Three

Run

 

Mi Joo is sitting in class. The teacher is teaching literature, when the announcement speaker comes on.

“Lee Mi Joo, Im Chang Kyun. Come to the administration’s office. Lee Mi Joo, Im Chang Kyun. Come to the administration’s office.”

Everyone looks at Mi Joo.

“Go on,” the teacher says.

Mi Joo slowly stands up and walks out of the classroom. She slowly makes her way down the stairs to the second floor, but as she is doing so, she hears someone call for her. Mi Joo turns around and Chang Kyun is running towards her.

“Let’s go together,” Chang Kyun says.

“Sure,” she replies.

They slowly walk down the stairs.

“Is you eye okay,” she asks.

“It throbs sometimes,” he replies. “I can also feel your fist.”

She frowns.

“My mother is very worried,” he says.

“Did you tell her the truth,” she asks.

“Yes.”

“Tell her I’m sorry. I didn’t do it on purpose.”

“She doesn’t like you. She thinks you’re a bad influence.”

“I’m sure she does.”

“I explained to her though, and everything’s fine. She understands.”

“That’s a relief.”

“By the way, why are we needed in the administration’s office?”

“Right? Weird.”

“That voice sounded familiar too.” They slowly come to a stop.

“Mr. Hong,” they both say.

“We have to be careful,” Mi Joo says. “He was here yesterday.”

“He was?”

“He was after me, and he said he’d come after you.”

“He did?”

Mi Joo nods her head.

“There you are,” Mr. Hong says from the first floor.

Mi Joo and Chang Kyun look down the stairs and sees Mr. Hong smiling at them. Chang Kyun takes Mi Joo’s hand and starts running up the stairs. Mr. Hong starts running after them. Chang Kyun and Mi Joo run down the hall of the second floor. Chang Kyun pulls Mi Joo into the girl’s bathroom and pushes her in.

“You hide in here,” he tells her frantically. “I’ll distract him, so you can go downstairs and tell the staffs that he is here.”

“What are you going to do,” she asks.

“I’ll think of something.”

“What if you get hurt.”

“I won’t, I promise.”

He turns, but she grabs his wrist.

“Good luck,” she says.

He gives her a smile and runs off.

Mi Joo turns and stands with her back glued against the wall. She hears Mr. Hong running past the bathroom, so she peeks her head out.

Chang Kyun is running away from Mr, Hong.

She takes the opportunity and runs to the first floor. Mi Joo heads to the principal’s office and pounds on the door.

“Come in,” he says.

She pushes the door open and runs over to the desk where the principal is sitting.

“Mr. Hong,” she says between breathes. “He’s here. Im Chang Kyun. Danger.”

The principal immediately takes action. He calls the police.

“Come with me,” the principal tells Mi Joo.

They head over to the announcement room, and the principal makes an announcement.

“Students and staffs,” he says calmly. “Stop everything you are doing right now. We will be going into a school lockdown. This is not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill.”

The school becomes frantic, and the teachers try to calm the students down.

The principal turns the speaker off.

“We have to go help Chang Kyun,” Mi Joo says frantically. “He’s in danger.”

“You have to stay here,” the principal says. “This is the safest place right now for you. Stay here while I go check the premises.”

“But,”

“Stay here,” the principal says sternly.

The principal locks the door and leaves Mi Joo in the room while he goes check the premises. Soon, Mi Joo hears sirens outside. There are no windows, so she can’t even look outside.

Although it was only a few minutes, it felt like forever. The principal finally comes to unlock the door.

“Is he caught,” Mi Joo asks.

“The polices are still looking for him,” the principal tells.

Soon the police comes in and says that Mr. Hong was no longer on campus.

“He got away again,” Mi Joo asks annoyed.

“Don’t worry,” the police says. “He couldn’t have gotten far. We’ll search until we find him.”

“Thank you,” the principal says.

“We want to question Ms. Lee Mi Joo first,” the police says.

They question her, and she answers them with her knowledge.

“The last question,” the policeman says. “Does he have anyone helping him?”

Mi Joo thinks. She shakes her head. “Not that I can remember.” She pauses. “Wait. Ms. Baek. I heard Mr. Hong and Ms. Baek talking one day. I don’t know if she has anything to do with Hui Joo’s murder though.”

“Alright,” the policeman says. “Thank you.”

“Where’s Chang Kyun,” Mi Joo asks after the questionings.

“He’s with the police right now. They’re asking him questions.”

“Where are they?”

“In the front.”

Mi Joo runs out of the room and heads to the front door. She sees Chang Kyun talking to the police. They distribute some more words before the police walks away. Mi Joo runs over to him and hugs him.

He stumbles back shocked.

“I thought he caught you,” Mi Joo cries.

Once Chang Kyun knows that the girl is Mi Joo, he hugs her back.

“I told you I won’t get hurt,” he tells her.

She hugs him tighter.

School is let out early because of the consequences.

“Let me walk you home,” Chang Kyun says.

He and Mi Joo are walking out the school gates together.

“It’s okay,” Mi Joo rejects. “I can go by myself.”

“Are you sure? What if Mr. Hong comes after you?”

“Then, I’ll run.”

“Do you think you can really out run him,” Chang Kyun asks.

“Of course. I got third place in the 100 meter dash.”

“Third place?”

“Yes!”

They continue to bicker, and before they know it, they arrive at Mi Joo’s house.

“I guess you did walk me home,” Mi Joo says. “This is it. My house.”

Chang Kyun looks up at her house.

“So this is where you live,” Chang Kyun says. “I’ll remember.” He smiles at Mi Joo. “I’ll walk you again next time.”

“No thank you,” Mi Joo rejects.

“I’ll make sure we bicker again, and before we know it, we’ll be at your house.”

Mi Joo slightly chuckles making Chang Kyun chuckle too.

“Go on in,” Chang Kyun says. “I’ll leave after I see you go in.”

She enters the fence. “Be safe,” Mi Joo says.

“Thank you,” Chang Kyun replies. After seeing Mi Joo enter her house, he walks home.

The police stay afterwards to talk to Ms. Baek.

“I had no idea he killed Hui Ju,” Ms. Baek confesses. “All he told me was that he raised our wages, and no one saw him. I was just happy he got the job done without anyone knowing.”

“How did you find the girl’s body,” the policeman asks her.

“I went to the rooftop for a smoke. That’s one I found her.”

“Did you see Mr. Hong there?”

“No. He was with me. We were on break together.”

“He must’ve killed her before you two met then. Thank you for your cooperation.”