Chapter 2-3: Miracle's Nonsense (3)

Cloak and Gunpowder

 

Chapter 2-3
Miracle's Nonsense (3)

 


 

T University Hospital, East Garden.

 

“You’re in a good mood today,” Yena said as she took a seat on the end of the park bench, while her eyes were directed at a young woman on a wheelchair.

 

“Of course, I am! I’m so excited when you said you would accompany me today!” The woman said happily with a wide smile, so wide that her eyes couldn’t be seen.

 

Seeing the woman in front of her eyes smiled, Yena couldn’t contain her own smile. The woman beside her was basically Yena’s world... and she vowed to herself that she’d do everything for that woman.

 

“Yuri, after we done... let’s have lunch together. You can choose any restaurant you want. It’s my treat,” Yena patted the woman, who was called Yuri, on the head. Rather than patting, it could be considered as ruffling, causing a little mess on the latter’s hair.

 

Hearing Yena’s invitation, a pout appeared from Yuri’s lips. She seemed to be disappointed about something. Yena quickly realized the sudden mood change.

 

“Is there anything wrong?” Yena questioned, slightly confused.

 

“Why are you always the one who would pay for the lunch? Isn’t it unfair? Let me pay for you too...” Yuri sulked. Even though Yuri was sulking, Yena let out a laugh instead.

 

“Because I’m older than you, Jo Yuri...” Yena pinched the younger’s cheek, teasing the latter.

 

Their warm conversation was interrupted when Yuri fixed her gaze on one figure, whom Yena knew very well.

 

Kim Chaewon.

 

Yena didn’t know that Chaewon was working on the hospital that Yuri was visiting.

 

“Do you know, Doctor Kim, Yena?” Yuri asked with a sign of excitement.

 

“Mmm, yes... I think I once heard her name,” Yena answered. What a bull. She was not only heard her name, but she was Doctor Kim’s cousin for a day!

 

“Yena, I want to greet her,” Yuri pleaded, while her eyes being fixated at the physician. Of course, Yena didn’t want to meet Chaewon outside their part-time job, but it was impossible to say no to Yuri.

 

“... Of course,” Yena agreed, a smile plastered on her face. She rose from her seat, then reached for the handle of Yuri’s wheelchair, slowly pushing it towards the physician.

 

“Good morning, Doctor Kim!” Yuri greeted the neurologist.

 

The slender figure on a white coat turned her gaze when she heard her name was being called by a familiar voice.

 

“Good morning, Miss Jo,” Chaewon greeted back with a soothing voice and a beautiful smile on her face.

 

Yena averted her eyes, trying to not make any eye contact with Kim Chaewon.

 

“I see that you’re coming with your friend, it must be great to have a caring friend, right?” Chaewon said, her eyes were directed at the woman beside Yuri.

 

“Ah, I should introduce her to you, doctor! Her name is Yena, Choi Yena. She’s umm... you know...” Yuri became slightly flustered when she was about to explain her relationship with the older woman.

 

Chaewon chuckled at Yuri’s sudden expression change.

“I see. Sometimes, it’s truly embarrassing when we’re supposed to explain a relationship with a certain someone to other people,” she said. Chaewon seemed to fully grasp the relationship between Yena and Yuri.

 

The neurologist offered her hand to Yena.

 

“Kim Chaewon. I’m not in charge of Miss Jo Yuri, so rather than her doctor, I refer myself as Miss Jo Yuri’s friend,” Chaewon told the older woman. Her smile was somehow made Yena felt sick.

 

After everything happened on that day, Yena was in amazement that Chaewon didn’t even squint her eyebrows upon seeing her.

 

“I’m Choi Yena, nice to meet you,” Yena responded as her hand reached for Chaewon’s.

 

Chaewon took a look at her wristwatch.

 

“You have an appointment, Doctor Kim?” Yuri asked, slightly disappointed.

 

“Well, not until lunch, I guess.”

 

“Wow, how unusual! You’re usually always fully appointed until night, right?” Yuri couldn’t hide her surprise.

 

“Haha, I just came back from Shiodome, that’s why I don’t have any appointment for now...” Chaewon explained.

 

Yuri’s mouth turned into an O as she heard Chaewon’s explanation.

 

Chaewon and Yuri continued their conversation, while Yena was only listening to them. There were no important topics from their conversation. It was mostly Yuri’s story about her daily life and treatment, which the neurologist listened carefully.

 

In silence, Yena watched the celebrity doctor. Her cold demeanor she often showed whenever they meet was nowhere to be found. Warm smile kept decorating her expression as she listened to Yuri’s stories.

 

She’s a professional.

 

Despite knowing each other, Chaewon’s expression didn’t change when they met. She didn’t even feel awkward after what happened on the previous day. It wasn’t her first time to accompany Yuri to the hospital, but she had no idea that there was a celebrity doctor working there. Even when Hitomi mentioned Yuri in their first meeting, Chaewon didn’t react.

 

“Yuri, it’s already the time for our appointment,” Yena said, cutting the pleasant conversation between Yuri and Chaewon.

 

“Ah, yeah you’re right. It seems I should excuse myself, Doctor Kim! See you later!” Yuri bid a farewell to the neurologist.

 

“See you later, Miss Jo,” still with a smile on her face, Chaewon also bid farewell to the woman on the wheelchair. “... and you too, Miss Choi.”

 

Shocked that Chaewon called her name,  Yena widened her eyes. The physician’s smile made Yena forced herself to let out a smile, resulting in a really awkward one.

 

Perhaps, instead of working as a neurologist, Chaewon should try her luck to be an actress. Yena bet that she’d become a really good one.

 

Pushing Yuri’s wheelchair, Yena felt relieved because she finally could leave Chaewon. Yuri’s mood was even better after having a talk with the neurologist.

 

“... How can the two of you know each other?” Yena questioned, feeling utterly curious about the beginning of Yuri and Chaewon’s friendship.

 

“Hmm... how was it again? I’m befriending her since she was a medical intern in this hospital... around five years ago?” Yuri answered, not really sure with her own answer.

 

How the hell she could be a medical intern when she was 20? Even Yena didn’t continue her study to any tertiary education, she knew that it’s impossible under the current Japanese medical education.

 

“It’s unbelievable that she could be a neurologist in such a young age. Isn’t she younger than me?” Yena expressed her disbelief. Hearing Yena, the woman on the wheelchair laughed.

 

“That’s why she’s famous, I think. Everyone here said that she’s a prodigy, since she inherited her parents’ DNA,” Yuri explained.

 

“Her parents?”

 

“She’s the only daughter of Professor Kim Jaejin, one of the most renowned medical scientist. Her mother is also a fellow scientist, if I’m not mistaken,” Yuri told Yena the brief explanation of Chaewon’s background.

 

She really lives in a different world from most people... Yena thought.

 

“You’re surprisingly well informed about her.”

 

“I’m her friend, after all!” Yuri exclaimed proudly. Yena let out a faint smile upon hearing the former’s claim.

 

Come to think about it, Yena knew nothing about her comrades. Not that she cared, but wasn’t their part-time job needs trust from every member? How could they trust each other if they didn’t know anything about their comrades?

 

The two women arrived at the neurological clinic of the hospital. The nurses there greeted Yuri warmly. All of them seemed friendly, partially because Yuri was a regular patient. One of them kindly guided Yuri and Yena to the consultation room for the appointment.

 

Stopping in front of the door, Yena was unsure whether or not she should enter the room.

 

“Maybe I should stay outside,” Yena said.

 

“Eh? Are you sure?” Yuri raised her head, trying to look at Yena.

 

“Mmm, yeah... It’ll be weird if I’m coming inside. I’m not even your family...” Yena scratched her cheek and laughed awkwardly.

 

After Yuri entered the consultation room, Yena sat on the nearest bench. Her gaze wandered around, before finally she took an interest in posters that decorating the corridor. It was no other than Kim Chaewon, her second cousin for a day. Seeing so many posters featuring the prodigy, Yena finally realized how popular Chaewon was. No wonder everyone cheered for her when she attended the party the other day.

 

Leaning to the wall, the gangster reached for her phone, sending a text to one of her men.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“... Yena... Yena!” Yuri called the name of the woman who was sleeping on the bench. She opened her eyes as she heard the voice of her lover.

 

“You should at least close your mouth, you know,” The woman on the wheelchair giggled after witnessing her girlfriend’s cute sleeping face.

 

“It’s not like I have a consciousness to do that,” Yena protested. Her protest didn’t stop the younger woman’s giggle, though. Usually, Yena would frown at anyone who makes fun of her, but Yuri was entirely different. She didn’t even mind making herself suffer just to make Yuri’s smile...

 

Yena stood up and reached for the handle of Yuri’s wheelchair. Staring at her lover’s head, a faint smile crept on the gangster’s face.

 

“It’s lunch time. What do you want to eat?” Yena asked.

 

“No! You’re the one who decide this time!” The woman on the wheelchair pouted.

 

Seeing the funny expression Yuri had from above, Yena’s lips curved into a wide smile.

 

“Understood, your Majesty,” Yena said softly as she pushed the wheelchair forward.

 

The two women arrived at a yakiniku restaurant. For an unknown reason, Yena had been craving to eat some grilled meat lately, so when Yuri let her pick the restaurant, she enthusiastically brought the latter to a famous yakiniku restaurant chain.

 

“I’ve been wanting to eat yakiniku for a while!” Yuri exclaimed happily as Yena brought her inside the restaurant.

 

Yena responded at Yuri’s words only with a laugh. It’s always be like that. The two of them seemed to share so many things in common. Perhaps they didn’t have to do any verbal communications since they always think the same.

 

Yeah, it would be great if this continue forever...

 

You wish.

 

 

 

 

In front of the computer in a certain office, a woman with a long jet-black hair tied in ponytail sighed. She silently cursed the user of the damned computer. Impatiently, she input any commands she should to. The woman behind her folded her arms, seeing the former’s work.

 

“I can’t believe someone like you are using computer sloppily,” the woman in ponytail complained.

 

“I’m not an IT expert, I’m a prosecutor,” the latter argued.

 

Letting out another long sigh, the former shook her head.

 

“You should at least learn the basic.”

 

“I’m paying you to fix the computer, Kang Hyewon, not to throw complain any complain at me,” the latter furrowed her eyebrows, annoyed at Hyewon’s complain.

 

“Yeah, yeah, okay. But really, I was surprised that you really called that number to fix this, Miss Kwon,” Hyewon let out a chuckle as she input more commands.

 

“What do you mean? This is urgent, and the only IT technician name card I have is the card with that number, so I give it a try,” Miss Kwon, Kwon Eunbi to be exact, gave out her reason.

 

“It’s been a long time since the last time someone asked me to fix their computer,” Hyewon said. Eunbi might not see it, but a smile with a hint of sadness curved on Hyewon’s plump lips.

 

“Well... I’m also surprised that the technician I called is you,” Eunbi said.

 

 

“Say, do you believe in miracles?” Hyewon asked, her fingers were still busy inputting commands.

 

“What’s with the sudden question?” Eunbi walked closer to Hyewon, the latter’s eyes were still locked on the monitor.

 

“Just curious,” Hyewon replied shortly.

 

“Then I have no obligation to answer that question,” Eunbi refused to give an answer.

 

“Let me change the question. You called that number, and I came here to fix your computer... Is that a miracle? or a merely coincidence?”

 

Eunbi fell silent for a while after hearing Hyewon’s question. She didn’t understand why Hyewon asked her such a question. The only sound in the office was the sound of the clacking keyboard.

 

The prosecutor then opened to say something.

 

“It’s done!” Hyewon exclaimed, taking off her hands from the keyboard. while stretching her body. Eunbi’s answer for Hyewon’s question immediately gone from her head.

 

“Eh?”

 

“I’ll send the invoice later. Can you give me your email address?” Hyewon turned back, facing the dumbfounded prosecutor. The younger woman handed a pen and a piece of paper that came out from her pocket. Eunbi retrieved them and start to write her address.

 

“By the way, I wonder why a prosecutor like you are in a private office on working hour? Shouldn’t you work in public prosecutor’s office?” Hyewon rose from the chair.

 

“It’s none of your business,” Eunbi gritted her teeth. She handed back the paper and the pen to the owner.

 

“Maybe you should stop wearing that badge,” Hyewon pointed at a tiny shiny badge on Eunbi’s blazer. She showed a grin to the older woman. Eunbi grasped a playfulness in Hyewon’s eyes as the grin on the latter’s face grew wider.

 

 

Before Eunbi could respond at Hyewon’s words, the entrance door opened with a loud bang.

 

“Babe, finally I got three days off!” A woman shouted as she walked pass the entrance. A bright smile was all over her face. Her facial expression changed quickly when she noticed that there was someone she wasn’t familiar with.

 

“... Who are you?” She asked, her eyes were blinking rapidly.

 

“S-she came here to fix my c-computer!” Eunbi answered for Hyewon, trying to not reveal anything about the technician.

 

“Oh... Yeah, I kind of remember that you once said something about your computer being slow...” The woman said.

 

“... I should get going now. Thank you for using my service, Ma’am!” Hyewon excused herself, leaving the building.

 

 

Hyewon looked at the paper containing Eunbi’s email address. In her opinion, the prosecutor had a neat and beautiful handwriting. She put the paper back inside her pocket, thinking that it might be useful later.

 

“Kwon... Kwon... Kwon...” She repeatedly muttered Eunbi’s surname. It sounded funny to her, and somehow she liked to pronounce it.

 

Hyewon looked at the iconic giant screen located in Shibuya. She was supposed to meet her clients that evening. There were three of them, on the same district, but different places and times. She felt lucky since she didn’t have to spend so much money for transportation.

 

The gigantic screen was showing the charismatic idol, Jang Wonyoung. Her smile was bright, much brighter than both of Hyewon’s past and future. The woman kept looking at the gigantic screen for a while, as if she was hypnotized by the girl on the screen.

 

Drowning in the idol's image, Hyewon jolted when her phone suddenly vibrated. She took it out and read the display, then sighed when she found who was calling her. Still, she received the call, since she knew that she should.

 

“... Hyewon?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I miss you.”

 

“We just met three days ago.”

 

“I want to meet you right now.”

 

“...” Hyewon prevented herself to let out any words.

 

“Ginza,” the woman continued.

 

“Too far, I have some business now,” Hyewon refused.

 

No response.

 

 

 

“... Starting now, you don’t have to do it anymore, Hyewon. You won’t know what will happen to your former clients if they try contacting you,” the woman on the other side said calmly after a long interval.

 

Hyewon got goosebumps just by hearing it. She knew better than anyone that Sakura would do anything she had said.

 

“...Where?” Hyewon agreed to meet the older girl.

 

“The usual.”

 

“Okay, I’ll be there soon,” Hyewon quickly ended the call.

 

She once again looked at the gigantic screen. Jang Wonyoung was dancing gracefully inside the screen. She averted her gaze away, opening her phone and messaging all of her clients she was supposed to meet, telling that she couldn’t meet them that night, and could never be.

 

Hyewon stood in front of a certain 5-stars hotel’s lobby, waiting for someone. A middle-aged man approached her and gave her an access card to the room she was supposed to enter.

 

“Young lady is waiting for you,” he said a quite obvious thing to the woman.

 

“Thank you,” Hyewon thanked the man.

 

The man was the only one who knows about Sakura and Hyewon’s relationship. As far as Hyewon remembers, he was Sakura’s most trusted person.

 

Arriving at a certain floor, Hyewon walked directly to the room where she was told by the message Sakura sent earlier. The room was located at the end of the long corridor. Sakura always choose the farthest room possible with no one passing in front of the room. Personal preference, maybe?

 

Well, Hyewon was sure that it was because of the noise Sakura makes when they have their steamy session, though.

 

Using the card she was given before, Hyewon entered the room. She found the not-that-young lady she had a secret relationship with was sleeping peacefully on the bed, covered with white blanket. Only half of her face was shown.

 

Hyewon hates to admit it, but she likes to see Sakura’s sleeping face. Seriously, no one could ever deny Sakura’s beauty. She caressed the sleeping woman’s head gently, as if the latter was fragile...

 

A glimpse of image of a young girl sleeping suddenly popped out on Hyewon’s head. Her hand stopped caressing the sleeping one out of shock.

 

Slowly, the slumbering woman opened her eyes, finding the woman of her dream caressing her, something she would never expect.

 

“... Hyewon...?” Sakura called for her romantic interest’s name.

 

“... Y-yeah?” Hyewon reacted, quickly pulled her hand away from Sakura’s hair.

 

“Suddenly going soft at me?” Sakura smirked. Too bad that Hyewon was unable to see her smirk since her lips were covered by the blanket.

 

“No... it’s just...” Hyewon didn’t continue her words.

 

Sakura woke up and pulled the younger woman in to her embrace.

 

“Tell me, what’s the matter?” Sakura asked, her fingers stealthily running on Hyewon’s shoulder.

 

“It’s... nothing...” Hyewon answered.

 

“You’re usually good at lying... but I guess today is different?” Sakura ran her luscious lips on Hyewon’s cheeks.

 

“I think... I remember something that I shouldn’t...”

 

“And you worry about it?” Sakura’s lips stopped midway.

 

“It’s not like that,” Hyewon shook her head. Sakura released her embrace from Hyewon.

 

“Look at me, Hyewon,” Sakura commanded the younger woman. Nothing happened. It seemed Hyewon ignored the former’s command.

 

Sakura grabbed the other woman’s face with both of her hands and forced the latter to make an eye contact with her.

 

“You really never look straight at me except when we’re at it, huh?” Sakura said with a concerned expression on her face. A glimpse of sadness was shown on her eyes.

 

When was the last time Hyewon saw that expression coming from Sakura’s face?

 

“Hyewon, I once called that number to get my computer fixed. Then, you came to fix it. For you, what is that thing called?” Sakura asked.

 

It was not the first time Sakura asked that question. In fact, she asked about it quite often, and of course Hyewon never gave her the answer. The latter never really thought about it until Eunbi called the number today.

 

“... A coincidence? Or...” Hyewon hesitantly gave her answer.

 

“Or?”

 

“... A miracle?”

 

“Boo-boo! You’re wrong, Hyewon,” The older woman’s lips grew wider, as she gradually showed her teeth.

 

“It’s called destiny.”

 

Without any further notice, Sakura pushed Hyewon down to the bed and captured the latter’s lips with her own, locking them in a deep kiss. Well, the older woman knows how to wake Hyewon’s instinct better than anyone else.