Prologue

Chaos

I clapped as the names of my fellow cadets are being called while each of them go up the stage to receive their certificates. After years of hard work and sacrifice, I finally get to achieve what I dreamed of when I was young. It's risky yeah, but I want to do this. I lowered my head as I smiled from my seat, Dad must be so proud of me up there. 

"Army cadet, Kim Jungeun" 

I stood up from my seat when I heard my name. Before I could reach the top of the stage, I turned my head to look at the crowd. A smile made it's way to my lips as I shooked my head when I saw Jiwoo standing and clapping dramatically for me. 

"What a dork." I muttered to myself. 

I turned to look at the empty chair beside her and with that, my smile vanished. 

I proceeded to receive my certificate and award while giving the generals a salute. The ceremony didn't took long enough to finish. I quickly went to Jiwoo as she embraced me in a tight hug. 

"Ah! Jungeun, look at you! I couldn't be more proud." Jiwoo says as she scans me from head to toe. 

"You sound like my mom but yes! I made it this far. I can't believe it." I said while clutching the frame to my chest. 

Jiwoo pulls out her phone to take a picture of me and a selfie of us two. She smiled while looking at the photos but she suddenly looked up at me. 

"Jungeun, she–" I immediately cut her off as she looked at me with apologetic eyes. 

"I know. She never came."