CHAPTER III

Rōnin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minseok and Jongdae almost simultaneously woke up with the sun rising from the window and began to prepare to march out. Leaving the small room, they sat down next to the bar to eat miserly breakfast, which consisted of a little bowl of rice and egg. The elder knew that Minseok was still hungry, even though the villager didn't mention it once. For samurai, it was easy to read him like the simplest story. Jongdae, however, couldn't afford anything more, because they had a really long way to the next town and had to buy more supplies before heading out. He consoled the young man, that when they reach the next place, he'd let him choose a more nutritious dish. And this time also Jongdae knew that it pleased Seok, even if the boy tried his best to give the impression that he didn't care. After visiting the market, two companions could finally leave the village and go back to the field paths, leading them to the unknown.

 

Samurai was really surprised, when after an hour when they were walking in full of sunlight in the midst of cereal ears, he didn't hear any questions, not even a single word from the peasant. For a moment he considered if the boy might be angry with him, but he found no reason for it, so quickly deleted this option. Maybe at first, he was irritated because of a younger boy's talkativeness, but he was more annoyed by the constant silence. Jongdae ordered a short stop when they found a single tree, under which they could sit and rest in the shade, from the scorching sun. And this, however, didn't bring the desired effects, so being impatient, Jongdae finally turned to the kid to see if he was still here with him. He was quite confused when he spotted a boy sitting cross-legged with his nose fixed on the book, that he'd told him to study. Samurai blinked several times, wondering if he didn't get a mirage from the sun, because it couldn't be that Minseok can read! According to him, the boy shouldn't have that skill. He was a peasant and that social class was usually poor and simple, with no signs of any education.

 

Jongade's head began to pulse even more with pain and disbelief, as the young man unconsciously began to whisper quotes taken from the book, which now he devoted all his attention to! Samurai grabbed his head not knowing what to do. At last, he was beginning to realize that he didn't take with him on a journey any random boy, but it's quite possible that Minseok was a talented young man. Because who in his age and social layer can read! What went with this thought was also associated with a new duty. As an honorable samurai, Jongdae realized that he couldn't just leave it alone, because in his duty now was the education of the boy. In the end, only intellectuals will be able to bring their country to its former glory. Debating about it in his mind, Jongdae didn't even hear when Minseok turns to him with a question. He shook himself when the boy poked his shoulder and finally listened to the young man.

 

- Master, could you help me because I don't understand one of the issues? - the boy asked politely and Dae nodded to show that he should go on.

 

- Bushido says, "If anyone in the name of duty rejects his own life, all the gods of the heavens will certainly protect him." What then is the loyalty of the samurai? Rejection of our needs to please others? - the peasant looked at the book, visibly looking uncomfo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter