SPECIAL: Exclusive Interviews with our Musicians!

Poco a poco, con voi (Little by little, with you)

With Hwang Eunbi

Q: So, could you introduce yourself?

Uh, my name is Hwang Eunbi. I’m from Cheongju-si, Chungcheongbuk-do, but I’m currently living in Seoul away from my family, in a rented apartment with a housemate. I play the clarinet for a living, by being in Seoul Symphonic Orchestra and participating in many other performances.

 

Q: How is it like living together with a housemate?

I started living there when towards the end of my final year in the conservatory when I stopped staying at the student hostel. There was this very nice unnie with whom I lived with, until she moved out to get married at the beginning of this year. I didn’t see her often at home because of our differences in our working- or sleep schedules- I think she had a pretty good job though. Then this other unnie moved in, I think we grew closer because our ages are really similar. And she’s also a musician. So because of similar interests as well, it’s nice to spend time with Yuna unnie. How I easily call "Unnie, unnie" all the time makes me really feel like I have an older sister.

 

Q: How do you enjoy spending time with your housemate?

What? Oh, I just- Well, she’s a very nice person. She’s very kind and generous, very caring, but quite fun to be with as well. We talk every day at home so even though we may disagree sometimes, the problem usually dissolves easily on its own. Today was crazy. But I guess it’s also because she’s really nice that we can still get along after all; I can’t imagine if it was someone like myself. *laughs*

 

Q: You must like living with her very much.

*squints her eyes* What? *light chuckles* I guess? What do you mean by that? *cheeks slightly flushed*

 

Q: Has anything been different since you’ve gotten your current housemate?

Of course! Like I said, we’re pretty close. We’ve done lots of fun things together since she moved in this summer. As if I’m a student again with the summer vacation to enjoy. I also got to watch her perform, though it was small scale as an outdoor performance but was rather meaningful as a way to mark the end of the season. It was a very happy summer, I was so grateful to have met and to be living with Yuna unnie.

 

Q: Do you miss your family as you live apart?

Hmm… I do miss my appa a fair bit, he doesn’t call as often as my umma. For my umma… *soft chuckles* I think I understand my family better as I’m older now and living apart. As for my oppa, I don’t like admitting this but I do miss him. Well, older brothers can be a pain in the neck but a treasure sometimes. But yes, there are times I do miss my family.

 

Q: What do you miss the most about home?

Definitely my umma's cooking. And I would say the piano I grew up playing. It doesn't have the best sound- nothing beats the expensive grand pianos I hear in the conservatory or our centre regularly- but whenever I'm home to play it, it really makes me nostalgic. I do also miss the homely and tranquil Cheongju, compared to the urban Seoul I live in now.

 

Q: You’ve been performing with SSO since your last year in the conservatory. How would you describe your experience thus far?

I must say it gives me a very familiar environment to learn and perform in. It’s a place that feels like home because quite many of us are graduates of Seoul U’s College of Music, so many of us would have been cultured with the same kind of pedagogy I’d say. But in terms of pushing myself and progressing further, I do feel I should break out of this comfort zone that SSO lies in. *laughs* But I don’t have any plans yet, because it’s only been two years or so since I’ve graduated. We’ll see how it goes.  

 

Q: What do you think of the opportunity to perform Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto?

Heol, that one is a legend. The most I could ever perform was Spohr’s No. 3 in F Minor when I was in the conservatory. But… I don’t know. It’s not only about performing with Yuna unnie’s ensemble. I don’t know if I have the confidence to do it. I don’t even know if I want to- I mean, it’s always been my dream to but I’m not sure if right now is the best time to take on such an endeavour. Well… I’ll think about it for a while.

 

Q: You mentioned that Brahms’ piano music is your favourite. Could you explain what your taste in music is like?

I used to play Brahms a lot on the piano because I tend to play the bass rather heavily when I play the piano. I would get scolded for doing the same in pieces by for example, Chopin. *chuckles* I usually took secondo when playing pieces for four hands, because I like to work on the bass. After learning the clarinet for so many years though, I listen to more symphonies and of course clarinet pieces. But the latter is out of obligation. There are certain symphonies I really like, like Bruckner’s Symphony No. 7, and New World Symphony- this one is a universal favourite, don’t blame me for being mainstream! *chuckles*

 

Q: What do you think of Yoon Jeonghan ssi?

*side eyes* I knew this question was coming. Well, he is nice. But… I’ve only known him for a day. I can’t say much about him. Okay, but, he’s good. He's a nice person, very courteous and gracious, rather fun to be with as well. Don’t ask me how I feel, you can’t expect me to feel anything much for someone I’ve just met. But I do see why my umma would try to matchmake me and ask me to go on a blind date.

 

Q: And why is that so?

I mean, she's always saying that I’m nearing thirty and I should get married, but I’m still single. She's a very traditional mother.

 

Q: Anything else you’d like to say, about yourself or anything?

Uh, nothing much. I’d like to say ‘Hi’ to Yewon though. Yewon ah, please reply my texts. *laughs* She’s my best friend from the conservatory, despite majoring in different instruments. I don’t keep in touch with my high school friends or anyone from earlier because they mostly aren’t in Seoul. Yewon's from Ilsan, but that's not as far as Cheongju, and our four years in the conservatory were pretty memorable for her presence in my life as my best friend to be a warm and significant one. 

