Tugs

Torn Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cold wind of the Alaska blows and her bright hair dances with it. The latest DSLR camera between her hands, the sight in front taking her breath away. Byul takes a deep breath and captures the sight.

It’s been years since she last saw her family but she does not complain. It was for the sake of peace. If leaving Korea will make their parents be at peace then she’d give in. After all, she’ll always do everything for Byulyi. 

Byul looks at her wrist watch and sighs, “Time to go home.” She’s a wildlife photographer. Mostly for animals in cold areas. Penguins, seals, sea lions, name it, she took a photo of it. She lives in a rather spacious apartment in Sitka. She bought it when she got her biggest break as a photographer. 

“Welcome home, Unnie,” a smile automatically creeps her lips when she had heard the voice of an angel. Byul puts down her camera and wraps an arm around the girl’s waist. 

“How’s work with the dogs?” she asks. Jung Wheein, her rock, her best friend, her sister after Byulyi, the only thing keeping her sane. 

The veterinarian laughs, “They’re all cuddly. They like it when I visit them for their daily check ups.” Wheein leans her head back and continues cooking. “How’s the wild?” 

“Same old. Same old, Wheeny,” Byul moves towards the counter and sits on top of it. When she was forced to leave the country, Wheein didn’t think twice and came with her. But no, they’re not in a relationship or anything. It’s just that between Byulyi and Byul, Wheein loves Byul more. 

Just as they were about to eat, Byul’s phone rings. “Go on, Unnie. It might be important,” Wheeny starts eating with a smile. Byul looks at the screen and frowns. 

Incoming Call.... Byulyi 

“Byulyi,” she answers. Wheein stops eating and looks at her. 

“Can we video call?” her twin asks. She sighs and nods, even though her twin sister cannot see her, she knows that Byulyi knew her answer. Not a minute after, they’re on a video call. It’s amazing how they have the same features, not even an inch different. The only way to differentiate them is their hair. Byulyi’s dark brown hair is the total opposite of Byul’s platinum blonde. She opted to color it every time so their parents do not get confused. 

“What’s up?” Byul asks. 

Byulyi smiles, “Can’t I miss my unnie?” 

“Byulyi, I’m only older by four minutes,” she chuckles. They’ve always been close. It’s just that since Byulyi’s younger, she’s always favored. It didn’t matter to Byul though. She loves her sister too and she’d do anything for her twin. 

“I suddenly feel like seeing you, Byul,” her twin confesses. She feels a tug in her chest just as Byulyi clutches her own chest too. “When will you come back?” 

She shakes her head, “I don’t know, Byulyi. You know how things are. It’s better if you’re there and I’m here.” She feels Wheein’s hand on top of hers. 

“I still don’t get why we can’t share. We share everything,” Byulyi complains. She wants to hug her twin, tell her it’s okay. That she understands. 

“We can’t share everything, Byulyi. You know that. Our parents made sure we knew that,” her twin sighs. 

“I’m proposing to my sun tonight,” Byul feels Wheein’s hold become tight. “I can’t take it anymore, Unnie. I want to tell her about you. For years, she still thinks I’m an only child.” 

“When our parents allow, Byul. It’s bad enough I’m here. I won’t let what happened to me happen to you too, okay?” frustration masks her twin sister’s face. “How long have you been together again?” 

Byulyi smiles lovingly, blushing even, “Nine years, Byul. I’ve been nothing but the happiest with her for nine years.” 

She looks at Wheein and sees the girl’s unexplainable expression, “I’d love to meet her someday.” 

“Are you not gonna tell me where you are?” Byulyi asks. She shakes her head, “Why not?” 

“Because I know you’ll go here. And if that happens, our parents will get mad. We don’t want that, right? Maybe when we’re thirty, Byulyi. For now, let’s settle with video calls, okay?” it hurts her to never have met the girl making her twin sister smile like she’s seen heaven. But it will hurt her more if she causes Byulyi’s tears. 

“Is Wheein still with you?” Byulyi suddenly asks. She sighs and closes her eyes, “She is, isn’t she?” 

“Yes,” she looks at Wheein who looks away. 

“When will she talk to me? It’s been twelve years. I miss her too,” Byulyi says in a soft voice, almost cracking. 

Byul mutes the phone and holds Wheein’s hand, “Wheein-ah, you need to tell her.” 

The younger girl sighs and nods. Byul unmutes the phone, “Unnie, tell Wheein, please.” 

“Tell her yourself,” Byul gives the phone to Wheein and plays with the glass of water in front of her. 

“Wheein-ah,” Byulyi calls, causing Wheein’s tears to fall. “I’m sorry, Wheein-ah. Forgive me.” 

The girl nods, “It’s okay. I-I already accepted it.” Byulyi could never ever let Wheein cry so she stands and sits beside her best friend. 

“Unnie,” Byulyi says. She looks at her twin sister and puts her arm around Wheein, making the girl hide her face on Byul’s shoulder. “Promise me one thing?” 

“Anything,” she whispers words to calm Wheein down. 

“Like what you always do,” Byulyi starts, looking at Wheein. “Take care of those I love when I can’t.” 

Byul closes her eyes, “Of course. I always do.” 

“Wheein-ah,” Byulyi calls, Wheein merely sobs again. “I really did love you. So much. And I’m sorry I stopped. I tried not to.” 

Wheein nods, “Byulyi-ah, you know that I still love you right?” the dark haired twin nods. “But I want you happy.” 

Byul ends

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter