Five

Run

 

A week passes, and the police and school hasn’t been able to catch Mr. Hong. According to the police, they haven’t seen Mr. Hong at school at all.

Because of complaints from other student’s parents, school is back in session. For the whole day, everything is normal. Nothing out of the norm is happening. After school, not many students stayed to do their homework, and Mi Joo is one of the students that stayed after school. After she is done, Mi Joo packs up her backpack and heads down to the ground floor of the school. When she is on the last step of the stairs, Mr. Hong pops out from the side of the stairs.

“Mi Joo,” Mr. Hong says.

She turns her head and sees Mr. Hong standing next to her. Mi Joo freezes in her spot.

“Where is Chang Kyun,” he asks.

“I don’t know,” Mi Joo replies with her shaky voice.

“If you tell me where he is, I’ll let you go.”

Mi Joo shakes her head. “I don’t know where he is,” she says.

“Don’t lie to me. I know you’re lying. Where is he?”

Mi Joo shakes her head.

Mr. Hong walks over to her and grabs her arm. He pulls her over to him and squeezes her arm.

“Why are you lying to me,” he asks. “I know you know where he is.”

“I’m not lying,” Mi Joo says. “I don’t know where he is. Let me go.”

“I’m telling you, if you tell me where Chang Kyun is, I’ll let you go.”

“But I don’t know where he is.”

“Stop lying.” Mr. Hong squeezes her arm even tighter.

“Let me go!!” Mi Joo swings her backpack at Mr. Hong.

He grunts and falls down. “You evil witch,” Mr. Hong yells.

Mi Joo takes the chance to run away from Mr. Hong. She runs across the hallway to a dead end. She frantically looks around and turns to her left. Mi Joo sees a door, so she reaches her hand over to the doorknob and twists the knob to open the door. Mi Joo frantically runs in. There are lockers in the room, and there is a weird stench, but that is the least of Mi Joo's concerns. She needs to find a place to hide. Mi Joo turns the corner and sees Chang Kyun changing.

“Chang Kyun,” Mi Joo says frantically.

He jumps and turns around. “Mi Joo,” he says surprised. “What are you doing here?” he quickly puts on his shirt.

Mi Joo runs over to him and grabs his arm. “Mr. Hong,” Mi Joo says scared. “He’s here.”

Chang Kyun gasps.

They hear the door to the locker room opening.

“Mi Joo,” Mr. Hong says. “I know you came in here. Come out.”

Chang Kyun takes Mi Joo's hand and quietly pulls her with him into the shower stall. That is the closest place they can hide in.

“Let's talk,” Mr. Hong says.

They are hiding in the last stall. They have pulled the drapes to cover them.

“Come out,” Mr. Hong says.

They hear his footsteps echoing and slowly approaching them.

“You stay here,” Chang Kyun whispers to Mi Joo. “I’ll go distract him, you go get help.”

Mi Joo desperately holds onto his arm. She shakes her head. “Don’t go,” she whispers. “He says he wants you. He doesn’t want me. If I give away where you are, he said he’ll let me go. You can’t go. Who knows what he’ll do to you.”

“I’ll be fine. I’ll distract him. You go get help.”

Mi Joo is frightened. She shakes her head and refuses to let go of his arm.

“Mi Joo,” Mr. Hong calls.

“He’ll find us eventually,” Chang Kyun whispers. “We have to get out of here.”

Mi Joo takes a deep breath. “I’ll distract him,” Mi Joo whispers. “I’ll lead him to the rooftop. You bring the cops and principle there.”

“No,” Chang Kyun protests. “What if he does something to you.”

“We have to buy time. Text me. First, tell me that you’re in the library. I’ll lead him there. Then, tell me that you’re in the cafeteria. If you still need some time, text me you’re in a classroom. Once you’ve gotten the help, text me you’re on the rooftop. We’ll wait there for you. If he questions me, I’ll show him the texts as proof.”

“Are you sure you can do this?”

Mi Joo shakes her head. “But we must.”

“Mi Joo,” Mr. Hong calls.

He's in the shower room. They hear him opening the drapes.

“Come out. Come out. Wherever you are,” Mr. Hong sings.

Mi Joo tightly grasps Chang Kyun’s arm in fear.

Chang Kyun pulls her into his embrace and tightly holds her. “Please be careful,” he whispers.

Mi Joo nods her head.

They break the hug. Mi Joo takes a deep breath and opens the drapes. She confidently walks out and sees Mr. Hong still looking through the first few stalls.

Chang Kyun tip toes to the furthest corner and stays there.

“There you are,” Mr. Hong says.

“Will you keep your words,” Mi Joo asks. “If I tell you where Chang Kyun is, will you leave me alone?”

“Of course,” Mr. Hong smiles. “A man should keep his words.”

“Fine. Let’s go.” She walks past Mr. Hong and exits the locker room. Mr. Hong follows her.

Mi Joo takes out her phone and texts Chang Kyun, ”Where are you?”

Mr. Hong grabs Mi Joo by the arm again and pulls her along with him.

“Where are you taking me,” she asks.

Mr. Hong take them behind the stairs. “I can’t be out in the open,” Mr. Hong says. “What if I get caught.”

Mi Joo’s phone dings.

“I’m in the library,” Chang Kyun texts Mi Joo. “Why? Do you miss me?”

Mi Joo rolls her eyes. “He’s in the library,” Mi Joo says.

“Great,” Mr. Hong smiles. “Let’s go.” He grabs her arm again.

“Why are you taking me?” Mi Joo resists to go.

“What if you’re lying to me?”

“He texted me.” Mi Joo shows him the texts. “This is Chang Kyun.”

