Chapter 1

Dance For Me

Some people just want a spark of something exciting in their life. Sakura realizes that maybe, that’s what she needs right now, something exciting in her monotonous daily life. Don’t get her wrong, she is contented and happy. But sometimes, it’s not enough. Sitting on the stool of an empty kitchen, she sighed and rested her chin on her forearms. She was early.

She opens her phone and read the text from her best friend again.

 

Chaeyeon-chan: I’m not gonna be in the studio today :( I will surely crave your cooking for the rest of the day. Take care. See you when I see you, hopefully soon. xoxo

 

Sakura sighed again and the door of the kitchen slammed open.

“Wow! You’re early today unnie.” Chaewon walked up to the locker, unlocks it in 3 seconds, then proceed to place her stuff in an organized manner.

“Jjaeyeon is busy…”

“Oh your waifu is busy.” Chaewon smirked as she sat next to Sakura.

Sakura squinted her eyes at Chaewon. “Waifu? No, she’s my best friend.”

Chaewon hummed in a teasing tone. “5 years from now, invite me to your wedding.” Then she flashed a grin to Sakura who opened to make a rebuttal but Chaewon stood up. “Let’s prepare the ingredients!”

Sakura appears beside Chaewon with a basket for ingredients. “She’s just my best—”

“What method of cooking are we going to do with the chicken legs, Unnie?”

“I don’t know. Grilled, Fried, Braised? You choose. But Chaeyeon is just—”

“Frying is too cliche for a chicken,” Chaewon crouched down and took a pack of peas and some onions.

Sakura held out the basket for Chaewon to place the ingredients on. “Frying is simple and sometimes simple is the best.”

“We have a 50-50 chance of passing this class by doing simple, and I want at least 80-20, Unnie. But maybe you’re right, no one in this class made a simple dish before.” Chaewon gave Sakura a smile once again.

Sakura shook her head from left to right with a smile herself. “Okay–okay, so what are you planning to do then?”

“Let’s fry them?”

“Obviously. How about we braised it with that peas and onion? But once again Chaeyeon—”

“Chicken legs with braised peas and onions then.”

 

 

 

The lights of the stadium flashes before her eyes as she twirls and bows her head gracefully, her hair flying and emphasizing her movement. She brought her arms upward, flicked her hands, then brought them down outwards. But then the music stopped, she lingered until someone called her.

“Chaeyeon-ah! You’ve been dancing for ten minutes non-stop. Are you trying to kill yourself?!” Eunbi went up to her with a towel and a bottle of water.

“Thanks, unnie.” Chaeyeon gulped down the water. Eunbi has been taking care of her ever since the beginning of class, ever since she started pushing herself for more.

Eunbi handed her the towel next. “Here. Jeez. Change your top before leaving okay? We’re going ahead.”

Chaeyeon nodded and wiped the sweat off her face. “Bye, unnie. Take care!” She continue to wipe her back as she watches Eunbi leave the stadium. Chaeyeon looks around and felt eerily calm of the silent surroundings. She was alone. The practice ended a while ago. But she needed to practice, more than any of the person in the class. I still need to get better. I’m not pretty but I can at least learn to dance. But what if it’s not enough?

Before her thoughts can turn destructive, her phone rang. Chaeyeon walked to where she had dump her belongings in rush. Taking her phone from the front pocket of her bag, she glances at the name of caller. Automatically, a smile grew on her face.

“Saku-chan.” She sat down on the stage, press the towel on her back, and left it there.

“Jjaeyeon… how are you?” Sakura’s voice is soft and droopy. Like she’s about to fall asleep. Chaeyeon checked the time on her black wrist watch. 10 pm. Damn.

“I’m fine, Saku-chan. Just finished practicing. About to go home.” She stood up and began fixing her things. “Just a second,” she said to the phone.

Midway on placing her phone down, she heard Sakura’s voice. “Where are you right now?”

“At the stadium, near the campus. Why?”

“Good. You’re close. I’ll let you get ready to go home, call you later.” Then the phone call ended. Chaeyeon stared at her phone, surprised by the abrupt hang up. Sakura has never done that before. She decided that maybe Sakura is just really tired and sleepy. She took her extra shirt and put her stuff inside her bag. She then went to the dressing room, backstage, to clean herself.

Ten minutes later, she stood outside the stadium. She smiled and bowed at the guard. “All done. Thank you.”

Stepping outside, the breeze of a cool night evoked goosebumps on her skin. She took her black hoodie from her bag, wore it, and began to walk.

“Jjaeyeon!” Chaeyeon turned around to find Sakura huffing and jogging up to her.. She stopped in front of Chaeyeon and smiled sheepishly. Seemingly out of place with her pink pajamas. “Hello.”

“Saku-chan… ” Chaeyeon stepped forward and engulfed her best friend in a tight hug. “It’s dangerous this late at night, what were you thinking?” She leaned back a little bit to gauge Sakura. Her cheeks were flushed red and still on the process of catching her breath.

Sakura pouted cutely then buried her face on Chaeyeon’s shoulder. “I missed you.”

Warmth burst across Chaeyeon’s chest and she hugged Sakura tightly once again. “I missed you too, silly.”

A few seconds later they pulled away. “But Saku-chan your dorm is on the opposite direction of mine.”

Sakura looked at the ground and pondered for a while. “How about a sleepover?”

