Chapter 6

Dance For Me

A/N: Not having an internet connection for almost a week delayed the update. I'm sorry. Please enjoy. Vote and Comment if you can.

 

 

Sakura hears mumbles surrounding her as she gain consciousness. She felt the soft mattress underneath her body and blinked her eyes open. She immediately closed them when dizziness hit her.

“I didn’t know she was sick, Chaeryeong. I swear!” Sakura felt a cold hand touch hers. “If I had known, I wouldn’t have brought her along. Maybe, reschedule. I don’t know. I’m sorry for being careless.”

Sakura tried opening her eyes again. And when she succeeded with just a faint headache, they locked with Chaeyeon’s full of worry eyes. She squeezed her best friend’s hand. “What happened?” she asked with her voice croaking.

Slowly, Chaeyeon helped her sit up. Chaeryeong is in the room with them, ready to assist if needed. Sakura glanced around the room sporting a baby blue wallpaper. The bed she’s lying on is pure white along with fluffy white pillows. A computer desk is placed near the door where Chae-min peeked in concern.

Sakura gestured for the girl to come inside as Chaeyeon started explaining what happened. “You suddenly collapse, Saku-chan, as I was about to show you my room, this is it by the way. The nearest room we could find with a bed. Anyways, how are you feeling?” Chaeyeon asked.

“My head feels heavy but I’ll be okay. Can I have some water though? Thank you.” Sakura patted the space beside her and Chaemin sat with delight. Sakura gave her a smile and looked back at Chaeyeon. She was watching them, her eyes showing how fond she is with her sister. Chaeryeong handed Sakura a glass of water and she gulped it healthily. Feeling the dryness in disappear.

Chaeyeon took the glass from her and gave it back to Chaeryeong then says, “ Why didn’t you tell me you were not feeling well?” Sakura looked at their hands, still intertwined, the way Chaeyeon uses her thumb to caress her hand calmed her but she still doesn’t know how to explain the reason for her collapse was unknown to her. Memory lapse, perhaps? And she doesn’t want to mention her dream to Chaeyeon and possibly weird her out by speculating she was the girl.

“I’m—I’m sorry, Jjaeyeon. I forgot I was tired because I was so excited.”

Chaeyeon sighed, her grip on Sakura’s hand tightening. Her voice was strained when she spoke. “Please, please next time tell me how you are feeling. Okay? You got me so worried, Saku-chan.”

Sakura felt bad for lying to her best friend and for making her worry. She gave Chaeryeong a glance. She nodded but her eyes were intense as if juggling between feeling concern for Sakura and feeling annoyed for making her noona worried. Chaeryeong gently grabbed Chaemin’s hand. Sakura managed to give the young girl her polite pretty smile before they disappear behind the door.

Turning back to Chaeyon, Sakura pushed herself up to kneel and wrapped her arms around her best friend’s shoulder. “I promise I won’t make you worry again. Though, I think that’s impossible.”

Chaeyeon moved away from Sakura’s embrace to give her a questioning look.

“You worry, because you love me too much,” said Sakura with a huge teasing grin.

Chaeyeon turned pink for a second before she tackled Sakura down to the bed. She began tickling the woman filling the room with boisterous laughter and begging for her to stop. “That’s right, I love you too much.”

“Stop, Jjae! Haha!—I can’t take it—haha!—anymore please.” Sakura made a full twist, ending on her stomach. Chaeyeon did stop and lied on top of her for a second, her labored breath hitting against the shell of Sakura’s ear. The same heat on her lower abdomen resurfaced. Suddenly, she wanted Chaeyeon closer, much closer. But Chaeyeon rolled down beside her.

“But Saku-chan,” Chaeyeon started. Sakura still hasn’t moved an inch. “You love me too much too.” There was a hint of tease in Chaeyeon’s voice but Sakura caught the slight uncertainty. She sat up, supporting herself with one arm.

“That’s true and never doubt that.”

They stared at each other silently. The sunlight passing through the window hit Chaeyeon’s face perfectly as she lie down on the bed, her hair creating a kaleidoscope. She’s so radiant, Sakura suddenly had this intense desire to touch her. But most of all, she hoped that Chaeyeon was the one, in her dreams. And she was going to find it out.

“You’re always so beautiful, Saku-chan.” Chaeyeon whispered, her hand raising to cup her cheek. Sakura felt her heart skipped. Her eyelashes fluttered and she leaned against the warmth of Chaeyeon’s hand.

“You’re the most gorgeous,” said Sakura and smirked.

“You’re amazing, ” Chaeyeon smiled back.

“Are you a human? Your beauty is out of this world.”

Chaeyeon visibly blushed but fought back. “God not only made you beautiful but your personality is captivating as well.”

“You’re so beautiful, I could ki—”

“Noona Chaeyeon! Dad’s here!” Chaeryeong paused with her hand on the doorknob. She gave both of them a questioning look before repeating what she said. Chaeyeon kicked herself out of the bed and held her hand out to Sakura.

Sakura stared at Chaeyeon’s hand for a second before taking it and she let her eyes travel Chaeyeon’s body upwards. They stopped at her chest, they were raising up and down. Sakura stood up using Chaeyeon’s hand as a leverage then placed hers at Chaeyeon’s collarbone, near her chest.

“Saku-chan?”

Chaeyeon’s heart pounded fast against her palm.

 

***

“How are you feeling, Sakura-ssi?”

“I feel well, Sir.” Sakura smiled as she pet Chaeri who had melted in her lap. The dog greeted her with its tail wagging and never left Sakura’s presence ever since. Chaeyeon tried taking Chaeri once but she(?) just returned to Sakura’s lap. She headed to the kitchen with a pout.

Chaeyeon appeared later, carrying plates and utensils. She placed it on the coffee table along with the snacks and drinks that Chaeyeon’s father had brought. Sakura’s eyes glowed as she scan through them. Blueberry Cheesecake, Macarons, Meringue, and Cold Tea to balance the sweetness.

Chaeyeon sat down beside her. “What do you want?” she asked.

“All of them.”

Chaeyeon shook her head before obeying, putting generous amount of each on a plate before giving to Sakura. She then moved one grande sized plastic cup of tea in front of Sakura before proceeding to make plates for the others. Sakura watched, feeling proud inside. Chaeyeon's always thinking about others before herself. Then Sakura decided to make a plate for her.

Chaeyeon looked at her in surprise when Sakura gave her a serving of each. She smiled softly and took it. “Thanks, Saku-chan.”

A few hours later, they were saying good bye to Chaeyeon’s father and sisters including Chaeri. The dog gave Sakura a few kiss- on the face and when Chaeyeon least expected it, Chaeri ran to her, pawing her thigh. She picked Chaeri up and the dog continue to give her kiss- as well.

“Come again someday, Unnie,” said Chaeryeong. Sakura nodded and patted Chaemin’s head.

“I will. Take care.”

Chaeyeon led Sakura to the Lee Cafe. The sky had turned dark blue with a hue of the sunset. It was truly a beautiful day and Sakura hoped it last. A bell rang when they opened the door of the cafe. Chaeyeon’s mom brightened when she saw them and immediately gestured them to come closer.

“I heard the news, are you feeling okay now, Sakura-ssi?” Chaeyeon’s mom asked. Her face scrunched in a way a worried mother would do.

“Yes, ma’am. No need to worry.” Sakura smiled and observed the insides of the shop. It was modernized with the pleasant color combination of the gray wall and finished wood. Yellow lights are greater in amount than white lights. A few people sat on comfortable looking couch, having their leisure time. Even plants were spread around evenly.

“We would like to stay, Eomma but we have to catch the subway before it gets too cramped,” said Chaeyeon giving her mother both kisses on the cheek over the counter.

Chaeyeon’s Mom sighed with a hint of sadness. Sakura almost begged Chaeyeon to stay. Her gaze fleeted to the picture frame behind the counter, without noticing Chaeyeon’s Mom had asked her. Chaeyeon's Momo, however, noticed Sakura’s divided attention and glanced behind.

“Oh! That’s Chaeyeon-ah! That picture was taken way back when we visited Japan.”

Sakura squinted her eyes. Even when she can only vaguely see the girl in her dreams, she was shook out of her certainty when Chaeyeon looked different from the dancing dream girl. Sakura decided to start calling the girl DDG. 

Chaeyeon has a short hair in the picture and she vividly remembers the DDG’s long hair being the most captivating.

“Saku-chan? Hey, are you still feeling dizzy?” Chaeyeon’s voice snapped her out of her reverie.

