Promised

Dumping Grounds (one-shots)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

3rd POV

 

 

Donghae has been Hyukjae´s friend since all he could remember. Which could have seemed strange because the boys´ fathers weren´t on good terms, to say the least. And perhaps this wouldn´t have mattered either if both fathers weren´t the kings of their respective countries. The countries that bordered with each other, bothered each other and bickered with each other at times. The tension didn´t cease even after years went by and the princes grew to be young men.

The question then, how come they were friends since childhood? They lived together, in a humble but beautiful castle on the border. The idea was simple and standard. When two countries want to stop a war, they usually ensure peace by a marriage promise. This happened to be a problem though, as in both kingdoms only sons were being born to the queens as well as courtesans. But to keep the plan going, two of the princes were put on sort of standby. Living together since early childhood, they were supposed to symbolise the brotherhood of the two countries. At least until a princess is born.

Donghae was three years younger than Hyukjae and obviously cheekier and maybe even meaner in a way. It had probably something to do with the teaching of his own father. Donghae´s father was in for the peace, yes, he was, but he still wanted to have the upper hand. Donghae was used to hearing that he was handsomer, stronger and better than Hyukjae.

Hyukjae´s father had a different tactic. He tried to stimulate Hyukjae into being sly and smart, to dig underneath and gather information. He never told Hyukjae to show himself off or show his power, instead he instructed him to be careful not to break the shaky peace. But Hyukjae´s father didn´t notice, that for the past years his tactic backlashed and Hyukjae rather than a sly fox grew to be a timid Pomeranian.

The younger prince became a bully, he was arrogant and a know-it-all. The older one quietly followed behind, not arguing when he was being childishly called names or teased. It definitely wasn´t a healthy relationship but it fulfilled its purpose, Donghae´s father was satisfied with his son having the upper hand over Hyukjae, Hyukjae´s father was happy that his son kept the hot-headed Donghae at bay. The peace was there. But no princess was born yet.

Donghae was sitting on his horse, ready to take off for the early morning hunt. Hyukjae was standing there and smothering the dark mane. “She´s a beauty,” he remarked. Donghae´s pride swelled, he could imagine how jealous Hyukjae was of his horse. “Good girl, carry him safely.”

“What was that?” Donghae tsk´ed. “I´m a good rider, I don´t need your worries.” But Hyukjae only shrugged with a tight-lipped smile and made a few steps backwards to make a way for the hunters. Then he waved at Donghae, who only scrunched his annoyed face, before returning to the castle.

It was almost lunch when the hunters arrived back with quite a lot of game. Donghae right away noticed that Hyukjae wasn´t there to welcome him and it slightly scratched the great mood he was in. Jumping from the tired horse, Donghae made his way to the castle. He was hungry and couldn´t wait to make Hyukjae feel miserable during the lunch. But then again, Hyukjae didn´t join him for lunch either. And Donghae pretended to be very angry when all he felt was disappointment.

Hyukjae knew it, he knew that Donghae would yell at him for skipping their lunch together and he was already thinking up what he would say on his defence when the younger prince barged into his room. The automatic reaction was to stand up and at attention and Hyukjae scolded himself for acting like that. But Donghae was obviously angry and no royal title could save him from being cursed at.

“Are you ill, Hyukjae?” Donghae asked sarcastically. Hyukjae didn´t look sick, he didn´t look healthy either but that was his usual visual. The only times Hyukjae didn´t eat with Donghae was when Hyukjae was ill.

“No, I-,” Hyukjae was at loss for words. After reading a letter from his father he went through various phases from self-loath, anger, excitement to courage. But only a minute in Donghae´s presence and he didn´t feel anything else but hopelessness. And then he gave up. “I am sorry. Forgive me, please.” He said with his eyes down.

At first Donghae was furious but then he noticed Hyukjae´s red eyes and caught on that something was different this time. Hyukjae wasn´t an air-head that would forget about lunch, the older prince was a slightly lower being in Donghae´s eyes but everyone knew about his intelligence. Hyukjae wasn´t showing off his knowledge or wits but they were there. And this was the moment when Donghae´s instincts kicked in, he squeezed his eyes to make the older prince uncomfortable and let out a grunt.

“What are you trying to pull off here, Hyukjae?” Donghae asked authoritatively, successfully making Hyukjae quiver. He didn´t honestly believe that Hyukjae was up to no good, they might have been sons of battling fathers, but they were still close friends. Hyukjae was probably struggling with some outside orders. Donghae would put an end to that struggle right away.

“I wanted to annoy you because you were mean to me this morning,” Hyukjae suddenly mumbled. “But it was silly of me, I should have just gone and eaten lunch with you. I´m sorry, Donghae.”

Or maybe I was wrong, Donghae cleared his throat, suddenly feeling much better. He did want to roast Hyukjae a little and make him feel sorry, but no more than that. “Good, now you know better,” he puffed and smirked. “Now, come take a look at the game I shot!”

“Sure,” Hyukjae nodded and then silently followed behind chattering Donghae. The younger was excited and it made Hyukjae feel alive and conten

Please log in to read the full chapter