Chapter 2-1: Miracle's Nonsense (1)

Cloak and Gunpowder

 

 

Chapter 2-1
Miracle's Nonsense (1)

 



 

 

      Minjoo was preparing for the dinner when Yujin was getting ready to work. Minjoo glanced at the younger woman sadly, disappointed that she’d sleep alone again for a night.

 

“Is there really no one that can replace you, Yujin?” She asked at her housemate.

 

“Uhm, I’m afraid not, Minjoo. I can’t do anything. There are not enough workers in the nursing home, so I should fill in,” Yujin said, a bitter smile was on her face.

 

“We’ll meet tomorrow before the dinner. I can’t wait until that time,” Yujin walked towards the genkan, and Minjoo followed her behind.

 

“Take care, Yujin,” Minjoo said, waving her hand at her housemate.

 

“You too. Rest well so you won’t late for your part-time tomorrow! See you tomorrow!” Yujin waved her hand back at Minjoo, stepping out from their cramped apartment.

 

      Yujin ran to the nearest station from the apartment. Slightly panting, she finally arrived at the station, smiling while looking at the platform display. The train she was supposed to ride was not yet coming, and she could relax for a bit, walking slowly to the gate and took the escalator to the platform. When she arrived at the platform, the announcer announced that the train was coming.

 

      No, she wouldn’t head to her workplace in Sugamo that night, instead she was heading to Kanda, the place where she and her colleagues would meet up. Soon as the train arrived at Shinjuku Station, she hopped down the train and slightly running down through the stairs, heading towards toilet what wasn’t far from the stairs. Changing her outfit to a white shirt and black pants, Yujin climbed up to stairs different from the earlier one,  transferring to another line.

 

      Maybe, Yujin was lucky that day. The train with an orange stripe on it came just in time when Yujin arrived at the platform. She hopped on to the train that would bring her to Kanda soon.

 

      Two of Yujin’s colleagues, Hyewon and Yena were already arrived at the meeting place when Yujin showed herself there. She let out a sigh, relieved that she wasn’t the last to come. Hyewon giggled when she caught Yujin’s action.

 

“You won’t be the last as long as Chaewon is still one of us,” Hyewon said, then breaking the chocolate bar she was holding with her teeth. The cool breeze was seeping inside Yujin’s skin to her bones, making the youngest shivered.

 

“Why can’t we wait inside? I need Eunbi’s office to get some warmth,” Yujin wrapped herself tightly with her jacket.

 

“Too risky, she said,” Yena scoffed.

 

“At least, not on the rooftop!” Yujin protested. Yes, they were on the rooftop of the office building where Eunbi's office was located.

 

“We can’t do anything about it,” Hyewon said calmly while looking at her watch. “Will Chaewon come in five minutes? Let’s make a bet.”

 

      No one responded at Hyewon’s challenge. Not that they didn’t want to, but no one was able to predict when Chaewon would come every time they meet up.

 

“Can’t we do this without her?” Yena asked. She was being impatient.

 

“I’d like to, but... she’s the one who have the access to the party. Also, she’s the only one with a car...” Hyewon said.

 

“But, Yena also has a car, right?” Yujin turned her gaze to Yena.

 

“My old van won’t convince anyone at the party that I’m invited,” Yena said, frowning at how dumb Yujin question was.

 

      A sound of footsteps were getting closer. Everyone already knew that it must be Chaewon’s since the sound of her footsteps were unique to their ears. As expected from shoes wore by a celebrity doctor, it must be expensive enough to be able to produce a different sound.

 

“You’re late,” Yena protested.

 

“My patient suddenly started telling me about her private matters,” Chaewon said without any remorse. The neurologist was wearing a formal attire, a gray suit with black tie, despite of her feminine figure and face features. She looked at a suitcase beside Hyewon.

 

“That’s all?” She asked. Hyewon just responded at her by a nod.

 

“Kid, bring it to Chaewon’s car,” Yena commanded Yujin. The latter took the suitcase right away, then following Chaewon.

 

      Hyewon and Yena took different routes to the parking lot where Chaewon’s car was parked. The oldest two said that they should do something important first. Yujin silently followed the neurologist, looking at the latter’s slender figure from behind. Yujin sighed at the weird atmosphere, since Chaewon rarely speaks anything to her, and that night was no exception.

 

      Yujin suddenly thought of Minjoo. Her housemate was one of Chaewon’s fan, devoted enough to watch every Chaewon’s appearance on the television. She really wanted to tell Minjoo that she knew the famous neurologist, but she couldn’t. No, she must not tell her.

 

      A sense of guilt developed in Yujin’s heart. She felt guilty for lying at her housemate. The young adult knew that her housemate was worried about her, but she didn’t have any choice. Hitomi promised her that Minjoo would be safe, and Yujin also thought that it’d be better that way. Yujin understood that she couldn’t stay at Minjoo’s side every time, and her capabilities were also limited.

 

      Drowning in her own thought, Yujin almost bumped on Chaewon’s back when the latter stopped walking. They finally arrived at Chaewon’s car. It was a sedan car that was released last year. The doctor gave the care worker a cue to sit on the rear seats. Yujin obeyed with the older woman’s command, throwing herself on the rear seats, with the suitcase on her lap.

 

      Chaewon also entered her own car, sitting on the driver’s seat. Glancing at Yujin through the rear-view mirror, the young neurologist’s lips curved a bit.

 

“Are you still nervous? Today will be our third, and there were no accidents in the previous two. You’ll be okay,” Chaewon said.

 

“Moreover, Hitomi will be there, too.”

 

      Her soothing voice and relaxing words were somehow making the one on the rear seats less nervous. Yujin looked at Chaewon’s face that were reflected on the rear-view mirror, admiring at how beautiful the neurologist is. It was understandable that the public, including Minjoo, admires her so much, for both of her appearance and her brain.

 

      After waiting for a while, Hyewon and Yena approached Chaewon’s car. The usually stoic Chaewon bursted in to laughter when seeing her comrades. Nothing special with Hyewon’s appearance, since she was in her usual attire, but Yena... she was just so different.

 

      That night, Choi Yena who always wears her dignified leather jacket, was wearing a dress.

 

      A pastel pink dress.

 

      Everyone there could see how red Yena’s ears were. She was probably not accustomed to that kind of outfit, counting her usual outfit and position. Hastily, Yena entered the car and sat beside Chaewon on the co-driver’s seat, and Hyewon was also following the former.

 

      Yujin had her jaw dropped upon seeing Yena’s appearance. Her usual intimidating aura was nowhere to be found, instead, a graceful woman was sitting beside Chaewon.

 

“If this is our first meeting, I’ll fall for you,” Chaewon said, slightly mocking the woman in dress beside her. Yena glared at the neurologist, offended by the latter’s words.

 

“It never crossed my mind that Hitomi would give us such an outfit. I was lucky since I won from Yena in rock-paper-scissor,” Hyewon said.

 

      The youngest somehow envied the other three since they were either in same age, or in Chaewon’s case, a close age-gap. Yujin was three or four years younger than the rest, so it was kind of hard to her to blend in to the group. They even could address Honda Hitomi, their “master”, casually like that. Hyewon argued that there was no need to address Hitomi with honorific, since they were older. Unfortunately in Yujin’s case, it was different.

 

      They were heading to the mansion of Shimizu family, the owner of Shimizu Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the biggest pharmaceutical company in Japan. They recently announced that they were successful to produce a prototype medicine to completely stop the progress of prion diseases. For that occasion, the family decided to hold a party to show the prototype medicine to the world and celebrate their success.

 

      Chaewon was invited to the party because of her profession. Having the celebrity doctor attending their party, Shimizu was certain that it’d boost their confidence and trust from the public.

 

“Drop us in Akebonobashi, me and Yujin will take the subway there,” Hyewon said. Yujin’s eyebrows creased, surprised at Hyewon’s choice of station.

 

“Why not Shinjuku instead?” Chaewon asked.

 

“Too crowded. We’ll take the subway from there,” Hyewon explained.

 

“Okay,” Chaewon agreed even without asking for Yujin’s opinion, making the latter felt out of place for a bit.

 

      Chaewon’s sedan stopped near one of Akebonobashi Station’s entrance, dropping both Hyewon and Yujin there.

 

“See you soon! Have a nice party with the pretty lady beside you!” Hyewon winked at the driver, only to be responded by a scoff from the later. “Ah, don’t forget to arrive there on time!”

 

      Before continuing their journey to Chōfu, where the Shimizu family’s mansion located, they need to spend some time elsewhere. Didn’t have any idea where to go, Chaewon ended up spending one hour of driving around Tokyo before heading to Chōfu. Silence filled the interior of the car.

 

 

 

...But still I can't leave you, because you're the one that I love the most...

 

 

 

Maybe not that quiet since the radio was .

 

“You’ll be my relative for a night,” Chaewon said, breaking the silence.

 

“Whatever,” Yena said, sounded that she was still upset with the result of rock-paper-scissor between herself and Hyewon.

 

“Please do your task accordingly. I don’t want my reputation to be tarnished,” Chaewon glanced at Yena, slightly hoping that the woman beside her wouldn’t do something careless.

 

“Understood, Doctor Kim,” Yena responded sarcastically, slightly annoying the doctor. Chaewon never liked it when someone called her Doctor Kim outside her profession.

 

      After around 30 minutes of drive, Chaewon and Yena arrived at the residence of Shimizu family. The security guard politely asked Chaewon for the invitation before letting them entering the residence.

 

      When Chaewon and Yena stepped inside the mansion, everyone turned their attention to them. It was predictable, since Chaewon was the one everyone waited for.

 

“Welcome, Doctor Kim Chaewon. It’s an honor to have you in today’s party. Everyone, please give a loud applause for Doctor Kim Chaewon!” The head of Shimizu family and also the CEO of Shimizu Pharmaceuticals Inc., greeted Chaewon and announcing her attendance to everyone. Everyone applauded at the famous doctor, slightly making the neurologist uncomfortable.

 

      Chaewon was slightly uncomfortable with the attention that was directed at her. Yena was also not expecting that the woman beside her was really famous. Soon, people already gathered around Chaewon and Yena.

 

“Doctor Kim, is this beautiful lady happens to be your girlfriend?” A man around thirty asked.

 

“No, she’s my relative. I don’t want to be alone in this kind of party so I asked her to come with me,” Chaewon let out a charming smile, while looking at Yena with affection. Yena smiled back at her “relative” to ensure everyone that they were related.

 

      Before everyone could ask who’s the name of the Chaewon’s “relative”, Chaewon quickly pulled Yena out of the crowd, telling everyone that they wanted to greet Mr. Shimizu personally. They were lucky, Mr. Shimizu was delighted enough to approach them first.

 

      For Mr. Shimizu, Chaewon’s attendance would be a great publicity for their company, since the famous young neurologist never attended this kind of party before. He was fortunate, truly fortunate...

 

“I never thought that you’d come even though we sent you an invitation. You even bring your girlfriend with you!” Mr. Shimizu said with an excitement.

 

“The pleasure is mine, Mr. Shimizu. It’s a great honor to be invited to your party and be the part of the history in humanity,” Chaewon smiled at the prideful man. “But, unfortunately, you have a wrong guess. She’s my relative,”  Chaewon chuckled.

 

“Oh, really? I’m so sorry to say something rude,”  he said then let out a loud laugh. “What’s your name, Miss?”

 

      Before Yena could answer the question (she was supposed to not to, after all), a female voice called Chaewon from behind.

 

“Are you Doctor Kim Chaewon? Finally, I can meet you! I’ve been your fan since your first appearance in television!” The woman said with smile plastered on her face.

 

“Oh, Miss Hitomi! So, you’re Doctor Kim’s fan? Today must be our lucky day,” Mr. Shimizu exclaimed with a loud laugh following his words.

 

      Chaewon turned her back, now facing Hitomi who was standing right in front of her. The neurologist was stunned for a while, captivated by Hitomi’s dazzling appearance that night. The daughter of Honda Yutaka, one of the most respected businessman in Japan wouldn’t disappoint, right?

     

 

 

“You’re so lucky, Doctor Kim. Miss Hitomi isn’t yet engaged to anyone, and she seldom attends party. Why don’t you try your luck with her?” Mr. Shimizu whispered at Chaewon’s ears.

 

“Ahem,” Mr. Shimizu cleared his throat. “We’ll show the prototype at 9.30. Until that time, please enjoy the party,” Mr. Shimizu said, then leaving the three women.

 

“The dress looks good on you,” Hitomi grinned upon seeing Yena’s appearance. “I thought Hyewon would be the one who wears it.”

“I don’t get the point why one of us should dress like this,” Yena complained.

 

“Heir of Shimizu family is a womanizer. I need you to seduce him. That way, we might be able to gather some important information from him,” Hitomi explained. “He likes to wear flashy outfit, you’ll find him soon.”

 

      Before Yena could object, Hitomi linked her arm with Chaewon’s. Chaewon, who was stunned earlier suddenly snapped back to reality the moment Hitomi touched her.

 

“Doctor Kim, the music will start soon! Shall we get down and dance?” Hitomi said cheerfully while pulling the neurologist away, leaving Yena dumbfounded.

 

      Guess Yena didn’t have any choice. She scanned the hall, hoping to find a man with flashy outfit. It didn’t take a long time until Yena succeeded at finding him...

 

      The slow music started. Along with everyone, Chaewon and Hitomi walked down to the dance floor, drowning themselves with the music. While dancing, Hitomi repeatedly glancing around the hall to see the situation. Chaewon who already regained her composure, realized that Hitomi kept glancing around.

 

“It’s not your job to look around, it’s mine. All you need to do now is to look at me while we dance,” Chaewon said in a low voice, almost in a whisper. Startled by Chaewon’s sudden words, Hitomi immediately turned to face the former.

 

      The younger felt her heart skipped a beat upon realization at how close their faces were with each other.

 

 


 

 

      Both Hyewon and Yujin arrived at the mansion earlier. They were disguising as part-time waitresses for the party while checking the situation in the mansion. They didn’t even have to search for Chaewon and Yena since Mr. Shimizu announced Chaewon’s attendance. Their task for the night was no other than ensuring that their comrades could safely reach their hands to the target.

 

      Yujin already overheard the conversation of heir of Shimizu family with some people that the prototype medicine will be shown at 9.30. She looked at her watch, hoping that Hyewon could finish her task without any problem. It was already nine but Hyewon wasn’t coming back, and Yujin started to worry.

 

      Looking around, Yujin found Chaewon and Hitomi dancing with almost no distance between their faces. Yujin rolled her eyes, silently cursing Chaewon who seemed to be enjoying her time with Hitomi, their own “master”. Huffing, Yujin decided to go outside, searching for one of her comrades.

 

      Hyewon was in the garden, searching for something. Many people were also there, and most of them were couples enjoying the night view of the garden. Hyewon threw her gaze around, desperately searching for the most important thing for today’s operation. It was already past nine, there was no time left.

 

      From the distance, Hyewon spotted Yujin. The latter gave her a sign that they didn’t have any more time. Hyewon gulped, their plan was failed, caused by her incompetencies...

 

      But no... she could do something inside. Praising her brain, Hyewon let out a smile. That prototype medicine would be on their hands tonight...

 

 

 

 

 

 

“... Hyewon?”

 

 

 

Oh ...