“She must be stunned by your cuteness, Chaeyeon,” said Chaeyeon’s mom, giggling to herself. Then the bell rang signaling a costumer. “Take care, my girls. Chaeyeon, look out for Sakura, Sakura look out for my baby Chaeyeon too.”

Sakura gave her a decisive nod and smiled. As they head for the exit, she heard Chaeyeon mumble, “We always do.”

***

“Did you have fun?” Chaeyeon asked as they stood facing each other inside the subway train. Even with all that hasty good byes they still got caught up by the rush hours. They were lucky to have the spot near the door that allows them to easily climb out later. Standing very close, Chaeyeon’s sweet breath fanned Sakura face.

“A lot. Your family is nice. Chaeri too,” she said, forming a subconscious smile as she recap the day inside her head.

Chaeyeon chuckled, holding onto the hand grip. “I think Chaeri enjoyed you too much.”

“I enjoyed Chaeri too. I’ve always wanted a dog when I was a kid but my mother is allergic to them.”

“Well, you can always visit Chaeri if you want to.” Chaeyeon clutched unto the railing beside Sakura when someone bumped on her back. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, are you?” Sakura asked and glanced over Chaeyeon’s shoulder. People faking obliviousness when they bumped on someone unintentionally, sometimes intentionally. “Should we switch?” Sakura back was facing the door, no room for someone to crash on her.

“No way. I’m fine Saku-chan, really.”

Sakura knows that Chaeyeon is trying to protect her. She knows, herself, that her lithe body wouldn’t be better at withstanding the momentum of other people. She leaned forward and rested her head on Chaeyeon’s shoulder. She let out a heavy sigh at the contentment she felt. “Sleep over tonight?” she asked.

“Whatever you want.”

Sakura turned her head and gently lay a kiss on Chaeyeon’s neck.

***

Sakura plopped down on Chaeyeon’s bed. She turned sideways and watch Chaeyeon double lock the door and turn off every light except for the lamp shade beside the bed. “How old were you when you went to Japan?”

“About six, why?”

Sakura scrunched her brows and scooted to the side when Chaeyeon came near. Too young, can’t be.

“Just curious…”

Chaeyeon covered them both with the fluffy blanket and wiggled around to turn off the lamp shade. Then it was very quiet. With their breaths the only thing audible and the occasional cars passing by the building.

“Do you think… that, we could’ve met?” Sakura whispered. Her eyes haven’t adjusted to the darkness yet so she was unsure if Chaeyeon’s awake or capable of listening to her.

A few seconds passed before Chaeyeon replied. “I don’t think so. Never visited, Hakata.”

Mixed feeling went through Sakura. She was surprised and elated that Chaeyeon remembered where she came from, having said that on the first time they met. But then she was disappointed. She never left Hakata through out her childhood, so it’s impossible that Chaeyeon is DDG. Her nose suddenly sting. She really wanted Chaeyeon to be DDG, because it only made sense for her to be DDG. She was very sure until now.

“I s-ee,” she cringed when her voice cracked. She tried so hard to stop herself from sniffling but failed.

“Are you okay, Saku-chan?” Chaeyeon was instantly sitting up. Leaning over Sakura's body. Sakura turned around and faced the wall.

“Yeah. Just inhaled some dust.” Sakura knows that was close to being impossible. Chaeyeon is a very neat person but she had no other excuse to pull. “I’m fine, very sleepy. Good night.” She closed her eyes and forced herself to fall asleep.

She lied awake for several seconds. All of a sudden, Chaeyeon draped her arm around her waist and spooned her. Then she felt a soft kiss on her hair. She grabbed Chaeyeon’s hand and pulled her closer.

“Good night, Saku-chan... No matter how we met, I’m just glad we did.”

***

Monday came fast and Sakura was cleaning her bag when she came upon the love letter once again, forgetting it, once again. She hit her forehead using it for a couple of times before finishing her task.

She arrived at the studio early. Having a mission to do so. She needed to talk to Chaeyeon about the letter before she forget again. She was sitting in the middle of the studio, tupperwares already out of her bag when the door opened and a sleepy Chaeyeon emerged.

“Wah! You’re very early today, Saku-chan.”

“I’ve got something that needs your opinion.” Sakura patted the space beside her and Chaeyeon quickly obeyed. She rummaged her bag for the letter and paused. Chaeyeon’s citrus smell made her look up. She noticed Chaeyeon’s hair was still wet from shower. She placed her bag down and and knelt up. “Good morning,” she said before embracing Chaeyeon.

“I concur,” Chaeyeon chuckled and squeezed Sakura. She pulled back and ask, “So what is it?”

Sakura immediatly plucked the letter from the hidden pocket inside her bag. “This,” she handed it to Chaeyeon. Who stared at quizzically.

“It’s a love letter, Jjaeyeon.”

“For me?” Chaeyeon’s cheeks blossomed in pink. Sakura almost hesitated to correct her.

She laughed uneasily. “No, for me… from a girl.”

“Oh. Okay.” Sakura noticed that Chaeyeon had moved back from embarrassment. She opened the letter and covered her face as she read it. “They seem… nice. And genuine.”

“That’s it? You don’t think–you don’t think it’s weird?” Sakura grabbed Chaeyeon’s hand and brought it down to gauge her best friend’s expression. She was still blushing but her eyebrows were now slightly furrowed. Then her eyes averted to Sakura.

“You think it’s weird?” she asked with her eyes boring into Sakura.

“No! O-Of course not. I mean, you can love whoever you want.”

Chaeyeon hummed and gave the letter back to Sakura. “Then, I think you don’t need my opinion. What are you gonna do about it, by the way?”

Sakura shrugged and put the letter inside her bag. Then she started opening the tupperwares and pouted as she thinks about her answer. She gave Chaeyeon a pair of chopsticks. “I don’t know. I mean I have to give them a reply somehow, right? I can’t just leave them waiting for nothing.”

“Do you think you can like this person back?” Chaeyeon asked readying to break her joint chopsticks in half.

“Maybe.”

One chopstick flew. Chaeyeon smiled at her sheepishly before crawling to get it. She was about to wipe it with a tissue when Sakura handed her another pair.

“When did you receive that letter?” Chaeyeon smelled the tteokbokki and closed her eyes before opening them again to devour them.

“Last week.” Sakura followed her, having learned to prepare for herself now. Chaeyeon was wearing a smug grin when she glanced at her after taking her first bite.

“Then, you should reply now. Poor girl must be waiting,” said Chaeyeon before shoving both rice cake and fish cake inside .

Sakura hummed and chewed her food before speaking, “You’re right. Who knows maybe she’s pretty and nice.” Sakura’s brows furrowed when Chaeyeon worked her jaw in an almost abnormal way, chewing really hard, Sakura feared for her teeth.

“My tteokbokki’s not that hard, is it?” She took a piece and it was perfectly cooked. She titled her head at the side. Chaeyeon’s acting odd all of a sudden.

Sakura registered it as Chaeyeon being worried. “Maybe, you should accompany me.”

Chaeyeon stopped her violent chewing and looked up at Sakura in shock. Her eyes were huge and her cheeks puffed with food inside. She looked so cute, Sakura clenched her fist to prevent herself from pinching Chaeyeon’s cheeks.

“I should?”

Sakura nodded repeatedly and gave her an affirming hum.

“Okay, ” Chaeyeon replied with a smile before eating her food. Normally.

***

“What?!”

“Uh huh.” Chaewon shrugged her shoulders. “Sorry, Sakura unnie. I’m also sad that we wouldn’t be able to watch her dance.”

“I’m serious, Chaewon. If you’re fooling with me, I–I will tell Eunbi that she’s not your favorite Sunbae!” Sakura slammed her locker close and faced Chaewon with her hands resting on her hips.

Chaewon on the other hand, closed her lockers gently before facing Sakura. “I swear unnie, next week is our examination. The same day and time with Chaeyeon unnie’s presentation.”

Sakura suddenly felt weak and decided to sit down on the nearest stool. “I promised…”

“I’m sorry, Unnie.”

A few seconds passed in silence. “Maybe, I could talk to the che–”

“I don’t think that’s possible. We’re not the only who has plans on watching the Dance Major's Presentations. Some already tried rescheduling.” Chaewon sat beside Sakura and patter her shoulders. “Let’s just ask Eunbi unnie to record.”

“But it won’t be the same!”

“I know, Unnie. But at least we can still watch it.”

Sakura craddled her head and sighed out deeply.

Why oh why destiny? When it’s all going well…