Four

Run

 

The next day at school, Mi Joo is walking alone in the hallway. She is carrying her books in her arms and heading to class.

“Mi Joo,” she hears someone call for her. She turns around and sees Mr. Hong behind her. He is charging at her at full speed.

Mi Joo drops her books and starts running. She runs down the stairs and across the hallway. Mi Joo runs down to the ground floor and runs to the end of the hallway. She stops in her tracks and looks around in a panic.

Mr. Hong is still coming after her.

Mi Joo notices a door to her left. She reaches for the knob and opens the door. Mi Joo frantically runs in. There are lockers in the room, and there is a weird stench, but that is the least of Mi Joo's concerns. She needs to find a place to hide. Mi Joo turns the corner and sees Chang Kyun changing.

“Chang Kyun,” Mi Joo says frantically.

He jumps and turns around. “Mi Joo,” he says surprised. “What are you doing here?” he quickly puts on his shirt.

Mi Joo runs over to him and grabs his arm. “Mr. Hong,” Mi Joo says scared. “He’s here.”

Chang Kyun gasps.

They hear the door to the locker room opening.

“Mi Joo,” Mr. Hong says. “I know you came in here. Come out.”

Chang Kyun takes Mi Joo's hand and quietly pulls her with him into the shower stall. That is the closest place they can hide in.

“Let's talk,” Mr. Hong says.

They are hiding in the last stall. They have pulled the drapes to cover them.

“Come out,” Mr. Hong says.

They hear his footsteps echoing and slowly approaching them.

Mi Joo closes her eyes and balls her fingers into a fist. Her heart is beating so loudly that she is scared Mr. Hong will find them.

Chang Kyun notices. He puts his hand on top of Mi Joo's.

She opens her eyes.

Chang Kyun pulls her into his arms and securely hugs her.

“Mi Joo,” Mr. Hong calls.

He's in the shower room. They hear him opening the drapes.

“Come out. Come out. Wherever you are,” Mr. Hong sings.

Mi Joo tightly grasps Chang Kyun’s shirt in fear.

Chang Kyun turns them and sandwiches Mi Joo between him and the wall.

“Mi Joo,” Mr. Hong sings.

Mi Joo closes her eyes in fear.

Chang Kyun holds her tighter

They can hear Mr. Hong quickly approaching them.

All of a sudden, they hear the door to the boys locker room opening and closing.

Mr. Hong gasps and runs out of the locker room.

Mi Joo and Chang Kyun hear Mr. hong’s footsteps getting further away from them. Mi Joo opens her eyes. They wait until the room is completely silent. Mi Joo let’s out the breath she didn’t know she was holding. She leans on Chang Kyun relieved. He keeps holding onto her in his arms.

Mi Joo opens her eyes, and she is in bed. She sits up and rubs her eyes. Mi Joo let’s her hands down and sighs.

“What a scary dream,” Mi Joo tells her self. She can still feel her heart racing. However, she can still feel Chang Kyun’s embrace around her. She felt so protected by him in the dream, and his embrace was so warm.

Mi Joo shakes her head and climbs out of bed. She washes up and heads to the kitchen. Her mother had already made breakfast and set the table.

“Good morning, darling,” her mother greets.

“Morning,” Mi Joo greets back. “Where’s dad?”

“His went out today. He’ll be back later.”

Mi Joo sits down at the dinner table and eats her breakfast.

“I got a call from school. There won’t be school for a week. The police and school plan to catch Mr. Hong in that time frame,” her mother says.

“Good to know.”

That night, when Mi Joo is asleep again, she has the same nightmare.

Chang Kyun takes Mi Joo's hand and quietly pulls her with him into the shower stall. That is the closest place they can hide in.

“Let's talk,” Mr. Hong says.

They are hiding in the last stall. They have pulled the drapes to cover them.

“Come out,” Mr. Hong says.

They hear his footsteps echoing and slowly approaching them.

Mi Joo closes her eyes and balls her fingers into a fist. Her heart is beating so loudly that she is scared Mr. Hong will find them.

Chang Kyun notices. He puts his hand on top of Mi Joo's.

She opens her eyes.

Chang Kyun pulls her into his arms and securely hugs her.

“Mi Joo,” Mr. Hong calls.

He's in the shower room. They hear him opening the drapes.

“Come out. Come out. Wherever you are,” Mr. Hong sings.

Mi Joo tightly grasps Chang Kyun’s shirt in fear.

Chang Kyun turns them and sandwiches Mi Joo between him and the wall.

“Mi Joo,” Mr. Hong sings.

Mi Joo closes her eyes in fear.

Chang Kyun holds her tighter

They can hear Mr. Hong quickly approaching them.

Mi Joo holds her breath. She leans her head on Chang Kyun’s shoulder and doesn’t open her eyes.

Mr. Hong’s footsteps are in front of the stall they are in. He yanks the curtain open. “Found you!” Mr. Hong smiles.

Mi Joo opens her eyes and breathes deeply. She is lying in bed. The sky is still dark. Mi Joo feels herself hot and sweaty. She removes the blanket from her and tries to fall asleep again.