CHAPTER V

Rōnin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Minseok's health improved, the men were finally able to leave the village. It was a cold, misty morning that made the peasant lightly tremble. They walked in silence, carefully and slowly taking steps on the slippery stones of the steep slopes of the mountains. Here and there it could be seen sheep in grassland, and in the lower areas were singing birds. In the meantime, the companions stopped two times, at the first for a moment to rest, and at the second to eat the last food they had for this journey. Around them, the landscape was changing from mountainous to lowland. Minseok could see a small port town that emerged from the clouds. This was the purpose of their journey, and the younger couldn't hide happiness that he felt. He couldn't wait when they'll reach it, replenish their supplies and maybe even stop for the night to catch a better sleep. His Master, however, didn't share his joy. He was looking at the city with a focused look filled with sadness and anxiety. However, not wanting to demolish Minseok's enthusiasm, he denied to the boy, that he was worried about something and told him it's just all because of the pain in his injured leg.


 

When they arrived, Minseok couldn't hide his shock when they passed through the city gate. Of the various places he visited, this one definitely made the most impression on him. The main street ran through Tahoku, on which both sides were stalls with food, fabrics, and antiques with the mass of people crowded around. It was loud, vividly, which made it easy to conclude that the people of Tahoku were quite prosperous, living in good conditions. The local people benefited very much from the harbor, which was the largest workplace in the region. Fishing was also great here. Minseok couldn't stop admiring the surrounding buildings, which were crowned with family coats of arms. Looking at the world around him, he didn't notice when his Master stopped at one of the city poles, where various advertisements were hung. He fell awkwardly at his back, but Jongdae didn't pay him much attention, too focused on reading one of the messages. The elder didn't react to the question if everything was all right. He only pointed to his student, by nodding his head, to go to one of the nearby inns, and arranged a place for them to stay overnight. Without unnecessary explanation, the peasant did as he was told, and left his teacher in the town square.


 

When Jongdae finally arrived at the inn, it was already a late hour, and the sunny day was taken over by the moon and darkness. Minseok knew, as soon as he looked at his master's serious face, something was wrong. He felt uneasy and worried about the man because, since his arrival in the port city, his behavior has changed. He wanted to help Ronin, but he guessed that it wouldn't change anything. Surprisingly, Jongdae turned back to his student after a while and looked into his big eyes, that couldn't hide concern. With a heavy heart, Kim took a deep breath and uttered the words that made the peasant stunned.

 

 

- I'm discharging you, Minseok. - He said. The boy shuddered and his shocked expression and tears in eyes hurt Jongdae. - You were a good servant, you'll surely find a new Lord. However, I'm returning your freedom. - he added and wanted to leave the building when he heard his protégé raises his voice for the fir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter