SPECIAL: "once upon a time"

Poco a poco, con voi (Little by little, with you)

“Next finalist, Hwang Eunbi.”

Eight-year-old Eunbi walks onto the stage with her head high. She sees when she bows, the red cushioned seats, the rows that lead up to the centre where the judges are seated, and above the empty circle. Eunbi seats herself on the piano bench confidently, free of anxiety. The child knows it is a national competition, perhaps, but nothing worries her when she puts her delicate fingers on the piano and starts to play. 

She puts her hands down and lightly squirms upon the completion of her piece. Her lips form a small smile. Getting off the bench, she bows again and walks off the stage.

“Next finalist, Choi Yuna.”

Nine-year-old Yuna takes slow, careful steps to the centre of the stage, her fingers hidden by her sides in the plaids of her dress, one that her mother has bought for her for the first time that year. She gives a polite bow before seating herself by the piano, then getting off the bench to give its height a slight adjustment, before sitting down again.

She takes a deep breath when she places her fingers on the keys. When she releases her breath, she starts playing.

When she comes to the end of the piece, Yuna breathes again normally, and stands up to give her final bow before exiting the stage.

A few hours later, it is announced that neither of the girls made it to the top three, but their families are not disappointed, proud that their daughters have made it to the finals at least in a rather prestigious nation-wide competition. Choi Yuna finds in herself a bit of shame, but is still glad for the rare opportunity and encourages herself with having made it to the top ten. Hwang Eunbi does not share the same sentiment with her family, but as the child she is she does not let it bring her down and after leaving she is encouraged once again when her parents bring her around Seoul.

 

a/n: SURPRISE SURPRISE!! i'm sorry for the inactivity, but i'm back (i hope). been super busy with school and stuff, today is a rare free day for me since two of my classes are cancelled (and i skipped one more oops) and i decided i should get some updates out, since recently i've been somewhat sentimental and been revisiting some of my past works. i hope everyone is okay, how has everyone been? i haven't been active on twitter either, but for my readers who are on twitter too, i hope you guys have been doing well too. the pandemic isn't doing a lot better globally even though it has improved a lot in my country here, i hope all of you are safe. i have really missed all of you readers, i'm really so so so sorry to have left all of you hanging :( there were a couple of new subscribers during my inactivity, why hello! hahaha. and well, i will update the next chapter very soon, sometime this week i hope, and i hope this special update finds you well! 

p. s. if this reminds you of shigatsu wa kimi no uso (your lie in april), it's meant to