?”

“Really?” Yujin asked as she looked at her wristwatch “I didn’t notice.”

“That’s not the point. What if I didn’t check my phone then you’ll be waiting here for another hour, you could’ve called me.”

“I didn’t want to disturb you.”

“Yujin, Grandma and I did more than disturbing and inconveniencing you, you don’t have to worry about you disturbing me.” Minjoo told her

“Okay, I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Yujin, I don—“

“Are you done with the preparation?” Yujin cut her off “Or did you just come here to check on me? You could’ve called me you know, so you wouldn’t have to come here if you’re not done.”

“We’re done.” Minjoo said

“Okay.” Yujin nodded “Have you eaten?”

“I’m fine.” Minjoo nodded “You?”

“Done.” Yujin smiled “Let’s go home then.” She said as she put her things back on her bag.

 

Yena immediately duck her head on the table when Yujin got up from her seat.

 

“Do you mind if I make a quick order?” Minjoo asked

“Not at all.” Yujin answered as they both went to the counter.

 

“Here.” Minjoo extended a cup of coffee to Yujin

“I to—“

“Take it please.” Minjoo said “It’s the least I can do.”

“Okay.” Yujin said as she took the cup “Did you order me a piece of bread too? That’ll make the coffee taste better.”

 

Minjoo chuckles “And I thought you said you already ate.”

“I did, I just wanted to make you laugh.” Yujin said “You’re frowning ever since you tapped my shoulder.”

“That’s because I felt guilty. You didn’t have to drop me at my house let alone wait for me for hours.”

“And I told you its fine.” Yujin said smiling at her reassuringly

“No, it’s not.” Minjoo said “I am bothering and making you do things you more than what you sign up for.”

 “I know exactly what I sign up for when I decided that I want to do this.” Yujin told her “Did you really think that I am not aware that I might do girlfriend duties when we told our families that we are dating? Just so you know, I thought about it a lot, like real lot before I sign up on that, Minjoo and I are dating’ form.”

 

Minjoo didn’t say anything and just looked at Yujin still felt guilty for everything.

 

 “And besides who knows, maybe mom will ask you to bake a cake together with her, which is I’m telling you now is harder and frustrating than waiting and driving you home.” Yujin said cheekily “So, why don’t you take that frown off your face and ready yourself for a war that is my mother and her kitchen in the future.”

Minjoo couldn’t help chuckling at the remarks.

“I’m serious.” Yujin said laughing “It’s like going to war.”

“You’re exaggerating.” Minjoo said laughing

“No, I’m not.” Yujin said

“Okay…”  Minjoo said who’s now smiling “I’ll be looking forward to it then.”

“Oh, please don’t.” Yujin said “You’ll be begging me not to let you go on another baking session with my mom after doing it with her one time.” She said then her phone rang,

 

“Speaking of.” Yujin said when she looked at her phone and saw her mom calling.

 

“Hi, Mom…” Yujin greeted when she answered the phone

“Are you still waiting for Minjoo?”

“No, I’m with Minjoo already, we’re on our way.”

“Okay, be careful in driving.”

“I will.”

“Bye.” Her mom said then hung up.

 

“Do you want to talk to Minjoo?” Yujin joked Minjoo’s eyes widen, shaking her head “We were just talking about how good of a baker you are so…”

 

Minjoo grabbed her arm, mouthing “Yujin, stopped.”

Yujin laughed “Okay. I’ll tell her to bring her apron. Bye~” then put down her phone.

 

“You okay?” Yujin asked laughing seeing the horror on Minjoo’s face

“Please tell me you did not just tell your mom that I’ll be baking with her.”

“Why? I thought you said you’d be looking forward to it.”

“I know, but I didn’t say sooner!” Minjoo said “I did—“

“I was just joking.” Yujin said as she burst out laughing “She already hung up before I mention you. You should’ve seen your face.”

“I hate you.” Minjoo said as she walks away from Yujin

Yujin laughs as she follows her.

 

 

When she’s sure that she’s safe, Yena raised her head, eyes widen, hands on from the shocking revelation she just heard.

 

Kim Minjoo has a girlfriend.