“Until I have him, you will be with me.” He takes her to the library with him.

Mr. Hong looks around the library, but he doesn’t find Chang Kyun.

“He’s not here,” Mr. Hong says angrily. “Did you lie to me?”

“I only took you to where Chang Kyun said he was. I don’t know if he’s really here.”

“I forgot my notebook, so I went to the classroom,” Chang Kyun texts Mi Joo.

Her phone dings. She picks up her phone and sees the text.

“He said he went back to the classroom because he forgot his notebook,” Mi Joo says.

Mr. Hong groans. He takes Mi Joo and heads to the classroom.

“He’s not here either,” Mr. Hong shouts.

“I got hungry and went to the cafeteria,” Chang Kyun texts.

“He’s in the cafeteria,” Mi Joo says. “He got hungry.”

“Are you kidding me right now,” Mr. Hong shouts.

“Take it out on him. He’s the one who keeps moving around.”

Mr. Hong drags Mi Joo to the cafeteria.

“He’s not here either,” Mr. Hong shouts. “Are you two playing with me?!”

“I’m only doing what I’m told to do,” Mi Joo says.

“I’m at the rooftop getting air,” Chang Kyun texts.

“He’s at the rooftop,” Mi Joo says. “He must be eating up there.”

Mr. Hong grabs Mi Joo’s arm and squeezes it. “If he isn’t there,” Mr. Hong grits his teeth. “You’re dead,” he threatens.

Mi Joo tries not to show she is scared.

Mr. Hong drags Mi Joo to the rooftop. There, they see Chang Kyun standing by the edge of the rooftop staring out into the distance.

“There you are you bastard,” Mr. Hong says through his gritted teeth. He releases Mi Joo and walks over to Chang Kyun.

Chang Kyun turns around.

Mi Joo is staring worriedly at the both of them.

Mr. Hong grabs Chang Kyun by his shirt collar and throws him away from the edge.

“Did you think you could hide from me,” Mr. Hong asks. “Before anyone can get me, I have to get you first.” He storms over to Chang Kyun and grabs his shirt collar again. Mr. Hong balls his fingers into a fist and raises his arm. He throws a punch at Chang Kyun and lands one on his jaw.

Chang Kyun stumbles backwards and falls to the ground.

Mi Joo gasps and runs toward Chang Kyun. She sits down and grabs Chang Kyun’s arm. “Are you okay,” she asks him.

“Did you think you can tell on me, and then get away with it,” Mr. Hong asks. He slowly makes his way over to them. Mr. Hong shakes his head. “You can’t get away from me. Not even in your dreams.”

“Enough,” Mi Joo shouts. She glares at Mr. Hong. “You will no longer be able to do anything to us,” she warns. “Chang Kyun called the police.”

“They’re downstairs waiting for you,” Chang Kyun adds. “Turn yourself in, and you’ll have a shorter term to serve.”

Mr. Hong smirks. “Are you kidding me?”

“Does it look like we’re kidding you,” Chang Kyun asks.

Ms. Baek runs in out of breath.

“Mr. Hong,” she calls.

Mr. Hong is surprised to see Ms. Baek.

She takes deep breaths and walks over to him.

“I’m grateful,” Ms. Baek starts. “That you would risk yourself for me and the other teachers. I am very grateful, but killing a student to hide what you did is wrong. Please turn yourself in. I already told the policeman everything. The school gave me a three months suspension, and they’ll also downgrade my pay, but what I did was wrong, so I’ll take what they give me. Now is your turn. Please don’t run away anymore.”

Mr. Hong’s face drops. “Why? Why is this happening to me,” Mr. Hong cries. “I only wanted a little raise, but the school refused to give me one. I need to pay rent, I need food, and I need to pay for my mother’s hospital bills!” Tears escape his eyes. “All I wanted was a little raise, so I gave myself one. If the school gave me one in the first place, I wouldn’t have to break the law!”

Chang Kyun stands up, and Mi Joo follows.

Mr. Hong wipes his eyes and stops himself from crying. “I’d rather die than go to jail,” Mr. Hong huffs. He walks over to the edge of the rooftop and prepares to fall down, but Chang Kyun runs over to save him. Chang Kyun pushes away from the edge.

Mi Joo and Ms. Baek both gasp.

“You can’t just die and leave your problems behind,” Chang Kyun says. “You must pay for your crimes.”

“That’s right,” Mi Joo agrees. “You killed my best friend, and you attempted to kill Chang Kyun and I.”

“You also wronged the school,” Ms. Baek adds. “Let’s both pay for our sins.”

“And you must stay alive for your mother. How sad will she be when she finds her precious son committed suicide,” Chang Kyun says.

The police come rushing in and handcuffs Mr. Hong. They walk to the front of the school and watch as Mr. Hong is being taken away.

“Let this be a lesson kids,” the principle says. “Even if you’re living a hard life, never do anything that will put your life at risk.”

Everything is over now. Finally.

Mi Joo and Chang Kyun are walking down the street together. Everything is quiet except for the cool breeze.

“You don’t have to walk me home,” Mi Joo tells Chang Kyun. “Mr. Hong is already arrested. No one will hurt me.”

“Even if Mr. Hong is arrested, there are still many dangerous people out here. I’ll be the one to protect you,” Chang Kyun says.

Mi Joo snickers.

“Even if you don’t want me to walk you home, I’ll bicker with you until we reach your home,” Chang Kyun says.

“You’re ridiculous,” Mi Joo laughs.

Chang Kyun smiles happily.

They continue to walk to Mi Joo’s house, and they continue to walk forward to their futures.