Chaeyeon hummed teasingly, “You missed me that much huh?”

“You don’t want to? Okay, I was planning to cook you a dinner.” Sakura turned around, hiding her smile when she heard Chaeyeon’s panicked voice.

“No! no, I’m just kidding. Sorry for teasing you. Actually, I missed you a lot too. I don’t care which dorm should we sleepover, I just want to spend time with you.”

But Sakura didn’t turn around and exaggeratedly crossed her arms. She added a cute huff.

“Saku-chan…” Chaeyeon whined and proceeded to give Sakura a backhug. “Gomen-nasai…”

Sakura turned around in Chaeyeon’s arms, revealing her huge grin. “My dorm then.”

 

 

“When was the last time I went here?” Chaeyeon asked as she stepped inside Sakura’s room. Sakura gently pushed Chaeyeon forward from behind before closing the door.

“2 months ago,” said Sakura. She took Chaeyeon’s hand and made her sit down  on the stool facing the table top that will let her watch Sakura as she cook.

“That long huh?” Chaeyeon propped her chin on her hand and watches Sakura begin picking her ingredients.

“Yeah.”

“Have you eaten already?”

Sakura only hummed as she cuts a potato. She’s in cooking mode and Chaeyeon knows it. She smiled.

“You had a good day?”

A hum.

“Did you think about me?”

Another hum.

“I bet you missed me a lot. Am I right?”

A hum and a pause. Sakura looked up. Chaeyeon grinned cheekily.

“Yes, I did miss you a lot. Now just wait there patiently.” Sakura gave Chaeyeon a pointed look before going back to preparing dinner.

Chaeyeon ran her eyes around the room. “But it really has been long, I bet the ghost that lives here misses me too.” From her peripheral vision, she noticed Sakura stiffen.

“Gho–ghost, you say?” She was unusually pale and tensed.

Chaeyeon immediately stood up from the stool and grabbed Sakura’s arms. “Hey, I’m just kidding. There’s no ghost in here. I can’t even feel a slightest energy of a paranormal being.”

Sakura let out a shaky sigh with her eyes closed. Chaeyeon quickly went to the other side of the table top. “I’m sorry for scaring you. Let me help you.” She took the knife from Sakura’s hand who didn’t protest and started cutting the garlic.

 

They cooked together and finished in 30 minutes. Chaeyeon audibly sniffed the Rosemary Roasted Potatoes as she pulls the tray out of the oven. “It smells so good, Saku-chan.”

“I agree, I might eat again.” She smiled at Chaeyeon then return to setting the plates.

“You should.” Chaeyeon served the dish and sat on the stool. Sakura joined her, widening the smile on Chaeyeon’s face.

Sakura put a generous amount on Chaeyeon’s plate and just a little on hers.

Chaeyeon took the first bite and moaned at its bursting flavor. “Amazing as always, Saku-chan.”

Sakura felt the surge of hapiness she always feel whenever Chaeyeon compliment her cooking. She took a bite and agreed with Chaeyeon.

“How was your practice?”

“The usual. I need to improve more. I’m still lacking at some parts. I’m just not very good…”

Sakura swallowed the bite she took and set her utensils down. “I haven’t seen you dance yet which is very surprising and weird since we’ve been best friend for five months, so I can’t give an opinion about that. But I’m sure you’re very good from what I’ve been hearing.”

Chaeyeon drank water from her glass then stared blankly at her plate.

“I just feel like it’s not enough… The pretty girls in the class is always getting noticed, they are good but I think being beautiful has its advantage.”

“Jjaeyeon… you are beautiful. And I also believe that you’ve got what it takes to be noticed. I’m saying this from my own experience with you, you’re not unnoticeable.” Sakura took Chaeyeon’s hand and when Chaeyeon looked at her and sees the sincerity in her best friend’s eyes, she felt her mood lighten. And for the first time in a long time, she felt highly confident of her skills. Her hopes soared along with her heart.

“Thank you. Forget what I said about good looking people having an advantage, because you’re beautiful and you’re in the top of the class because of your skill.”

“That’s right! It’s pure skill not luck, just like in gaming.”

“Yeah, just like in gaming…”

 

*****

 

After freshening up and doing their nightly routine, both settled on Sakura’s bed. It was a twin size bed, but both are okay without the space. Sakura turned off the lights and covered both of their bodies with a blanket then lied down sideways, facing Chaeyeon who’s done the same thing.

 

“How’s culinary class?” Chaeyeon whispered softly. It was around midnight already.

“Good. No mess up, at least not for now. My partner, Chaewon, is younger than me but she’s a trouper.”

“My senior knows her, they’re good friends. She’s pretty—Chaewon.” Chaeyeon took Sakura’s hand and intertwined it with hers.

Sakura squeezed Chaeyeon’s hand. “She is, but she’s always teasing me which is a minus to her prettiness.”

Chaeyeon chuckled. “She does?” Sakura hummed. “Well, that’s a minus in my book too.”

Sakura’s eyes started drooping. “That’s why you’re my best friend.” She smiled but it took effort.

“Sleep now. Sweet dreams, Saku-chan.” Chaeyeon propped herself on her elbow and lay down a soft kiss on Sakura’s forehead.

“Wake me up before you go, promise?” Sakura whispered.

“I promise.”