Bubblegum and Colorcodes

Questioning Reality

"OPPA!!"

The sound of excited little fett pit-pattering toward my room made me cringe, and my nose buried itself deeper into the sports magazine I wasn't really reading. Maybe if I looked busy, she'd go away...

No such luck. No suprises either; the fates rarely smiled on me in these situations.

My door flew open, the pile of rubish and dirty socks no match for the odd power toddlers seemed to possess. I followed their strewn trail to the source of my sudden wave of misery and groaned.

"What do you want Mei Sun?"

My sister smiled at me with impecable cuteness, the roses on her cheeks blossoming, and the tiny stars in her chocolate eyes like diamonds. When she saw my opposing scowl she only giggled. How I wishes I could hate that laugh...

Trying was a lost battle though. I made due with faking displeasure. She wasn't fooled so simply, it would seem.

"Umma says you hace to play with me," she chuckled, smug.

"I'm too old to play with you, Mei," I challenged, putting down the magazine. "I'm seven now, I don't have time for baby games anymore."

"But umma said!" She protested, stomping a foot and glaring at me with what was supposed to be an angry expression.

I considered fighting for a moment, weighing my options. It was a small moment... why did she have to be so damn cute?

I sighed and moved to sit on the bed.

"Alright, fine- but only for a little bit!" I warned. That was another battle I was sure to lose.

"Yah!" Mei cheered, sitting on the bed with me. A pink purse in her hand jingled and I glances at it curiously.

"What's that?"

The little devil only snickered, replying with a "You'll see~". That shouls have been my first warning.

She turned away for a moment, the bag ratteling as she triffled through it. I attempted to peek over her shoulder, only to receive a small shove.

"No peeking, Key!" Mai shunned.

I rolled my eyes. So picky... She rummaged through the purse for a few seconds more, my anticipation mounting with every jingle. What was she doing...?

Before I could ask, she turned, a mess of objects in her arms.

"Make overs!!" she squealed in delight, the contents in her arms being deposited haphazardly accross my sheets.

I nearly gagged. Amongst my soccer-themed bedspread lay lipsticks, mascaras, eyeliners, blushes, powders, nailpolishs, hair bands, and eyeshadows- all in multiple shades and colors. How did one little girl obtain so much beauty product? I suspected my mother was to blame...

"No! No way!" I jumped off the bed, "Make up is for girls! I'm a boy, Mei! We don't play with that stuff!"

I turned away, planning to head downstairs, play some videogames or ride my bike... something manly. Yeah... manly.

"B-but, Oppa!" the small sniff froze me in place. "Y-you said th-that you'd p-play with me...!!"

... Damnit all...

A frustrated sigh escaped my lips despite myself, and I turned back, face growing soft.

"Okay, okay... I'll play 'make over' or whatever with you..." I snatched a tissue from my night stand and crawled back onto the bed. "But only this once, okay? Please dont cry, Mei Sun..." I spoke kindly, dabbing at the dew drop tears at the edge of her eyes.

She brightend profoundly, leaning over to hug me. I returned the affection, smile growing.

"So-" she sniffed, pulling away. "What color should we do your nails? pink?"

 

------------------------- Ten Years Later------------------------------

My eyes stared lethargically at my nails, the brush in my hand passing over them in a steady rythm that lulled me into a dream-like state of calm.

Bubblegum Pink... It was my favorite color.

"Kibum?"

I glanced at the door to see my mother, leaning on the threshhold. Her hair was a disaster, and her robe was worn and dirty... yet she still posessed an air of beauty. I felt a small streak of envy.

"Are you almost ready?" She yawned. "School starts in about thirty minutes... It's your first day back. You don't want to be late, right?"

"Do I have to go?" I blinked. "I'm tired..."

My mother sighed and walked away.

"Thirty minutes, Key," was her only response.

I sighed and stood, deciding against fighting it. I examined my nails. Perfect, as usual; yet I was still unsatisfied. That was to be expected though... there was no pleasing the restless mind. Not to mention the  first day of school looming over my shoulder was putting me in a bad mood. The first day back was always a hassle. I assumed today wouldn't be an exception.

Taking my time, I moved toward the closet. My eyes brightened at the sight of my eccentric wardrobe. It was garunteed to have most anything and everything currently in season- each outift (premade and planned accordingly, of course) sorted by color, then by mood. It was a clever system, if I said so myself. And I did.

My fingers filtered skillfully through the clothes, my brain attemptiong to configure what exaclty my emotion was for today.

Tired, for one... but I was always tired these days. Nervous, but that was negative... negativity wasn't my style if it could be avoided. Excitement?

I cocked my head. Excitement... that worked. Now for the color~

 

----------------- At School ----------------------

"Who is that?"

The universal emotion of curiousity and shock intrigued me. It was interesting how such a simple splash of color could attract so many eyes. I flourished in the attention, as was my nature.

I had decided on a favored outfit- baby blue turtle neck with blue jeans, accented with a metallic pink vest and matching boots. My wrist flourished an uncountable number of multi-colored bracelets, each one a chapter in my fabulous life. Or so I told people. Around my neck hung the ever-present ruby-laced heart-shaped locket.

I strutted through the halls of the familiar school confidently, despite hardly knowing the place. The real trick was pretend you knew where you were going. I glanced down at a slip of paper in my vest pocket for my first class.

'Ballroom 1' I smiled. 'Perfect. A bit of dancing to start of my day~"

I took a small second to check a map posted on a wall before heading off. Perhaps today wouldn't be so bad after all.

 

Yaaahhh~ First chapter is up!! .... looked so much longer on six pages of note paper... aw well!

I kind of feel like I half-butted the begining and most of the rest... but oh well o3o Key!!!

Jjong shows up in the next chapter~~ >W<