eighteen

The Sweetest Thing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

EIGHTEEN

 

 

Hyukjae moans, soft and desperate, eyes closed tightly. He’s lying on his stomach and his skin is glistening in the low light, fingers clutching the edge of the table tightly as strong hands glide firmly up his back.

Donghae, on the neighboring massage table, grits his teeth. It’s one thing to hear Hyukjae whimpering in pain and pleasure, it’s totally another to know that the hands drawing those sounds from him belong someone else.

‘You doing okay, Hyukkie?’ he asks, just to draw some of Hyukjae’s attention back to himself.

‘Y-yeah,’ Hyukjae gasps. ‘U-uh, that feels so good-’

Donghae glares at the masseuse and his large, powerful hands until his own masseuse pauses in surprise, seeing as he’s getting more tense rather than less as the massage session proceeds. She digs an elbow into the knot in Donghae’s shoulder and it hurts enough that he almost forgets about Hyukjae lying half- on the table beside his.

‘Hyukjae,’ he gasps, closing his eyes tight and holding one hand out towards the other massage table.

For a long moment, his hand just hangs there, fingers outstretched.

Donghae thinks to himself, , is Hyukjae not ready for this? Is it too soon, does he not want anyone to know they’re together? The staff aren’t stupid though– not many men who are only friends would book the whole place for the afternoon, would get massages together, would have an intimate lunch and be sharing the master suite- Hyukjae must know that- but has Donghae made assumptions again, should he back off-

Then slim fingers are entwining with his, squeezing tighter as knots and stress are massaged out. Donghae opens his eyes, head turned to the side, and sees Hyukjae smile at him before submitting to the firm ministrations of his masseuse again.

They hold hands until the end of the session. Later, they keep their fingers linked as they make their way back to their room. They have an hour or so to relax until they need to think about getting dressed again and heading back to the city, and Donghae drops bonelessly down onto the bed. He feels blissfully relaxed and sleepy. They’ve had hot stone massages as well as the deep tissue ones then Hyukjae had chosen a coconut and lime flower body polish while Donghae had a seaweed detox body wrap. They’ve been served another little meal in the indoor garden while the rain drummed down overhead and the unintrusive staff topped up their wine glasses.

Now Donghae is full, slightly tipsy, and so very much in love with Hyukjae. The other man is dressed in a fluffy white bathrobe and is pink-cheeked from his sauna session, looking dazed and happy and exhausted. He sits beside Donghae on the big, soft bed and lets Donghae gather him up in his arms and pull him down so he can snuggle his nose into that soft, perfect place at the base of his neck.

‘Thank you, Hae,’ Hyukjae says softly, and Donghae feels his lips brush his hair. ‘This- wow. It’s been amazing.’

‘Not as amazing as you,’ Donghae murmurs dreamily, too relaxed and sleepy from the red wine that accompanied their meal to feel awkward. ‘Really, Hyukjae. I can’t believe it. How can someone as perfect and sweet and wonderful as you be real?’

‘Donghae,’ Hyukjae says, shifting a little awkwardly.

‘How am I so lucky?’ Donghae is barely awake as he tilts his face up trustingly so Hyukjae can kiss him.

The last thing he feels before he drifts off is Hyukjae’s soft lips against his own, and the last thing he sees is the troubled gaze of those dark, almond-shaped eyes.

 

 

By the time they wake later and drive back to Seoul, it’s already night. Donghae, in the passenger seat, still feels half-dazed from the afternoon of pampering. Choco is on his lap, snoring loudly, just as exhausted since the staff had taken care of her as well to allow the couple private time (which they had spent sleeping, but Donghae plans to make up for this next time). Her fur is extra fluffy and her stomach is full, and she’s very much enjoying life outside of the tiny sweet shop. After the relative quiet and darkness outside of Seoul, the bright lights of the city feel otherworldly, streaking along with the water on the windscreen.

Hyukjae looks over at Donghae.

‘I thought you were asleep,’ he says, and his hair is extra fluffy too, and Donghae thinks he looks so cute that his heart squeezes, filled to the brim with loving feelings.

‘No,’ he says indignantly, although he had been.

‘Will you be alright to drive home from here?’ Hyukjae asks. It’s later now, and not quite as busy – although being Seoul, the main roads are still quite crowded.

‘Of course,’ Donghae says. He sits up a little straighter and pays more attention to where they are as Hyukjae pulls over. ‘Oh, we’re at your shop?’

‘I just wanted to check on it,’ Hyukjae says apologetically. ‘Do you mind?’

‘No,’ Donghae says. ‘I’ll come too!’

Hyukjae leans over to kiss him on the cheek.

‘It’s okay,’ he says. ‘I’ll be home soon. You go ahead with Choco, alright?’

Donghae is fully awake now.

‘No,’ he says, because it’s dark and the shop is unlit and he’s remembering Hyukjae, huddled and bloody in that hospital chair. ‘Hyukjae-’

‘Listen, it’s fine,’ Hyukjae says. ‘I just need to catch up on some paperwork. I’ve got my phone, I’ll message you every hour, okay?’

‘Every hour?’ Donghae gasps. ‘How long will you be?’

‘Not long,’ Hyukjae says, and Donghae doesn’t believe him at all. But the confectioner has already handed Donghae the car keys and he’s halfway across the street before Donghae catches up.

‘I’ll at least check it’s safe,’ he says, aggrieved.

‘You know I’ve lived here for years, right?’

‘Yes but have you ever been beaten up before?’ Donghae demands. Then he freezes and grabs Hyukjae’s wrist. ‘You haven’t, have you?’

Hyukjae laughs and pulls Donghae with him out of the middle of the street.

‘This really brings out your dominant side, doesn’t it? Where’s my shy Donghae gone?’

‘You’re not answering,’ Donghae mutters. He looks at Hyukjae and tries his best puppy-dog pout. Hyukjae still isn’t used to it and caves quickly.

‘No, I haven’t been,’ he says. ‘But Hae, I can’t mooch off you forever. I’ll have to come back here sometime.’

Donghae stumbles to a stop again, truly aghast.

‘B-but,’ he stammers. ‘H-Hyukkie, I- I thought you lived with me now? You- you don’t like it?’

Hyukjae casts a glance and him and then stops as well, brows creasing with anxiety.

‘Hae,’ he says. ‘It’s always been temporary. I- I can’t afford to share a place like that. And you only took me in on the spur of the moment, I’m not- it’s not like I moved in.’

Donghae blinks.

‘Oh,’ he says.

‘You- you didn’t think you were stuck with me, did you?’ Hyukjae asks him, peering closer to try see his reaction.

Donghae is glad it’s dark.

‘O-of course not,’ he says. ‘It’s- of course it’s too soon if- if you don’t want to, and I- I agree with you totally.’

Hyukjae releases him uncertainly.

‘As long as we’re on the same page,’ he says. ‘I- I don’t want to outstay my welcome, you know?’

You never could, Donghae wants to say, but he’s feeling a bit upset even there’s no reason for it. It’s not like he officially asked Hyukjae to move in, they’ve only been dating one day. Hyukjae’s right, but Donghae is already so comfortable and happy with the other man in his space, he hadn’t thought ahead.

‘Besides,’ Hyukjae says. ‘I would never want you to ask me to live with you just- just out of pity.’

‘I never-’

Hyukjae turns as they get to hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter