Not Quite Right

Cracks

 

 

“Is noona coming over today?” Jungkook asks, he leans against my door. “You said she was coming over today, right?” He asks again.

I shrug my shoulders. “I asked if she wanted to, she hasn’t answered yet, she probably has class through.” Jungkook frowns at this. “Is Jin back yet?”

Jungkook nods his head, walking off I hear him telling Jin I was asking about him. “I’m pretty sure he likes Byul.” Jin says quietly as he sits on my bed. “He’s always asking when she’s coming over.”

I feel shocked by this information. “Likes her?” I ask confused. “Byul is nice. All the guys like Byul. What’s not to like about her?”

Jin rolls his eyes. “Yeah, I’m pretty sure he likes her.” I don’t like this information. People have always said I’m overprotective of Byul, but I mean, we’ve known each other our whole lives. “You look like you’re not happy with what I’ve told you.” Jin says with a small smirk on his face.

This time I roll my eyes. “We’re just friends, Byul and I have known each other since we were in diapers.” I say dismissing his idea again. Jin has this great big idea that someday, just because Byul and I are friends, we’ll end up dating. “We’re just friends, Byul is Byul.” I say in a deadpanned tone.

“I’m not saying that, it’s just Byul is cute. She’s bound to start dating.” Jin says while shrugging what I’ve just said off. “You’re making a face.” Jin says seriously.

I don’t know why I’m thinking about the guy that took the picture of her last week, I may be obsessing over it. Byul went offline very suddenly a few years ago, and lately it’s felt like she’s been cutting me off. So I’ll admit, I’ve been a bit moody. Maybe a little sensitive when it comes to my best friend.

“Yoongi, are you listening, Byul texted you.” Jin says passing me my phone, he leaves after doing so. I hear her text tone go off as he leaves.

A sense of relief floods me, she’s a few minutes away. My mind wanders to Jin’s theory, he isn’t the first person to think this. My mom is wondering when it’ll happen. It makes me wonder why people think that it is the next natural step. Why do best friends have to evolve into dating when it is a boy and a girl? And I know that Jin probably isn’t wrong, Byul will eventually date and so will I probably.

I hear a knock, the door open, and Jungkook greeting Byul. I hear her light footsteps and eventually I see her walking into my room. As Byul sits, I really look at my friend. She’s pretty. But I’ve always known this, she’s nice, another thing I have known my entire life.

“Why are you staring at me like that?” She asks frowning as she pushes her hair out of her face. Byul is really pretty. She’s graceful, she’s smart,funny, well mannered, Byul must be considered datable to other guys.

“Your hair is messy.” I lie as I lean back in my chair. I watch my friend fix her ‘messy’ hair. I wonder if Byul’s parents wonder if we’ll start dating, I wonder if our friends from when we were kids ever thought we would. “So you rarely text me back.” I say while pouting slightly. My friend is silent, I again find myself watching her. She’s fidgeting with her hands, biting her lip, my friend is nervous. “Are you ok?” I ask quietly.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” She says weakly, a lie. I’ve known this girl for what is basically my entire life, and I have never seen her lie so poorly. “I just have a lot of school and stuff going on.” This sounds almost true, but at the same time it sounds sort of like a lie.

“You can talk to me you know.” I says gently. “I know you like to bottle things up and I know that you hate feeling like things are beating you.”

“No one likes that feeling.” Byul says while sighing. “I just want to sleep.” She says as she worms her way under my covers.

I fight the words that are wanting to come out. I know demanding for her to tell me everything isn’t going to help. I know my friend well enough to know that it’ll have to be on her terms for Byul to tell me anything. Soon enough she’s sound asleep. As I watch my friend for a few moments I get the feeling that things aren't quite alright.