Start

Chaos

[Jungeun]

The city was in total chaos. There were media reporting everywhere, car accidents, people running for their lives, several police cars were scattered around the city. The general assigned two teams, mine and Hyewon's to man the hospitals and oh boy, it's even more complicated here from what I can see. We rushed inside to find blood stains on the floor, hospital staff and patients running for their lives, piercing screams rang in my ears. Before we could step further, a police pushed everyone of us away from the entrance door. He grabbed me by the wrist as he ran and told the others to just follow suit, we stopped at a corner of the street. I harshly pulled my hand away, we all catched our breaths, we just ran 10 km all the way from the hospital. 

"What the are you doing? Do you not know who I am?" I yelled at the policeman whose uniform was almost torn apart by the shoulders, he also had a gash on his left brow. 

"I-it's not safe there. People. Bites. Chaos." He mumbled while wincing. 

"What do you mean?" I turned to look at Yena, immediately noticing that she's the only one from Hyewon's team who ran with us. 

"Someone who had a bite? He came rushing to the emergency room, got wild and threw stuffs, the nurses assisted him but he lunged himself to one of the nurses and he... I don't know? He bit her? Next thing I know, everyone was attacking whoever they could bite." Everyone had shock written on their faces including me. Biting? This better not be one of those zombie I've seen on the movies. 

"Wait what? What'd you say? Biting? Are you for real?" Hyunjin asked looking confused just as I am. 

"Yeah, kid. I– I don't exactly know what's happening but I'm sure the infection? It spreads by biting just like what happened to Hoshi and Beomgyu, they got bitten then turned into rabid hu– monsters." The policeman whose nametag said Kim Namjoon told us. 

"Why would we believe you then?" It was Hyejoo who stepped out infront of the others. 

"Did you not see what's going on inside when you are all about to step in?" He asked them, the looks on their faces were constantly changing. Namjoon pulled a radio and pushed several buttons for it to work. 

"Seoul is in red alert right now. It is highly advisable to keep yourselves safe, evacuate to the nearest health center as soon as possible. I repeat, Seoul is in RED ALERT." The radio reporter said putting an emphasis on his last words. 

"Ma'am what are we gonna do?" Jisung asked while holding on to his rifle. 

"We can't do anything now, the city is in total chaos." I stated it as a matter of fact. My radio beeped and a familiar voice can be heard. 

"Capt. Manoban here, we don't know what's happening right now, we're at the checkpoint. Capt. Kim and Capt. Kang, have you secured the hospitals? Over." 

"Capt. Kim here, Hyewon and her team isn't with us, but Choi is. I assume they were left at the hospital. Over." I replied back. I can hear faint screaming and gunshots at the background, Lisa's voice came out muffled. 

"What? You left them there? Where are y'all at? The general is gonna be furious if we don't follow! Over." Lisa said as I hear her footsteps running to somewhere over the line. 

"Oh, the general's command, Manoban. It's the ing zombie apocalypse now! Save yourselves!" I yelled at her before clipping the radio back to my belt. 

We were thinking of a plan while hearing tire screeches, crashes, screams, and gunshots from the other side of the road. It was indeed a mess and I don't think this will end sooner. 

Ryujin and I stood up quickly when we heard rushed footsteps and growls coming nearby. Everyone did the same thing while clutching their rifles. Namjoon, Jisung, and Changbin stood infront of us, ready to face what may come. I pointed my rifle towards the sound, muttering '' when I saw where the sound is coming from. 

"What the ?!" Ryujin exclaimed. 

A horde of zombies ran to us, obviously wanting us as their next meal. I furiously shoot them but it was no use. They were increasing fast, we are getting outnumbered. 

"Never knew this es can run." Hyunjin said while firing everywhere. Guts and blood were everywhere, even in our clothes. It was disgusting yeah, but we're trying to survive here. 

"Run!" Namjoon said while blasting their heads off. 

"What? Are you ing serious?" I asked, what is he gonna do? Sacrifice his self? For us? People he just met? 

"Just go! Just ing go!" He shouted back furiously. 

"Save yourselves, ma'am!" Changbin added to which Jisung nodded. 

We were crazily outnumbered. Everytime one dies they just multiply. They come out of nowhere, so shooting them is no use. I nodded at the girls and we ran somewhere far from where we were with my lead. As we ran away, I can hear the growls increase and the faint sound of gunshots. 

"Ma'am–" 

"Drop it. Just call me Jungeun now." I said, not facing the group behind me. We were hiding in a lane that leads to a deserted highway. I was surprised to see the sign that says 'Incheon 27 km away', we sprinted our way through here. I think I can build a track team now. Everyone was out of breath, we don't have anything with us, just our rifles and radios. 

"Jungeun... what now?" Hyunjin asked visibly confused with what we are doing. 

"Are we really going awol?" Yena asked, hands on her knees. 

"Listen, the city is in a deep mess right now. Even if we follow the commands given, it's just a waste of time. We have to survive all through this now by ourselves." I looked at them seriously. 

"The zombies? They're real right?" 

"Yeah they are, we just blowed some of their heads off a while ago. Someone definitely started this mess and we're going to find who did it." 

"That's just so... ing cruel and sick." Hyunjin said, anger evident on her face. I nodded along. The person who did this is sick to the bones. He or she isn't in the right mind at all. I mean, what good will this cause him or her? 

"Could this be connected to the research?" Everyone's gaze shifted to Hyejoo. The possibility of it clicked on my mind too. 

"F-... yeah it could be." Realization grew upon the youngest's face. I paused what I'm doing, ready to listen on what Hyejoo has to say. 

"Cause listen, the top doctors in Korea got kidnapped or something right? Then Major Kang told us about the Resurrectionem Research being opened again by an anonymous. Do you guys get my point?" Hyejoo said, hands on her hips. I'm lucky to have a smartass here. 

"The doctors could be the one who opened it." Yujin muttered. 

"You are all smartasses, yeah. But we're not sure of that. The doctors were kidnapped, how would they open something like that? That's just Hyejoo's theory." Hyunjin shrugged. 

I was relying on what Hyejoo said. It could be true. Everything's clicking, everything fits. The research was purposely made before to cure patients who were on the verge of dying, but it got a terrible side effect. It's what written on some of the files the general gave us for better knowledge of it. If the missing doctors did it then Jinsoul is involved too? But like what Hyunjin said, they were kidnapped. So what are the chances? I don't know, I don't want to think about it. We're all unsure of what's happening right now and I think it's best if we focus on surviving instead of solving puzzles like this. 

"What do you think, Jungeun?" 

"Let's not talk about this right now. Let's focus on finding a safe place first, we're not some kind of investigator for things like this." They all nodded as we continued walking.

As we walked, the roads that were once deserted looked like a road to hell. Corpses lying everywhere, meaning that the infection or whatever it is spreaded fast. Turn overed cars and the crackling flames continuing to burn some of the buildings. We cautiously walked around, the place seemed so quiet unlike in the big city. I saw Hyunjin and Ryujin approach a car nearby, the others flocked around the said car too. 

"Is it working?" 

"Yeah, it has to be." Ryujin said while connecting the wires together. Surprisingly she made the car work. Didn't know she's a car tech or something too. 

"Well, get inside." She added while getting to the back seat. I sat at the driver's seat while Hyunjin sat beside me. Thank god this car can fit up to six people, we don't have to squeeze ourselves in. 

I drove carefully and cautiously around the area. The eerie feeling was still in the air, it looked like a ghost town. I can hear the cracking of bones as we drove the roads. 

"Looks like this area was infected first." 

"So where are we going? What are we exactly gonna do?" Yujin asked as she brought her hands to her chest. 

"I– I wanna find my girlfriend, check if she's okay. I mean, if it's alright but if you don't want to, guess I'll do it myself." I looked at Hyunjin who's fiddling her hands at what she just said. 

"Anyone else? Guys?" I asked as I drove slowly through the highways. I looked at the others on the rearview mirror, shrugs and gestures of no was all I saw. 

"Hyunjin where's your girlfriend at?" Yena asked.

"She's in–" 

"!" Hyejoo said when she turned to look back only to see a horde of zombies chasing us on full sprint. I saw it on the rearview too and before I could say something, they all rolled the windows down, shooting the undead one by one. 

"These ers are really track runners." Hyunjin scoffed doing the same. I stepped on the gas, getting on full speed. The zombies must've stopped chasing after us when I heard them sigh heavily. We were back on a clear road but it still looked like the other one we just passed through. 

"So, Hyunjin, where could your girlfriend be?" I asked while turning back to our normal speed before the zombie es chased us. 

"She lives in Daejeon." My eyes widened at what she said. Daejeon, that's just so far from where we are right now. 

"What? That's like 130 km away from here!" Ryujin exclaimed standing up from her seat only to sit back again when she realized that she's in a moving car. 

"When did Heejin lived there? You never told me." Oh, so they know each other after all. I just listened closely at what's about to unfold. 

"They moved there when you left for the States. All of you left me in Gangnam." The girl seating beside me said while looking outside the window. 

"The audacity of you! Our houses were five blocks away from each other." Yujin said reaching to hit Hyunjin. 

"You speak like we don't live in the same house." Hyejoo said in a bored tone. What is going on right now? Turns out that they all know each other and they all seem to be very good friends too. I looked at Hyunjin and Hyejoo's nametags, their surnames aren't the same though. Hyunjin seemed to notice this and she suddenly spoke. 

"We don't have the same dad." I nodded slowly at the new information. 

"Hey, Yena? You alright there?" I asked the  confusingly silent girl seating on the far back. 

"Yeah, just sleepy!" She yelled back.

"Back to the story. Heejin? She's in Daejeon... Yeah? Look, it won't be easy going there, Hyunjin but we'll try." I couldn't find the right words to say, afraid that the latter might get hurt or mad. We'll try, we'll definitely try. In fact, I'm looking for someone too. I need to get to Jiwoo and Sooyoung, I don't know if the chaos had gotten there in Busan but I need to save them. If something happens to the two, god I could never forgive myself. We're heading to Daejeon first.