 

Q: Alright! Thank you for this fruitful conversation.

Thank you to you too! It was nice explaining myself in some ways, though I’m hungry and can’t wait to have samgyeopsal.

 

 

 

With Choi Yuna

Q: Could you introduce yourself?

I’m Choi Yuna, 29 this year, from Ilsanseo-gu, Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do. I earn by teaching and playing the cello, as well as playing the piano for ballet classes a few times a week.

 

Q. How do you feel about moving to Seoul?

Wow… It feels I'm living a completely different life here. It has only been a season since I've moved here, but my life has completely changed. I do miss my family, but I’ve got so many opportunities here, both career-wise and also because I’m now living with a housemate. Meeting Eunbi has been a wonderful thing. She’s fun to be around, rather sweet sometimes. And very nice to talk to. It feels like I’m back at the conservatory again to be living with a fellow musician, while I was in the student hostel with many other music majors around me. We’ve done many fun things together, and it’s nice living with someone around my age, for a change, to talk to and spend time with.

 

Q. You do love joking around with your housemate.

Well, she's really fun to tease. I do find her really adorable, maybe because I don't have younger siblings or was ever close to anyone younger than me.

 

Q. Your jokes get lame sometimes though. *laughs*

Are you referring to the Clarinet Concerto one? You can't blame me! I don't know clarinet pieces well. Never had any clarinettist friends either until meeting Eunbi. But I do know Mendelssohn because he's one of my favourites.

 

Q. You do mention him a lot.

Yes, I love his works! His sister's works too. I lean more towards Baroque music on a common basis, but for some reason or another piano and chamber pieces from the Romantic period are also my favourites.

 

Q: You do get into conflicts with your housemate too.

*chuckles* Of course we do. This is my first time living with a housemate, I wasn't surprised to have arguments with my housemate. Eunbi’s such a cute and whimsical child. But I guess because we see each other so much, our conflicts get resolved rather easily. Like today. It just happens smoothly exactly because we live under the same roof. Every day is a new experience living together, it's fun at the same time and removes the mundane aspects of life. She calls me "Unnie" like she needs me for everything all the time, it does feel like I have now a younger sister. *laughs*

 

Q: She said something similar as well.

Oh, really? I guess it's nice that it's mutual, haha. 

 

Q: What happened between you and your high school friend?

What happened? … I don’t know. I don’t really understand how I feel, but I don’t want to think about it. It was nothing that he did though. Nothing actually happened, just me being all emotional and sensitive. I don’t want to think about it.

 

Q: It was mentioned that you wanted to learn ballet when you were younger.

Yes! I was really interested in it, but I know my talent doesn’t lie in dancing. Not when I can’t even walk straight without tripping or knocking into things once in a while. *chuckles* It’s also expensive, from what I know, pointe shoes and the various outfits cost a lot, and it’s not like you can keep wearing the same one for years because of the wear and tear, and growing out (of the attire and shoes). Lessons are also expensive, though it’s almost the same for pursuing the cello and piano. I had to sell away my piano, as I had mentioned before.

 

Q: I’m sorry to hear about that.

Don’t be! It wasn’t of a fantastic model anyway. In high school I practised a lot more in school with the baby grand in the music room, it produced a way better sound and allowed me to practise more effectively for exams.

 

Q: You struggled a lot financially to pursue music professionally.

I did. Thankfully I got scholarships and bursaries to aid me in my studies at the conservatory, or I most likely wouldn’t be on this path. That would be a completely different life, come to think of it. I would have to study a major that’s more practical for me to earn enough and support my family.

 

Q: You don't mention much about your family besides your mother and grandmother.

… I'm sure you can tell that I have circumstances if it's only them I'm mentioning.

 

Q: How do you find your time with HSE so far?

Hmm… It has been really pleasant to meet more like minds, and it’s been long since I last had the chance to perform, since I was teaching back at Ilsan. The first performance “Summer, End” was a delightful experience for me, despite the bad acoustics as it’s outdoors and the pieces that were less virtuosic- well, because it’s small-scale and outdoors. And just to mark the end of summer, I thought that was meaningful. It’s things like these that make HSE feel like a nice group to belong to.

 

Q: You're often on the piano or the cello when you're home. Do you have any hobbies?

*laughs* Don't make me sound like I don't have a life! Well, I watch dramas or read books from time to time. I also listen to pop songs, though it's rather unlikely of someone in my field. Okay, this is not of the most recent times but I love The Carpenters’ music.

 

Q: Anything else you'd like us to know about you? Or advice for those who would like to pursue music like you but are faced with difficulties?

Hmm… I'm not friendless, just you know, although it seems like Eunbi is the only person around me right now. *chuckles* As for advice, I’d say, if you know this is truly the path for you, go for it. Not just for music, but for any dream you may have. Help will come your way if you earnestly try your best and put your heart into it. If it’s destined, things will surely work out so don’t despair but keep trying!

 

Q: That was very wonderful and inspirational. Okay, thank you for letting us have your time!

You're welcome!