One

How to Get Rejected: A Guide by Lu Han
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ughh..."
Luhan gets up from his place on the couch with difficulty after his doorbell rings. Holding his waist while slowly walking to the door, he doesn't have to guess who it is that wants to come into his (very messy) apartment at such (11 a.m, really) an hour on a Saturday. When he opens the door, as expected the cheerful face of Kim Minseok comes into the view, his face expression contrasting badly with Luhan's sullen one.

"Hey." is the only thing Luhan says before turning his back to Minseok and slowly walking back to his living room. He hears Minseok take off his shoes in a hurry and he's grabbed by the waist before he can step inside the room, the heavy looking shopping bag in Minseok's hand delivering a painful hit to his groin.

"Why are you so sulky, Lu? It's Saturday!" Minseok exclaims happily, standing a little on his tip-toes to put his chin on Luhan's right shoulder, seemingly having not noticed the way Luhan's left eye is twitching because of the pain in his groin.

Shaking Minseok off of him, Luhan sighs and turns around to get the shopping bag and go to the kitchen. "What did you buy so heavy? I think my baby-maker is broken." he says while pouting. Noticing Minseok looking at him with empty eyes, he puts the shopping bag on the kitchen island and asks with a monotone voice

"What."

"...Just call it a , you're nearly thirty years old." Minseok says and crosses his arms.
"Honestly Lu, you act like such a baby sometimes. No wonder you don't have a boyfriend, you're lazy, messy, clumsy, anti-social and childish!"

Luhan looks away, hurt. "Oh wow, why'd you stop? Don't you think it's rude not to deepen the wound after you've already stabbed someone?"
It isn't nice of Minseok to point out his bad habits at all. Especially when he's only a high-school graduate who can't keep a job.

Minseok rolls his eyes, which just makes Luhan even more hurt.

"Luhan, I'm not trying to hurt you here. I'm just sad that you're lonely and want you to grow up a little so you become... less lonely. Don't you want a nice boyfriend?"

Luhan just focuses on the cutting board he's taking out the cut some cucumbers. Minseok sighs.
"Come on, Hannie, don't be hurt. I didn't mean it so seriously, look at me please?" he pleads, head tilted to the side and lips pouting cutely.

Not today Satan, Luhan thinks as he once again turns his head away from Minseok.
He's not gonna get me with his cuteness again, I will resist.
"Hannie?" Damn it, damn it, damn it... Luhan starts cutting the cucumbers, a little harshly maybe.
He swallows.
"Oh, um, of course I'm not hurt Minseokie, I was just kidding. Yeah, I'm a child. Anyways, why don't you just go and...tidy up the living room or something? You love to do that and I'll prepare breakfast."
He tries to smile and moves on to the tomatoes while the older man stalks out of the kitchen, muttering something about being single and a date.

The thing is, Luhan already likes someone. Well, two someones but the other one is just a celebrity crush. He likes Minseok, the same Minseok he's been best friends with ever since they bumped into each other one rainy day two years ago, when Minseok got dumped by his of a boyfriend and Luhan was just fired from his 5th job and they both wanted some comfort food. He had seen the last tub mint chocolate chip ice cream and was running towards it, of course with his terrible luck Minseok got to it first. He had yelled in terror which made the shorter man drop the ice cream in surprise and ten minutes later they were sitting together on the steps of an apartment building with two spoons and an awkward atmosphere, sharing the ice cream.

But now Minseok is saying all those things about him and he thinks, I'm obviously not his type at all, I should really move on. Of course two seconds later he gets the bright idea to just " it and confess like a man, just get it over with" and he sprints to the living room, nearly barreling into Minseok who's dusting the top of the door. He decides to get to the point right away.

"Minseok, Minseok guess what!" He exclaims, a little out of breath. Damn, I really should start exercising, he thinks.

"I'm not good at guessing so just tell me, what's up?" Minseok says disinterestedly.
Luhan doesn't care.

"I think you're right, I'm sick of being lonely and miserable. That's why I decided to c-"
Minseok doesn't let him finish and suddenly clutches on to Luhan's arms, nearly making him fall down.

"You what!! This is great, I'm calling everyone right away and we'll start setting you up with someone!"

