Chapter 9

Dance For Me

A/N: I haven't edited this chapter yet because I'm so excited to put it out.

 

A week had passed, Sakura was antsy. Tomorrow is the day of Chaeyeon’s performance and she’s still trying to come up with last minute solutions so she could watch the woman. But she knows it’s futile. She already asked Eunbi to record the performance and had sent Chaeyeon good lucks in many different ways.

 

“Why so gloomy, Unnie?” Chaewon asked after today’s demonstration. They’re both heading to the cafeteria in hopes of seeing their dance major friends.

“Tomorrow’s the day of Chaeyeon’s performance. I’m still bummed out that I wouldn’t be able to support her there,’ said Sakura.

“I’m sad too. But there’s nothing we can do.”

Sakura only sighed as a response. She decided she would make it up to Chaeyeon. Maybe I could treat her to a movie and ice cream after her performance. She mustered a smile at the thought.

 

When the two got to the cafeteria, their friends were nowhere to be found. People kept giving Sakura glances as they walked and search around. It’s getting annoying and odd.

“That’s weird. Eunbi unnie said they would be here today.”

“Are you noticing this, Chaewon? People are staring at me,” said Sakura, walking closer to her friend as the looks made her extremely uncomfortable. It’s telling her instinct that something wrong had happened.

They went out through the outside entrance of the cafeteria that is directly facing the field. Someone’s phone rang and Chaewon fished her phone from her pocket.

“What?!” Her eyes darted to Sakura. The look on her face made Sakura’s stomach dropped unpleasantly. “O-Okay… I see. We’ll be right there.”

“What’s wrong, Chaewon?” Sakura couldn’t hide the trepidation in her voice.

Chaewon shoved her phone to her pocket and began walking. “Chae–Chaeyeon unnie… She’s hurt. Clinic, she–she’s in the clinic.”

With that said, Sakura began sprinting. Her nose stings, she knows she’ll be tearing up soon. The world seems to close around her and she can’t hear nor mind the gazes directed at her. She can’t even hear Chaewon calling from behind her. She has one goal in mind and that’s to get to the clinic as soon as possible.

When the door of the clinic appeared in her sight, she sped up her feet as much as she can. She turned the knob forcefully, a pain shoot up to her wrist but adrenaline numbed her. She pushed the door open, startling the nurse, Eunbi, and Momo.

“Jjaeyeon?! Where’s Jjaeyeon!?” Her voice strangled and out of breath. She coughed and huffed to where Momo had pointed. Drawing the curtain open, she was confused for a second.

Chaeyeon is sleeping peacefully as if all is well in the world. But then as her travel the woman, she noticed an elastic ankle brace wrapped around her right ankle. And only then she was able to see Chaeyeon’s brows furrowed slightly, almost imperceptible.

“What happened?” Sakura whispered into thin air.

“She sprained her ankle. Second grade sprain that usually takes 6-8 weeks to heal,” the nurse explained, moving to stand beside Sakura. Eunbi appeared on her other side and received a comfort squeeze on her right shoulder.

Sakura swallowed the lump in but the tears were already threatening out of her eyes. Chaeyeon would be in distraught. Not being able to dance for 6 weeks? Her heart ache at the inevitable future. She promised she’ll be there for her best friend, anything to for Chaeyeon.

She sat weakly on the stool beside Chaeyeon’s bed and reached out for her hand. She intertwined them with hers and brought it to her lips. “I’ll be here for you. I love you.” Her breath fanned against Chaeyeon’s hand and she pressed her lips on it firmly.

 

 

***

 

 

Sakura left the room with a huge effort. Chaewon had to drag her to their class after they stepped outside so the woman wouldn’t go back inside.

They ate lunch inside the clinic but Sakura left hers untouched. Her stomach in a twist. She couldn’t bring to do anything with her best friend injured. Knowing well how Chaeyeon would be saddened after she wakes up. Sakura struggled hard to leave the clinic at thought of Chaeyeon waking up alone, even though Eunbi and Momo assured her that they will be there for Chaeyeon.

 

The days passed in a blur. Sakura received a text from Eunbi informing her that Chaeyeon was transported back to her dorm. Sakura immediately changed direction and rushed to the dance major building.

She knocked on the door and waited for a minute. She raised her hand to knock again when the door opened. Chaeyeon stood before her with a help of crutch. Looking disheveled and Sakura can feel the agony emanating from the woman.

“Saku-chan… hello,” Chaeyeon gave her a smile but it looked like a wince to Sakura. It lasted only for a second before she dropped her gaze to the ground.

“Hello…”

Chaeyeon made no move to invite her inside. The action hurt Sakura but she forced herself smother the feeling and focused at the woman in front of her. “Can I come in?” she asked, making Chaeyeon look up from the ground. Then she shifted to the side, struggling with her crutch. Sakura offered to help but Chaeyeon raised a hand to stop her.

Sakura stepped inside, dropped her bag on the table at the side of the door and began removing her shoes. She heard the door close but Chaeyeon made no action behind her. She wore the shark slippers and turned to her friend.

Tears spilled from Chaeyeon’s eyes down to her cheeks. “Oh, Jjaeyeon.” In an instant,  her arms were around Chaeyeon’s shoulder. Hugging her so tight as if putting her pieces together. Chaeyeon’s body wracked as she sobbed on Sakura’s shoulder.

She bit her lip when it started to tremble. Her nose sting and she felt the first drop of tear on her cheek but Sakura refused to make a noise. She had to be stronger for Chaeyeon.

“Shh. I’ve got you, honey.” she whispered firmly against Chaeyeon’s ear and made caresses on Chaeyeon’s back.

They stood there for a several minutes before Chaeyeon pulled back. Her face swelling from crying too hard. Sakura wiped the remaining tears from her cheeks before cupping them. She tiptoed and placed a sweet and gentle kiss on Chaeyeon’s forehead, evoking a shudder from the woman.

“I’ve got your shirt wet, I’m sorry.”

Sakura smiled. “I wouldn’t mind getting all of my shirt wet for you. Remember, I’ll be here when you a shoulder to cry on.”

Chaeyeon shut her eyes tight, letting the last tear pour. “Thanks,” she chocked out. “You’re too good to me.”

“Let me cook for you,” Sakura held her hand out and Chaeyeon took it. She felt more close to Chaeyeon in that way—their hands intertwined—and she hoped they would never have to let go.

 

***

 

Sakura sat on the foot of the bed with Chaeyeon’s feet on her ankles. Applying ice on Chaeyeon’s sprained ankle. “Do you need your pain killers?”

“In a while, yeah,” said Chaeyeon. An arm covering her eyes.

Silence settled between them and Sakura doesn’t know how to fill it this time. She let it subside before bringing up her plan to stay.

“Can I?” she asked.

Chaeyeon didn’t reply and Sakura thought she was asleep for a second ‘til she let out a shaky sigh. Sakura removed the ice from her friend’s ankle and waited for her reply worriedly.

“Not tonight…”

“Why?”

A beat.

“I can’t burden you further. You’ve got an exam tomorrow, you should give time for yourself. I’ll be fine,” said Chaeyeon, while remaining motionless. Sakura suspected she was trying hard with a strong voice. Her eyes moved to the other woman’s hand clenching the sheets.

“You’ll never be a burden to me, Jjaeyeon. And you know that.”

“You have to study for your exam tomorrow.”

“I already did a few reviewing.”

“But a few is not enough.”

“I can study tomorrow, I’ll be fine!” Sakura couldn’t stop herself from feeling annoyed and somewhat hurt. She feels like Chaeyeon is pushing her away.

Silence settled heavily between them again after her outburst. Sakura tried to held her tears back but she can’t. “Do you not want me here?”

Chaeyeon didn’t reply and with that Sakura stood up but not before gently moving Chaeyeon’s feet away. Even when deeply hurt she couldn’t stop herself from caring for the woman. She grabbed her things and hurried out of the dorm.

Chaeyeon clenched her fist as tears poured out of her like a river. Her heart aches so much she could barely breathe. I’m useless, unworthy of her love. She doesn’t deserve me. She’s better off without me.

Nails dug into her skin, it brought bitter sweet relief, attempting to cover the agonizing pain in her heart.

How can I love her so much, when I can’t love myself?

 

 

***

 

 

Sakura rapped her knuckled against the door. Her back pack heavy with her morning preparations for her best friend. She woke up two hours ago when the sun hadn’t risen yet, worked up dishes that she hope could bring elation to Chaeyeon.

She stood there for several minutes, knocking continuously, even calling out her friend’s name probably waking up a few of her dorm mates. A plump lady approached her a while later.

“I’m the resident-hall director. Is there a problem?” The woman looked to be in early forties and is wearing a white pajama pants with purple button down shirt.

Sakura shifted in her feet nervously. “Um… a friend of mine stays here. She always respond immediately and I’ve been calling for a while now.”

The supervisor hummed and squinted her eyes at door number and the name bellow it. “Lee Chaeyeon… Ah!  The girl was picked up and sent home.”

“What?!”

The supervisor flinched and glanced around worriedly. Sakura was aware of her shocked expression as the lady gauge her.

“Can you keep your voice down?” said the supervisor sternly.

“Yes, of course, I’m sorry. What time was she picked up?”

“About an hour ago,” the lady said insensitively. Unknowing to the storm building inside Sakura.

“,” said Sakura under her breath.

“Excuse me?”

“Uh… nothing. I gotta go. Um… thank you for informing me.”

As she was away from the sight of the supervisor, she dropped her bag and took her phone out. Her fingers moved rapidly, the shaking being subtle.

She was immediately set to voice mail. “!” She called and called but the outcome remained the same. “… Jjaeyeon why?” She dropped her phone on her bag and weaved her hands through her hair. “Why?”

She witnessed the sun rising and she had no idea how to face the day.

 

 

***

 

 

“I’m sorry, Sakura.” Eunbi squeezed her shoulder. “She told me good luck on your exam.”

“She expects me to slay when she left without even informing me.” Sakura sighed and checked for time on her phone. An hour left before the examination.

“Just do your best okay? For her.”

Sakura didn’t respond. She knew deep down, she couldn’t let Chaeyeon down. The woman might have hurt her but she’s still very important to Sakura. Who knows? Maybe stressing over an exam could distract her.

 

“So, she just left?” Jurina asked as they seat on the very familiar stone bench inside the greenhouse.

Sakura nodded as she glance around the placing, expecting the beauty of the place to enliven her. It didn’t. Inside, she felt empty. Her eyes landed on a flower that Chaeyeon used to create her flower crown and all of sudden it was hard to breathe again.

“How are you feeling?”

“Like …”

“Wow, I didn’t know you curse.” Jurina shoved another dumpling inside . Without Chaeyeon to eat what she had cooked, Sakura distributed all of it to her small circle of friends.

“It keeps me from breaking down.”

Sakura felt a hand on her back. “I’m sorry, Sakura. You do really love her, huh?”

Something hazed over Sakura’s eyes and she smiled almost painfully. “I wouldn’t have survived here without her.”

“You love her, more than a best friend… right?” Jurina asked carefully, watching Sakura’s reaction. She knows the two haven’t admitted to each other yet or just plain oblivious to the level of their attraction.

Sakura stared at her. She opened only to close it again. “You mean… romantically?”

Jurina nodded. “Yeah. Like you want to take her out on a date. You know, to a movie or somewhere you think is fun. You want to kiss her too right? Kuchibiru ni kuchibiru?”

Slowly, Sakura cradled her own head with hands. “I do… How could I’ve been so dense?”

Jurina shrugged. “Everything came natural between you two. You were too close. Ignorant to the potential of your relationship, inexperienced or unknowledgeable. But I sense you are alone on that part. She might have known the degrees of her feelings for you.”

Sakura lifted her head from her hands and looked up at Jurina like she had solved the formula for the time travelling. “You think so?”

Jurina nodded again. “Don’t worry, I’m here to make you understand.”

 

***

 

“Woah. Why are you in hurry, Unnie?”

“I have to tell her, Chaewon.” Sakura shoved her stuff from her locker into her bag.

“Tell who what?”

“Jjaeyeon.” Sakura zipped her bag close, wore both shoulder traps then headed for the door.

“Tell her what?” Chaewon stood perplexed, but inside she supported the idea of the two getting to see each other again.

“I love her. I love Lee Chaeyeon,” said Sakura before bolting out of the room.

 

 

 

 

“Wow. She pronounced her name right.”