This isn't going the way I want it, thinks Luhan as his mouth falls open at seeing Minseok so excited running over to his phone.
"W-wait Minseok!" he calls out but then something on his mind says, you shouldn't have even try to confess, why would Minseok like you?

Agreeing with the voice in his head, he goes along with his best friend, thinking maybe this is for the better.

---------------------------------------------------------
2 hours later everyone is present in Luhan's living room. There's Zhang Yixing, Luhan's other best friend and partner in crime since elementary school. There's Park Chanyeol, who Luhan doesn't know how he got invited but let him come inside anyways and of course Huang ing Zitao and his too-cool-for-you boyfriend of five years, Oh Sehun.

"What's he doing here?" Luhan asks, side eye-ing Sehun who's leaning against the armchair Zitao is sitting on, wearing sunglasses and sipping what Luhan assumes to be Iced Green Tea Latte.

"Let him stay, he's not doing anything to you." Zitao hisses through his teeth, as always very protective of his boyfriend.
Sehun pays him no mind, just keeps on sipping his latte and watching Minseok and Yixing bickering about something.

To be honest, Luhan isn't that fond of Sehun. It's not that he's a bad person or anything, no, in fact, he's very kind. Well, kind to everyone except Luhan. He still can't get over the time Sehun kept bad-mouthing him to the customers at the coffee shop he worked at, causing him to get in arguments with said customers and inevitably getting fired. He rolls his eyes and turns to Minseok.

"So? What are we doing?"

Minseok stops his discussion with Yixing and stands up. Going to the middle of the room he clasps his hands.
"Yixing and I have made a plan."

Yixing raises his hand and smiles, the cute dimple on his cheek standing out.
"And...What is it?" Chanyeol asks excitedly, sitting at the edge of his seat looking like a cute puppy.

"You're not included in it." Yixing delivers the sad news with the most innocent smile anyone could ever make, patting Chanyeol's arm as Chanyeol immediately stands up to leave.
"Oh, sorry..." with that, Chanyeol leaves the house.
An awkward silence surrounds the room.

"...So?" Sehun asks hesitantly as if he's scared he will be the next one to get kicked out by Yixing's gentle words.

Minseok clears his throat and starts. Luhan isn't paying attention until Minseok mentions his choice of fashion.

"Wait! What's wrong with my style?"

Minseok looks a little disturbed by the interruption but answers him nonetheless. "Nothing. It's just that we think you could do better, that would make you more attractive so I assigned Sehun to this mission." Luhan's mouth falls open.
"You did what?!" Both him and Sehun yell at the same time.
"I assigned Sehun to get you a better sense of style." Minseok calmly says, seemingly annoyed by the yelling.

"Okay," Luhan says, closing his eyes and thinking I'll get through this, I'll do this just so I can fall in love with somebody else and move on from Minseok. It'll be okay.

Minseok blinks.

"Okay. So, yeah, you should tell us about your ideal type, what you want in a boyfriend so Zitao can find someone to set you up with."

Actually, you're my ideal type, he wants to say but of course, it's too late to go back.
"Yes Luhan, tell us about your ideal type," Yixing says with a totally-not-innocent smirk and Luhan wants to punch him. On the other hand, Zitao is ing good at this matchmaking thing so he has some hope.

No seriously, he set up Kim Jongin with Do Kyungsoo back in college and that was a match no one thought would be possible, yet they are now engaged and Luhan is also invited to the wedding. Also, six months ago Yifan was talking about how he wanted a boyfriend (small, huggable but hot at the same time) and the next day Zitao came in to the cafe they always hung out at with a short boy who later turned out to be Yifan's first ever crush from high school, Kim Junmyeon.
Needless to say, they are also very happy and engaged.

"Hmm... I like people who are shorter than me because I'm already not so tall, also someone with a cute smile and pretty eyes. Someone who likes football like me and would come pet cats with me in the adoption center every weekend."

He says this all the while sneaking glances at Minseok. "But... petting cats at the adoption center every weekend is our thing... oh well."

Luhan instantly feels angry at himself for saying that but also a little angry at Minseok for not understanding that he likes him. Yixing also seems a little sad as the only person who knows about Luhan liking Minseok but Luhan notices Sehun's eyes darting between him and Minseok

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter